• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 1
20 20

173 posts in this topic

I got 7 points - three were 1 grade off and two were 2 off.

I was 2 low on both the Avengers and Franky - I guess I counted the creasing too heavily, that is, like most CGC graders treat creasing on MY books. :(

Not a bad round, but I also dinged the Showcase #97 for the foxing on the back cover...dropped it to 9.2 because a book I submitted last year that looked like a 9.6 got dropped to 9.2 because of a small spot of foxing on the front cover.

I guess timing is everything! :smile:

That looked like an obvious stain on the top back of that Showcase!  Not sure I have seen foxing that looks like a discolored spilled splotch like that before.  The grading notes saying that was foxing and not a stain would have been extremely helpful and necessary to grade that one.  :pullhair:

I got 3 points on the Showcase 97 because I mistakenly thought those were stains and 2 points on the Superman 75 because I thought there was a 1/4" crease in the bottom right corner FC that I guess wasn't there or that book couldn't be a 9.4. Those mistakes are due to not having the book in hand. Once I saw the notes I actually agree with 4 of the grades, but the biggest surprise to me was the ASM 252. There is about 1/4" tear w 1 1/2" crease along with spine ticks, large scuff all color breaking. In addition, it is just an overall dingy copy for a modern book. That book should never be better than 8.0 and I would personally grade it at 7.5. 

On 4/23/2024 at 9:59 AM, apocalypse76 said:

but the biggest surprise to me was the ASM 252. There is about 1/4" tear w 1 1/2" crease along with spine ticks, large scuff all color breaking. In addition, it is just an overall dingy copy for a modern book. That book should never be better than 8.0 and I would personally grade it at 7.5.

I'm glad you said that as I thought I was the only one who undergraded it. I went for 7.5 too, but on the basis that I'd call it a 7.0, so CGC would go higher. 

• Administrator
On 4/23/2024 at 3:53 AM, TC33 said:

That looked like an obvious stain on the top back of that Showcase!  Not sure I have seen foxing that looks like a discolored spilled splotch like that before.  The grading notes saying that was foxing and not a stain would have been extremely helpful and necessary to grade that one.  :pullhair:

It's hard to choose which notes that I should include with the books.  My current rule is, if I can see the defect, I do not note it.  With that said, I suppose that there are exceptions to every rule.

image.png

On 4/23/2024 at 7:54 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm glad you said that as I thought I was the only one who undergraded it. I went for 7.5 too, but on the basis that I'd call it a 7.0, so CGC would go higher. 

There were three of us at least with 7.5 on that one. I have CGC 6.5s that have smaller flaws.

Ummmm......Not exactly what I meant when I said " I nailed it!" :whistle:

9517_original.jpg

Avengers #10 = 9.0 (-2)

Frankenstein #13 = 9.2 (0)

Showcase #97 = 8.5 (-4)

Spidey #252 = 8.0 (-1)

Superman #75 = 9.0 (-2)

TOTAL = (-9)

:cry:

I call Mulligan!!!!

On 4/23/2024 at 7:58 AM, CGC Mike said:

It's hard to choose which notes that I should include with the books.  My current rule is, if I can see the defect, I do not note it.  With that said, I suppose that there are exceptions to every rule.

image.png

Frankly, I would have graded it the same (9.0) whether it was foxing or some other sort of stain. I don't see this as a miss on your part, Mike. :foryou: 

According to the CGC Grading Guide foxing is allowed up to 9.8, but I would have assumed that in higher grades that would mean a very small and light spot of foxing that is barely visible. I never would have thought that a large and moderately dark spot could go to 9.6. 

On 4/22/2024 at 8:05 PM, Lninefingers said:

I was sure that was a stain on the back of the power girl book and treated it accordingly. 

Same, I knocked it down to an 8.0 because of that.

Man, this was...not pretty.

Just getting to this got home late last night.  6 points...one bullseye on the ASM 262 if my math is correct. :headbang:  I started the AV 10 at 8.0/8.5...and initially settled on 8.5.  As I am a chronic under-grader, I bumped all my grades one grade...thus gave the AV 10 a 9.0.  This worked out for me on 2 books and got me .2 closer...and negatively on one book the FM 13 and got me .2 more away and the AV 10 .5 more away.  Pretty happy with this round...I'm usually pretty iffy on HG books especially beyond Silver Age.

(If I would've left them as is would've been a 7 without the bullseye...)

On 4/23/2024 at 6:58 AM, CGC Mike said:

image.png

I got absolutely crushed by that book, but I like your standard for commenting and wouldn't change the way you do it.