• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 2
16 16

214 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2024 at 9:54 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was fine until eyeing that Superman book, I thought perhaps NM as well for it, or I just didn't do due diligence, like at all doh!

12 pts

I saw some major fugly flaws on the right side of that front cover - gave it a 6.0

On 4/27/2024 at 12:47 PM, boron said:

I saw some major fugly flaws on the right side of that front cover - gave it a 6.0

I did as well but made the assumption it was camera glare.  Whenever there's glare on the spine, I assume anything that looks like glare on the right side most likely is glare.  That same issue got me a few times previously.

On 4/27/2024 at 9:00 AM, skypinkblu said:

Seriously...over the years I've been told that certain chief graders lowered grades for certain defects, Steve hated one thing and Mark another (don't remember which was which, but one was water damage and the other was stains).

Yep.  A very close friend who was a frequent submitter to CGC in the early days told me that Borock was a bit less critical of inside cover toning/halos than Haspel (which may have something to do with Mark's involvement with the Spokane Collection).  But back then, each book was graded by three experienced staff (which tended to compensate for the differences in the "pet peeves" of the various graders).

On 4/27/2024 at 12:47 PM, boron said:

Ok this makes me feel slightly better, because I gave it a 6.5 and was suddenly feeling like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Misery loves company.

I usually feel like I do a respectable, middle-of-the-pack job on these contest, but I am really eating carp this time around.

On 4/27/2024 at 1:52 AM, AJD said:

Wow, after doing a Hindenburg impersonation in round 1, I think I'll take four bulls and the +2 for my correct grade on that "9.6"

Fantastic! Go on and win it, Andy. I'm living vicariously through you now :wishluck:

clap.gif.15d54f58220ddd1ff2eb431828621889.gif

On 4/27/2024 at 6:39 PM, F For Fake said:

I usually feel like I do a respectable, middle-of-the-pack job on these contest, but I am really eating carp this time around.

Unmutual.thumb.PNG.74999036f5f964bd543c314c8a7869d7.PNG

Prisoner-StillTongue.gif.9f610a2b82982e67cd2a246434bbd35f.gif

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Low ceilings

On 4/26/2024 at 10:45 PM, Cerebus3000 said:

I have a tendency to zoom way in and say "dang, look at that crease" or "that stain is huge". Fortunately I usually catch myself by holding a comic up to the screen and sizing the picture before passing final judgment.

I use the high res images just to be sure I am not missing anything, and use the "normal" size image for the grade. IMO it's a mistake to spend too much time on the high res... it magnifies every little crease and corner rub into more than it appears in hand. Especially on dark colors. 

I actually did better on this round (5 pts), but I have to say the 9.6 Showcase (with the stain) from Round 1 got into my dome and discombobulated me. :insane:  That said, it actually helped me with the Marvel Spotlight. I gave it a 9.2 (with the dust shadow), which is more generous than I would have been prior to Round 1. Previously I would have thought shadows and or moderate stains would be VF territory at best. 

On 4/27/2024 at 8:14 PM, Yorick said:

I'm thinking if someone just put 9.2 for every book, would they win this?  :goodvsevil:

Many a true word, Yoz... Well ask zzutak at the end.

On 4/27/2024 at 2:14 PM, Yorick said:

I'm thinking if someone just put 9.2 for every book, would they win this?  :goodvsevil:

I thought about it for last two rounds.  Regretfully, I didn't try it this round.  Two of them would be two bullseyes but it may be ended up with 8 points. Ironically, I ended up with 9 points on my own judgement.

Edited by JollyComics

On 4/27/2024 at 1:14 PM, Yorick said:

Top 10 for sure.

On 4/27/2024 at 3:14 PM, Yorick said:

In the first round I gave 3/5 books a 9.4. If I had stuck with that strategy this round I’m sure I’d be in the top 10 when standings are posted. 

On 4/27/2024 at 6:04 AM, trmoore54 said:

Just getting to the reveal.  Was doing pretty good out of the gate...first 3 books .2 off = 3 points...4th book the Transformers I went 9.0 = 2 points and then got nose-punched on the Supe 50 went 9.4 :whatthe: for 4 points = total 9 points.  Ugh.  At least I didn't go double digit points.  Congrats to anyone with a 6 or less on this round.

Come to the Dark Side...

• Administrator
On 4/27/2024 at 2:58 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Don't worry about it, Triple F. The book selection is really poor this competition, let's face it. And if anything, all it's doing is showing that CGC don't know how to grade. Or put on an enjoyable contest, free though it is with prize money for the winners. Join in next quarter for 20 copper 8.5's! Or thereabouts. 

This is overly harsh.  If I am wrong, there will be no more contests.  A ton of time and money are put into these.  No point in doing them if they are not enjoyable.  

• Administrator
On 4/27/2024 at 1:03 PM, Jackhartmann said:

submitted. 

Hi

The grades were due yesterday at 8:00 PM eastern time.  I just checked the e-mail, and it shows they were sent at 1:03 PM today.

Sorry,

Mike