• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2024 at 11:03 PM, brute_nm said:

Looks like there's a new filing for this case:

Certified Guaranty Co., which provides authentication and grading for comic books, sued customers Ulises Zanello and Bree Riva for trademark infringement, false advertising and breach of contract on Feb. 2 in New York Southern District Court. The suit, brought by Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp, accuses the defendants of obtaining high-value comic books in holders with grade labels from the plaintiff, then swapping the comic books with lower-graded comics and reselling them, thereby deceiving customers into paying inflated prices for incorrectly-graded comic books. The plaintiff filed a similar lawsuit against two former employees on Jan. 31 in Florida Middle District Court. Counsel have not yet appeared for the defendants. The case is 1:24-cv-00797, Certified Guaranty Co. LLC v. Zanello et al.

Defendants: ULISES ZANELLO and BREE RIVA

https://www.law.com/radar/card/pm-52207009-certified-guaranty-company-llc-v-zanello/

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/new-york/nysdce/1:2024cv00797/615000

Well I have to admit when I’m wrong. They actually filed suit.  This is going to be fascinating.  

On 2/4/2024 at 12:03 AM, brute_nm said:

Looks like there's a new filing for this case:

Certified Guaranty Co., which provides authentication and grading for comic books, sued customers Ulises Zanello and Bree Riva for trademark infringement, false advertising and breach of contract on Feb. 2 in New York Southern District Court. The suit, brought by Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp, accuses the defendants of obtaining high-value comic books in holders with grade labels from the plaintiff, then swapping the comic books with lower-graded comics and reselling them, thereby deceiving customers into paying inflated prices for incorrectly-graded comic books. The plaintiff filed a similar lawsuit against two former employees on Jan. 31 in Florida Middle District Court. Counsel have not yet appeared for the defendants. The case is 1:24-cv-00797, Certified Guaranty Co. LLC v. Zanello et al.

Defendants: ULISES ZANELLO and BREE RIVA

https://www.law.com/radar/card/pm-52207009-certified-guaranty-company-llc-v-zanello/

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/new-york/nysdce/1:2024cv00797/615000

This is wonderful news.  Would still like to see criminal prosecutions with the two scammer situations (CGC did say, at least with the MJ reholder scammer, that they would hold the culprits accountable to the FULLEST extent of the law), but this is a good start. (thumbsu

On 2/4/2024 at 8:46 AM, EastEnd1 said:

This is wonderful news.  Would still like to see criminal prosecutions with the two scammer situations (CGC did say, at least with the MJ reholder scammer, that they would hold the culprits accountable to the FULLEST extent of the law), but this is a good start. (thumbsu

You never know, looks like they are not going to just let it go, I would love to see them try all these clowns with multiple lawsuits!

This is good for all parts of the hobby, just think if every business went after thieves and scammers.  Today especially, nobody does anything! Theft keeps rising, auction sites are full of scammers that never have any consequences, sad state of affairs.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:27 AM, agamoto said:

This is an aside, but I had to do a double take when I read this.

image.thumb.png.0438bbbd273b5906d459f6d9d4ad1167.png

This part is definitely disturbing.  Considering that I have had some books take them over a year to grade and send back. It should be clarified as once grading has been completed and is ready for shipment.  Not from submission. There were times it took them more than a month to open the package from time of submission. 

On 2/4/2024 at 9:01 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This part is definitely disturbing.  Considering that I have had some books take them over a year to grade and send back. It should be clarified as once grading has been completed and is ready for shipment.  Not from submission. There were times it took them more than a month to open the package from time of submission. 

This is about contact, it says "if property remains unclaimed", it's your responsibility that contact info is correct, unclaimed means they tried and can't contact you, they will try for 1 year, if they can't contact you or you don't contact them, they can do whatever after that full year is up, that's pretty basic, seen that before in other companies.

But yeah, that's clear, no worries.

On 2/4/2024 at 8:52 AM, ramithard said:

now we just need pics of the culprits.....so I know which booth to NOT do business with at Wonder-Con....I can wait another 200 pages....

A Ulises Zanello graduated from Middlebury College in 2003, and CGC was sent a photo of a guy at NYCC wearing a Middlebury College jacket and working for Comic Book Station.

2019, I think.

I would think there's a semi remotely decent chance it's him.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:08 AM, sledgehammer said:

A Ulises Zanello graduated from Middlebury College in 2003, and CGC was sent a photo of a guy at NYCC wearing a Middlebury College jacket and working for Comic Book Station.

2019, I think.

Thank You Sir!!

On 2/4/2024 at 8:08 AM, sledgehammer said:

2019, I think.

There is a Facebook picture of Ulises Zanello with a woman whose first name is Brea.  I have no computer skills and it took me thirty seconds to find it.

On 2/4/2024 at 9:19 AM, shadroch said:
On 2/4/2024 at 9:08 AM, sledgehammer said:

2019, I think.

There is a Facebook picture of Ulises Zanello with a woman whose first name is Brea.  I have no computer skills and it took me thirty seconds to find it.

What search engine did you use? Google?

What words did you use in the search?

It was obvious 5 weeks ago, that Bree Ashley was Bree Riva's facebook identity, and Zanello does not have one.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:19 AM, shadroch said:

I don't have facebook.......so can't access

I'm not sure exactly what i typed in.  Pretty sure it was just zanellos name and the first thing that popped up was a travel site. Scroll thru the comments and it is all  couples posting photos of themselves. Ulises was about halfway down the page