• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

672 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2024 at 5:29 PM, solm4st3r said:

My question is whether the police are involved since the CGC employee actually admitted to stealing books worth several thousand dollars?

I think this is a fair question.  Would be good to know if a criminal complaint was filed also, or just a civil suit.  

On 2/2/2024 at 6:02 AM, dbcn said:

I hope CGC can issue some kind of public statement about this & control the narrative a bit - otherwise this is going to go rumor/conspiracy theory heavy quick.

@CGC Mike

On 2/2/2024 at 7:17 AM, Mayor006 said:

Anyone know what this means for Comiclink having sold books that were misrepresented?

@COMICLINK

Any comments?

On 2/2/2024 at 7:30 AM, drotto said:

He did not technically lie, he was telling the truth about the book swapping scandal (as far as is known) that he was addressing in that interview. That would be his stance.

This was an omission by choice that they had found this separate problem. He was clearly aware of this court filing, and skirted the issues, making sure his language was only referring to the swapping scandal. Plus the interviewers did not press him on if there were other investigations of separate issues.  I do not fault the interviewers at all, I know they had to submit their questions prior to the interview, and needed to more or less stay on script.

Distasteful, and ultimately destroyed trust, but from a legal standpoint Matt did not technically lie.

The Arseman has a history of that.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:24 PM, bc said:

As far as the board loading slowly - noticed that the Facebook add at the bottom of the page template is often the cause of the delay. 

-bc

Setup a Pi-Hole, avoid the ads.  

On 2/2/2024 at 6:02 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

It seems like they haven't even required experience in the hobby when it comes to hiring graders. Do you have any idea why you were turned down? I'm not interested in becoming a grader (or moving to Florida for that matter), but I'm curious why they would turn down an experienced collector.

PM sent.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:41 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

You show me one person that can demonstrate damages as a result of buying a fake-slabbed book for more than a buck, and I'll show you a bunch of complex litigation attorneys putting together a class action Petition against CGC chock full of claims related to implied warranty and lack of good faith performance causes of action.

CGC is going to get the brakes sued off of them. 

bluehorseshoe loves Bluestar Airlines.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:28 PM, Kevin76 said:

Matt Nelson said in a youtube interview recently that this isn't an inside job...why did he lie?  

Are you serious? None of this surprises me at all. This Forum discussed the possibility of insider shenanigans 20 years ago.

Jim

Edited by awe4one

The way I read the case, it's clearly the same as the reholder scam, it clearly says multiple times "swapped" and "taken from a legit higher graded book" but uses the word duplicate, but when you do a reholder you print a duplicate of the legit label so that is why the word duplicate is used, it's not a new label it's a duplicate label of the original which it says he printed and was "taken" from the legit graded book. but people are saying no labels can be trusted, there are duplicates certs, etc... it's really nuts.

People are taking this wording the wrong way, this is the same method as the reholder, I read it a few times. So CGC has to come out and explicitly explain all this, and also needs to explain that the holders are tamper evident, nobody was swapping books with heat guns that show no sign of tampering.

Also found it very interesting the wife accepted books at shows for CGC, could she have been accepting reholder subs? probably, but who knows!! we need to hear all this from CGC! or else rumors will make it WORSE! and it's bad enough.

On 2/2/2024 at 12:08 PM, HighGrade said:

but uses the word duplicate, but when you do a reholder you print a duplicate of the legit label so that is why the word duplicate is used, it's not a new label it's a duplicate label of the original which it says he printed and was "taken" from the legit graded book

I noticed those words being used. This is something I will need to circle back to on those SS books. 

Edited by comicwiz

Just baseless supposition but given the increasing number of "CGC lost my books" posts on the forums over last couple of years, I find it hard to believe that this was only one person (and their wife) stealing books. I will be very interested once exhibits start being submitted and fully expect to see some testimony from now former employee's cooperating with CGC's attorney's.

On 2/2/2024 at 12:28 AM, Kevin76 said:

Matt Nelson said in a youtube interview recently that this isn't an inside job...why did he lie?  

He was not being asked about this case being an inside job, he was asked about swapgate being an inside. To his knowledge that scandal is not an inside job. So he told the truth from a particular point of view.

You have to remember everything Matt said was carefully curated by legal, and he did not give any responses that legal did not pre-approve. That interview was only about swapgate, so all responses are only about swapgate. This is a separate matter, and they had not gone public with this one yet.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:53 AM, Iconic1s said:

In order to restore confidence CGC needs new leadership. All these issues in the last couple years…holder swapping, thieving employees, QC issues, getting into bed with substantiated scammers at certain auction houses, the ridiculous tone the company has set on social media… (dumb holiday videos and pimping out their signings), not to mention signers know whose books they are working on!  You never even really know when you will see your books again either.  Convincing us Newton Rings are “normal” :facepalm:  CGC is lucky they have LOYAL customers, or maybe ignorant ones that aren’t paying attention.  As much as I want them to succeed they actually DESERVE to fail at this point.

This is literally a joke now. CGC is being turned into nothing but a gimmick under current leadership.  It is a clear case of the Fox guarding the Hen House.  Letting graders/employees submit and sell books… but you better stay anonymous!  Seriously!!  Keep experts in grading but get a business person in charge of the business.

The President may not have “lied” in a legal sense regarding an inside person on one scandal, but while also having knowledge of this issue, he sure as heck misled a ton of pretty loyal customers that really do want to see this company succeed, either because of the pure love of the hobby, or financial reasons.

It’s clear that although Nelson may be a comic book authority, he is wholly unqualified to run a half a billion dollar company.

Employees were able to steal our books, grade them, and sell them!!  Let THAT sink in a minute.

There is a clear loss of trust and confidence regarding CGC leadership and for the Company’s survival it’s time to clean house.

I have submitted/bought my last CGC graded book until I see a real visible effort by them to right this sinking ship.

CGC is getting dangerously close to 'Rebranding Territory'.

The business acumen of their competitors is also playing a part in how bad/worse the situation could get. Investing every penny they can squeeze into their marketing budget could give CGC a Tyson-sized black eye. The situation is ripe for a massive marketing push that could swing things to their advantage in a way that their current method of attrition-based branding philosophy just hasn't worked. The competitions position in the market right now is an Ad Agency's wet dream - but from what I have seen since it's inception, I don't think they have the horsepower or foresight to take advantage.