• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2023 at 1:51 PM, pdags said:

They would make it like a QR code and link to their website.  That way there would only be a single source of the truth/images/etc..

(thumbsu

It's actually part of a secure chain of custody system (including internal processes, policies and audit trails).

-bc

On 12/31/2023 at 10:15 AM, MAR1979 said:

For years I've used PlastX (a headlight cleaner) it works nicely on light to medium scuff and light scratches. However it requires a whole lot of elbow grease, once I even badly heat friction burned my thumb. Perhaps I'll test out this Polywatch?

I use Novus 1 and 2 for scarce vintage plastic radios

On 12/31/2023 at 10:13 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

After the boomers cycle out, younger generations will be left scratching their heads wondering what all THAT was about and at some point Goodwill is going to see trunk-loads of slabbed books not worth case cost.

Unfortunately, many people among my generation (or younger ) won’t respect the “good stuff”  either. A lot of Alex Schomburg gold is heading to the flee market, the goodwill or the trash.. ..

The good news is,  I’m going to be at the goodwill like: 

tmp.gif.8814cf48439f2dea87ed09b8f9504ef3.gif

On 12/31/2023 at 10:04 AM, bc said:

Microchips can provide secure identification for pennies per unit and are more reliable than tape/stickers and easier to apply than etching numbers on a case mid-assembly line.

Here's one for scale (not my finger):

image.png.a07227d1eaa4ff21c06dd26c7e592339.png

Quick video showing some potential:

https://p-chip.com/solutions/anti-counterfeiting-solutions-for-electronics/

-bc

microchip.gif.d20c397c9b19948ab74f61dae4579c6f.gif

micro.jpg.a823e6d71cc6137ddd08c021654fd51e.jpg

On 12/31/2023 at 7:46 AM, HotKey said:

at risk comics

We need to develop some kind of an "Amber Alert" for at risk comics...

It should be the "Swap Alert" and all CGC customers get a text to alert them the moment CGC receives a reholder or ME so all the amateur detectives can make sure it's legit. It takes a village, after all. :idea:

On 12/31/2023 at 2:52 PM, trademarkcomics said:

We need to develop some kind of an "Amber Alert" for at risk comics...

It should be the "Swap Alert" and all CGC customers get a text to alert them the moment CGC receives a reholder or ME so all the amateur detectives can make sure it's legit. It takes a village, after all. :idea:

Actually, was just thinking about something along that vein...

CGC should be able identify the cert #'s impacted by the scammer. If they cross reference those cert #'s against the Registry database, they could inform the current owners of an issue.

Agree that only a small subset of people use the Registry, but here's another value-add that CGC Marketing can promote to regain trust in the product and strengthen the chain of custody.

-bc

Ok, I checked my hulk 181 cert and looked through worthpoint, I think Im safe, also it was in graded march 2019 

but brings up a question, when is the earliest suspected example when he started scam/reholdering of any book ?

I know CGC will eventually make that list some day.... :baiting: 

Edited by Changer

On 12/31/2023 at 3:37 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

All the "sky is falling" people in this thread are really cracking me up.

Other than the perp getting caught & prosecuted and CGC making some vague announcement about internal procedures changing, NOTHING else will happen.

The hobby is fine. CGC will continue to make gobs of money hand-over-fist, and slabs will sell just as well as they did before.

99% of the people that collect comics won't ever even know of this, just like they didn't know about all the other "scandals" that have happened.

100% correct.

The one that killed me a few pages back was the post quoting himself to bump his "Comic Apocalypse" that apparently did not get the response and affinity he was hoping for. But at least now all his Prepping will pay off.

On 12/31/2023 at 12:37 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

All the "sky is falling" people in this thread are really cracking me up.

Other than the perp getting caught & prosecuted and CGC making some vague announcement about internal procedures changing, NOTHING else will happen.

The hobby is fine. CGC will continue to make gobs of money hand-over-fist, and slabs will sell just as well as they did before.

99% of the people that collect comics won't ever even know of this, just like they didn't know about all the other "scandals" that have happened.

I get it everyone here loves comics and will always collect them but I wonder how some will feel if their prized collections are littered with fake grades that they over paid by the thousands for. I find the lets go Brandon type of comments even more amusing. 

On 12/30/2023 at 4:56 AM, BrashL said:

No one that actually likes this hobby wants to see CGC fail. That said there’s a real problem here that CGC has to solve. Once they release the new case (which is non-negotiable at this point given the bad PR around it specifically) and new process I’ll be happy to send my valuable slabs in to be updated.  The stuff that’s not worth scamming will be just fine in the older ones.  People will be pissed for a little while but if the new case is an upgrade they’d have likely done it anyway.  

On 12/31/2023 at 10:13 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

au contraire - the hobby existed for 60 years without them- one might argue that CGC is why the hobby is going down the tubes. All the money is getting siphoned into a narrow corner of the market (slabs) at increasingly inflated amounts. No one is reading comics, they're just entombing them unread in a plastic coffin hoping their stock in that issue rises. After the boomers cycle out, younger generations will be left scratching their heads wondering what all THAT was about and at some point Goodwill is going to see trunk-loads of slabbed books not worth case cost. CGC was marketed as a service, it's initial raison d'etre seemed to make sense. But for the last 10 years CGC has been unabashedly NOT a service, but a product. You are buying the plastic case and the label. CGC is probably due what happened to comic publishing and then comic stores in the late 90's when they almost went under. Greed and unsustainable growth NEVER end well for most people. But the few people that do profit from it will run it into the ground on the way down with nothing but fervor and trumpets. 

A lot of gloom and doom here.

The grading and slabbing of comics is just an evolution. A lot of people like it, or it wouldn't have grown into the enterprise it is today. I see it only getting bigger as the years pass, like it or not.

On 12/31/2023 at 11:59 AM, bc said:

Actually, was just thinking about something along that vein...

CGC should be able identify the cert #'s impacted by the scammer. If they cross reference those cert #'s against the Registry database, they could inform the current owners of an issue.

Agree that only a small subset of people use the Registry, but here's another value-add that CGC Marketing can promote to regain trust in the product and strengthen the chain of custody.

-bc

Still it reminds me of this:

carrotalarm.thumb.png.b830656a9fa280981cefaaaa07d3c75b.png