• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
27 27

2,123 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2024 at 8:42 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

95z4a7.jpg

Too bad that seller’s not honest like you. @RockMyAmadeus just hooked me up with a beautiful Daredevil 158 signed by Frank Miller.  Book was perfectly flat, packaged incredibly well, and shipped really fast.  Guy’s a top seller for sure.  Need more like you online sir.  Thanks again!

Edited by DanJD

On 10/7/2024 at 7:09 PM, DanJD said:

Too bad that sellers not honest like you. @RockMyAmadeus just hooked me up with a beautiful Daredevil 158 signed by Frank Miller.  Book was perfectly flat, packaged incredibly well, and shipped really fast.  Guy’s a top seller for sure.  Need more like you online sir.  Thanks again!

:blush:

The more I've been inspecting my slabs the more I realize how much inconsistency there with respect to where exactly the inner well is supposed to lie relative to the slab posts. Pretty much each book of mine has the inner well seated in a completely different location relative to the slab corner posts. Here is a Silver Age book for example - no banana bend but the left and right sides are seated in wildly different positions. Might be hard to tell from the pic but if you zoom you can see the left side of the well is seated all the way at the top of the slab, while the right side is secured firmly underneath the corner post jutting out (with no room to go any higher). Tried to make an edit to show this clearer - the inner well is completely slanted even within the slab even though it is not curved. This is a Daredevil #3 with a serial starting in 41. Would love to get clarification from CGC on where exactly the inner well is supposed to sit relative to the slab and posts. Seems to be completely different when I look at each slab that I own. Maybe there is a level of tolerance but since I have banana books I'm starting to scrutinize everything. Feels like basically all my books have both sides of the inner well seated at completely different levels whether or not they are curved.

Yes I know this isn't the worst example, just wanted to show the inconsistency is present in Silver Age as well. The inner well is basically touching the top of the slab on the left side, and the bottom of the inner well is touching the bottom of the slab on the right side.

458589606_916181413709138_2999189279258043021_n.jpg

slab edit.png

Edited by RC64Buck_Comics

There's a set that I've been slowly building. The books aren't high demand books, so mostly I've been submitting them myself, but sometimes books pop up on eBay. Yesterday two of those books were listed on eBay. Only $10 starting bid, but the serial numbers are 44-. I asked about the wells and this is the seller's response:

image.png.4f5d5d697b7b14d6d362ee87434f28bf.png

So, low-demand books which I would have otherwise totally put in a decent bid for are going to lose out on at least one bidder due to the inner well situation.

So, low-demand books which I would have otherwise totally put in a decent bid for are going to lose out on at least one bidder due to the inner well situation.

I purchased 3 or 4 $100+ books recently before I knew to ask. They have slight bends. Light spine color so I can't see any damage yet.  I am not buying or submitting for a while. But I have 5 in the pipeline waiting.

On 10/9/2024 at 11:53 AM, MadGenius said:

What are people seeing with submissions they've gotten back recently? Still banana or no?

I just opened 4 boxes of Vintage Bulk that I subbed back in July. No bananas in close to 100 books. I only have 1 modern submission in which for some reason has been stuck there since July, before I decided to stop submitting. They keep telling me it's not lost so theoretically I will get it back eventually but it's still SFG with a submission date of 7/19 so we'll see. 

On 10/9/2024 at 2:53 PM, MadGenius said:

What are people seeing with submissions they've gotten back recently? Still banana or no?

On 10/6/2024 at 1:48 AM, Lightning55 said:

I just checked in a box of 25 slabs, a Modern submission. There were 7 from 2024, the other 17 were from '87 to '96. For grades, there were 17 9.8's, an 8.0 (expected), and a mix in the 9's.

I am sad to report that the banana effect is still there, but it has morphed a bit.

About half of the 25 had the curve, but on the page end side, not the spine. Since the pages and covers presumably follow the mild curve, there is probably no detrimental effect. I'll call these "hybrid bananas". 

One of the 9.8 2024 comics had the curve on both the left and right, so a bowl effect, all 4 corners elevated from the back of holder/frame. Like people have described in earlier posts.

Another had the curve on the spine side only. Neither of these 2 showed any resulting flaws (yet).

On top of the fact that these should all be dead flat, it now takes me twice as long to check in a box. I already have to check each slab for cracks, breaks, scrapes, smudges, scuffs, plastic particles in the case, correct label, etc. Now I'm checking all 4 edges for the orientation of the inner capsule, and for any resulting ill effects. Very time consuming. 

Maybe, right after sonic welding, the capsule could be constrained so it can't bend during the cooling process. Similar to pressing a comic, but just enough weight to prevent warping. And some test subjects could be observed to see if they bend over time. Just spitballing here. 

I hope CGC figures it out quickly. I have 6 more cases in the pipeline. 

I just had magazines all come back bent. Vintage and modern. The right sides took the brunt of the punishment. Did cause some warping of the paper on some of them.

I picked up books a little over 2 weeks ago and all 7 books were banana and a couple had spine ticks which didn't when I sent them in.

How all of these 7 books got a 9.8 with obvious dimple at the spine and spine tick (color breaking) on the cover is beyond me!?!

On 10/10/2024 at 2:03 PM, Rhett Christopher said:

I picked up books a little over 2 weeks ago and all 7 books were banana and a couple had spine ticks which didn't when I sent them in.

How all of these 7 books got a 9.8 with obvious dimple at the spine and spine tick (color breaking) on the cover is beyond me!?!

Probably because the damage happens after grading and during encapsulation.  You would think Quality Control would have caught it.