• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
10 10

218 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2024 at 7:13 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

And more on topic, I think I understand having not known to begin with, but basically these are sports authenticator that cgc bought up? So it is a new set of cards, video games, comics and etc of signatures to to learn to authenticate.

My oh my. Everything seems to be above my pay grade lately.

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks @onlyweaknesskryptonite

I truly needed this whether subconsciously or idk. I just might need a minute lol

41k1EBJLhuL._AC_SY580_.jpg.1aa793c19eb4174db21bed74b217dd8f.jpg

JSA authenticates everything; Historical documents, military signed paperwork, Celebrity autos... if you're curious here are a couple examples:

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.1ef87631ceb6d8dc1b9ff13f191f06c7.jpeg

Gena Lee Nolin "Sheena"

image.thumb.jpeg.ea9e86240b06cee3b4fc8115de0be1ce.jpeg

Taylor Swift

image.thumb.jpeg.601012fca60ecb67274edec4c5555a10.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.db04959f46e23d7b46eb9c861c19fbf9.jpeg

King George

Full disclosure, I generally use JSA over PSA/Beckett so I have bias.

On 3/20/2024 at 7:32 PM, DougC said:

JSA authenticates everything; Historical documents, military signed paperwork, Celebrity autos... if you're curious here are a couple examples:

Hide contents

image.thumb.jpeg.1ef87631ceb6d8dc1b9ff13f191f06c7.jpeg

Gena Lee Nolin "Sheena"

image.thumb.jpeg.ea9e86240b06cee3b4fc8115de0be1ce.jpeg

Taylor Swift

image.thumb.jpeg.601012fca60ecb67274edec4c5555a10.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.db04959f46e23d7b46eb9c861c19fbf9.jpeg

King George

Full disclosure, I generally use JSA over PSA/Beckett so I have bias.

Interesting, so it might have some crossover signatures. I wonder if that means there will also now be coas with cgc, given their repertoire and non encased items.

These hobbies just got bigger to me, for a lot of new info and or interest.

I suppose this give validation to cgc being in this field, does it then help out the ones lesser known, as in cgc didn't buy out video games or VHS. I suppose coidnt hoit should suffice for now, ahem cough, sointenly.

It just means more for me to learn or decide to take up 👆 

On 3/20/2024 at 6:25 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

:whistle:

f8f35eb1a91e7aa43200791cbe37a2d5-1-edited.jpg.1ad0e78fa8315be32816110d8a3c1eed.jpg

Nah, label gotta be...

20240320_185026.gif.d14bd81faafa78e1ab5730d6d16e2011.gif

On 3/20/2024 at 7:25 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 3/20/2024 at 1:17 PM, grendelbo said:

img_2737.png.9fba037d5845da622606220c219f28fc.png

Expand  

:whistle:

f8f35eb1a91e7aa43200791cbe37a2d5-1-edited.jpg.1ad0e78fa8315be32816110d8a3c1eed.jpg

Isn't their pedigree label black like a credit card reference? Not that they'd upscale a verified label.

Although a grayscale does kind of make sense given the subject matter meh

For comics anyway. Idk. Wouldn't they want it to be universally the color throughout their encapsulation or will it still be only the comics division, and did jsa used to only do COAs or some kind of encapsulation too?

The "Grey" knows, I think I'm doing this tag right @bc  :ohnoez:

On 3/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Isn't their pedigree label black like a credit card reference? Not that they'd upscale a verified label.

For comics anyway. Idk. Wouldn't they want it to be universally the color throughout their encapsulation or will it still be only the comics division, and did jsa used to only do COAs or some kind of encapsulation too?

8jyk7h.jpg

-bc

On 3/20/2024 at 2:08 PM, lostboys said:

Ill never buy a graded book with a sig that wasnt witnessed.

You might not. But this just put the dagger in CBCS heart. There is a market for it and prices will easily be higher than cbcs signed comics. 

On 3/20/2024 at 5:17 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

JSA and PSA both started with a primary focus in sports 20 years ago. Since then they have generalized and authenticate a wide range of fields now. The same with Beckett (BAS) who certifies for CBCS.

How is JSA's reputation in the autograph industry? I know they are one of the larger but do they have a good rep?

On 3/20/2024 at 7:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

On 3/20/2024 at 8:07 PM, bc said:

8jyk7h.jpg

-bc

Grey couldn't be used as the new pedigree labels would be to similar.  

As others have mentioned they would be limited to few options. 

Existing. 

Green - Qualified 

Blue - Universal 

Grey - Pedigree 

Yellow- Signature Series 

Purple- Restored

Which really only leaves 

Red - Which were the original labels from 1st CGC cases and makes this choice highly unlikely.  (Plus nothing like slapping a big stop sign on your new Verified Signature Program. 

White - Seems too basic.

Orange - which seems to have a strong possibility and several have already mentioned. 

Brown- kinda fitting, but unlikely. 

Black label - Would be neat and i do like this option, but given all text etc would then be inverse (white or colored) also unlikely. 

Outside of those would be non standard colors which are also highly unlikely.  

I’ve used JSA at wrestling cons and card shows that aren’t comic-centric. I’ll be very interested how JSA’s “just bring your signed items to our table over in a remote corner and we’ll slap stickers on it” standards will mesh with CGC’s “unless you have a middle aged man in a red shirt follow you every step of the con your sig IS UNVERIFIED!” policy

On 3/20/2024 at 9:21 PM, Cman429 said:

I’ve used JSA at wrestling cons and card shows that aren’t comic-centric. I’ll be very interested how JSA’s “just bring your signed items to our table over in a remote corner and we’ll slap stickers on it” standards will mesh with CGC’s “unless you have a middle aged man in a red shirt follow you every step of the con your sig IS UNVERIFIED!” policy

I think this is going to be what needs explained out the most as the process is completely different between the companies.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:35 PM, shadroch said:

How is JSA's reputation in the autograph industry? I know they are one of the larger but do they have a good rep?

I am bias but I prefer them over PSA; there reputation is solid but like every 3rd party there have been forgeries passed. In collecting groups we have the same type of saying "buy the auto not the sticker" (buy the book not the grade) that we have here. When I purchased my Muhammad Ali auto I eventually went with one authenticated by PSA as I didn't like the look of the one by JSA.

On 3/20/2024 at 9:04 PM, cousin itt said:

I wonder if they'll be authenticating dynamic forces books (like the Jack Kirby ones).

From the way the announcement reads; they will. I am looking forward to the submissions for the old Wizard Authentic books, as well as all of the limited print 90's ashcans that only had signed copies, and other books that only came autographed.... maybe QVC will rise again with signed comic exclusives...lol

On 3/20/2024 at 10:21 PM, Cman429 said:

Clearly they are offering a new service. It won't mesh at all with the previous service. One will be witnessed by the red shirted fellow and the other will be verified by the JSA fellow.