• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2024 at 5:22 PM, sledgehammer said:

Honestly, CGC might like you to believe that, but unless they are able to absolutely know that one of their holders were resealed, there is absolutely no limit to what scamboy has set himself up to be able to do.

I agree, and for this very reason I think that CGC completely owns every bit of this until they name names.  The full extent of the perp's activities deserves scrutiny.  If CGC doesn't facilitate that by naming him, I will then assume that there is something bigger being kept under wraps.  

On 1/5/2024 at 5:32 PM, Nick Furious said:
On 1/5/2024 at 5:22 PM, sledgehammer said:

Honestly, CGC might like you to believe that, but unless they are able to absolutely know that one of their holders were resealed, there is absolutely no limit to what scamboy has set himself up to be able to do.

I agree, and for this very reason I think that CGC completely owns every bit of this until they name names.  The full extent of the perp's activities deserves scrutiny.  If CGC doesn't facilitate that by naming him, I will then assume that there is something bigger being kept under wraps.  

Could it be one of the newcomers that pushes for the name release is fishing?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/5/2024 at 5:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Could it be one of the newcomers that pushes for the name release is fishing?

For doxxing and perhaps use it as a legal defense?

If that wasn't clear lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I know his Ebay page says he's in Forest Hills, but if you dig a little deeper - it's showing his location as Jamaica, NY.

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 4.36.19 PM.png

On 1/5/2024 at 3:22 PM, namisgr said:

It'll be switcherooed into a case sporting a blue label.

Holly , he was sending some books in to just get them into new separate inner wells, that explains the Batman 442 that was just a 9.0 in that submission, maybe that ended up in a 9.8 case, no that wasn't a big book so that 442 was just weird.

The new holders with separate labels from the inner well is really the main issue, funny to think the older cases are more secure!

I really think there was no resealing to fool CGC. Scammer just slip out the good book from a carefully cracked holder, slip in the newly sealed "inner well" book into 9.8 cracked holder, press it back together send in as a cracked holder. Person doing the accepting is A in on it or B just not doing the best job, pops it out and reholders it seeing the damage didn't hit the book. They are probably told to look for possible damage from cracked holder but not to test if it was slipped out, But I assume if any resealing was done it certainly didn't need to be perfect.

And maybe those doing custom holders was different and just passing them through much easier, again sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer, I mean criminals look for the simplest method.  All this "can be resealed without any signs" is garbage, and videos with ovens and heat guns and glue is so crazy, it was not that complicated, and it's not without some signs of that being done.

I still firmly stand by the fact that any attempt to swap and reseal will be noticeable if you look, and CGC should be talking about that fact that there will be signs of tampering.  Maybe they fear saying that plain and simple an employee just did not checked well enough on cracked holders would be worse for them, but eaving this "you can easily swap and reseal good enough to fool CGC themselves is hurting MUCH more than just admitting a "bad" employee did not do his job on cracked holders would be better.

Edited by HighGrade

On 1/5/2024 at 4:50 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Probably owns a few condos around NY from all the profit? hm

It's gonna take quite a few Hulk 181s in 9.8 to get yourself a nice place in NYC. :whatthe:

On 1/5/2024 at 1:58 PM, WolverineX said:

Other than the ebay handle, has this scammer been named yet?  

Epic_Nation something...  👍

(kidding)

Edited by Sigur Ros

Another oddity. Submission batch 4235257 with multiple grade dates

grade date 4/12/2023
flagged by CGC
4235257-002    Amazing Spider-Man #194 no image
4235257-003    Incredible Hulk #340 no image
4235257-006    Amazing Spider-Man #300 no image

grade date 7/10/2023
flagged by CGC, all custom labels, likely swapped
4235257-001    Amazing Spider-Man #252
4235257-005    Amazing Spider-Man #238

grade data 4/12/2023
4235257-004    Amazing Spider-Man #238  no image, not flagged by CGC

On 1/5/2024 at 6:38 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I know his Ebay page says he's in Forest Hills, but if you dig a little deeper - it's showing his location as Jamaica, NY.

There are 5 ways to get from Forest Hills to Jamaica by train, subway, bus, taxi or foot

Select an option below to see step-by-step directions and to compare ticket prices and travel times in Rome2Rio's travel planner.

Recommended option

Train

1. Take the train from Forest Hills to Jamaica
6 min

$2 - $11

Cheapest option

Subway

1. Take the subway from Forest Hills-71 Av to Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av-JFK Airport
10 min

$1 - $3

3 alternative options

Bus

1. Take the bus from Queens Bl /80 Rd to Sutphin Bl/Liberty Av
12 min

$2 - $7

Taxi

1. Take a taxi from Forest Hills to Jamaica
6 min

$22 - $27

Walk

1. Walk from Forest Hills to Jamaica
1h 5m

On 1/5/2024 at 6:10 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Forest Hills, NY - Peter Parker's home town? I'm sure someone had to have pointed that out by now and I've missed it.

Yea, that was, along with the Ramones.

👍

On 1/5/2024 at 6:38 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Jamaica New York is where UPS and FedEx's biggest delivery hub is.

On 1/5/2024 at 3:06 PM, pdags said:

I'm not saying there are thousands of books out there... but you do understand the scammer doesn't need a qualified book to do this.  Qualified books probably gave him the best profit, but weren't required.  Briva3 could've easily swapped a 6.5 blue into a 7.0 blue.  Someone cracking that for CPR may not notice that.

I do in fact understand that however we know for a fact that qualified books were used so it stands to reason that if the overall sample size were larger, than the qualified to blue sample size would also be larger.

On 1/5/2024 at 5:27 PM, namisgr said:

Richard Koos/Danny Dupcak.... wasn't he from around Forest Hills?  :whistle:

It was brought up a few times even  before I said it, but has been lost in the shuffle

On 1/4/2024 at 9:44 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is kinda where I was going with this.

As someone already mentioned some of these books may be from or for his personal collection. 

Now imagine that Danny during his forgery days added a Stan Lee 86 sig to that 1st page on an AF #15 that was originally missed when they sold off the Wall of Fame books and they believed it to be real. Later he repurchased the book and decided to get  a CGC signature series label added by having it witnessed and signed by Stan on the back . 

On 1/4/2024 at 9:46 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

With the addresses and the sheer amount of 9.8's there isn't anything that says this isn't Danny or he isn't involved. 

On 1/4/2024 at 9:49 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

He has been brought up a few times. About opening the older cases. Micro trimming to attain 9.8 and forged signatures. 

Just seems to keep getting glossed over. 

On 1/5/2024 at 5:50 PM, LordRahl said:

I do in fact understand that however we know for a fact that qualified books were used so it stands to reason that if the overall sample size were larger, than the qualified to blue sample size would also be larger.

I understand what you are saying but I’m not sure even if I cracked a slab for CPR after buying from the scammer that I’d have been instantly thinking I got scammed. I’ve spent too much time in the CGC Quality Control thread to know they mislabel books at a regular enough rate that I’d just assume I got unlucky and they mislabeled a book I bought. The only way I’d be suspicious is if I bought several books from that seller on eBay and then attempted CPR on all of them and they all came back as qualified, restored, missing things, etc. Then it’s no longer conceivable to be coincidence with that many book from one source. But one book? No, it wouldn’t be my first thought to think I was scammed. But that’s just me.

On 1/5/2024 at 8:03 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

It was brought up a few times even  before I said it, but has been lost in the shuffle

Just seems to keep getting glossed over. 

Dupcak has never lived in Forest Hills, NY. Trust me, Dupcak is not involved in this scam. Although, he is busy removing negative feedback from his eBay account. That's one of the perks Power Sellers have on eBay(thumbsu

I imagine the af15 is the biggest ticket item, as I mentioned there has to be a 'legal reason cgc put it on the list as suspect", that is if they will seek to rectify all of these with legal matters.

I'm wondering since we think it is fine, why or how cgc then benefits or risks it by including it on the "list of called out books."

I suppose any found to be deemed not swapped, that it won't hurt prosecution? Or?

Just, there is no way that is hitting the market now in the slab it's in, not and selling anyway, and I don't see anything good that can come from it. It either gets subbed to competitors who will also be aware, or it gets to file thirteen.

Speculation a bit, but I have NO  idea the purpose or if intentionally thrown in.

One could argue putting any signature series on this list (glad if sincere honesty) looks good for CGC. Then most thought the signature series looked ok or was fine, so why risk it  at all lol when other submission numbers are omitted too.

That's how I started my day thinking. I'll put it to rest cause I'm sure hindsight is 20 20 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM