• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,773 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, JadeGiant said:

:jawdrop:^^ It's closer to say, can't get enough, gonna have to face it addicted to :x 

On 11/2/2022 at 3:14 PM, alxjhnsn said:

New Art Day - Faux Sugar and Spike 100 Cover by Walt Simonson

As many of you know, I'm a Sheldon Mayer fan. Sheldon was a long time editor and staffer at what is now DC and as such he selected Superman from the submittal pile for Action 1, helped create many of DC's GA characters (Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc.). Eventually, he decided he wanted to tell stories rather than teaching others how to tell stories. In this role, he created his most famous creations - Sugar Plumm and Spike Wilson.

That series reached issue 98 before eye trouble prevented him from working. A decade or two later, DC created a 99th issue using material he'd done for non-US publication after surgery corrected his eyesight. But the kids have never had a 100th issue. 

While I wait for that issue, I decided to create a number of variant (alternative) covers for it. 

The latest is from Walter Simonson! This is a huge deal for me since Walter doesn't do commissions with very limited exceptions. However, he does do free signed head sketches of significant detail for con goers.

But I never had one done since I haven't had an interesting idea despite the number of times that I've met him. This year, I did.

I thought that I could obey the rules and get a new S&S 100 faux cover by requesting Sugar and Spike sliding down his signature. I had three days available for the three items (Sugar, Spike, and signature as a slope/slide).

It took only two passes!

I present Sugar and Spike sliding down Mt. Simonson!

image.thumb.png.588fc362f3b48bace7e8c8fb4b5f7860.png

Love it! 9 times out of 10 I usually get something Scooby related but he is one of the few artist I felt odd about asking (especially since the line is reasonably long and I'd not want to be in line for a few hours to be told no.) I think that I'm going to try for Scooby the next time I see him. Here are a couple examples of past commissions.1328920864_8_16.19316.thumb.jpg.ba5f2a4d1429bf3f4d9ceb2ef79dc7d3.jpg286217083_scooby001.thumb.jpg.be80cdfa80fe5ccae6ccc1e8b4e7536a.jpgimage.png.ecbab50ef7f92ff9632f6e415503c4cf.png

On 11/2/2022 at 5:19 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

Love it! 9 times out of 10 I usually get something Scooby related but he is one of the few artist I felt odd about asking (especially since the line is reasonably long and I'd not want to be in line for a few hours to be told no.) I think that I'm going to try for Scooby the next time I see him. Here are a couple examples of past commissions.1328920864_8_16.19316.thumb.jpg.ba5f2a4d1429bf3f4d9ceb2ef79dc7d3.jpg286217083_scooby001.thumb.jpg.be80cdfa80fe5ccae6ccc1e8b4e7536a.jpgimage.png.ecbab50ef7f92ff9632f6e415503c4cf.png

Just remember to bring a variety of reference. 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:01 AM, MagnusX said:

New to the collection:
Moon Knight # 2 Cover 
By Steve McNiven

78eTE1cf_0211220837001gpadd.jpg

That's really awesome - I love all the splatter in there.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:14 PM, alxjhnsn said:

New Art Day - Faux Sugar and Spike 100 Cover by Walt Simonson

As many of you know, I'm a Sheldon Mayer fan. Sheldon was a long time editor and staffer at what is now DC and as such he selected Superman from the submittal pile for Action 1, helped create many of DC's GA characters (Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc.). Eventually, he decided he wanted to tell stories rather than teaching others how to tell stories. In this role, he created his most famous creations - Sugar Plumm and Spike Wilson.

That series reached issue 98 before eye trouble prevented him from working. A decade or two later, DC created a 99th issue using material he'd done for non-US publication after surgery corrected his eyesight. But the kids have never had a 100th issue. 

While I wait for that issue, I decided to create a number of variant (alternative) covers for it. 

The latest is from Walter Simonson! This is a huge deal for me since Walter doesn't do commissions with very limited exceptions. However, he does do free signed head sketches of significant detail for con goers.

But I never had one done since I haven't had an interesting idea despite the number of times that I've met him. This year, I did.

I thought that I could obey the rules and get a new S&S 100 faux cover by requesting Sugar and Spike sliding down his signature. I had three days available for the three items (Sugar, Spike, and signature as a slope/slide).

It took only two passes!

I present Sugar and Spike sliding down Mt. Simonson!

image.thumb.png.588fc362f3b48bace7e8c8fb4b5f7860.png

Too bad I didn't know you were in Baltimore since my buddy Alan spent six hours in the Simonson line on Saturday (and I checked in with him from time to time to see how things progressed). We must have been mere feet from each other without knowing it! Oh well, maybe some other time...B|

Finally  had the opportunity to pick up these four pages by Chynna Clugston-Flores that had been waiting for me ever since I had to cancel my trip to the U.S. this summer (due to the Scandinavian Airlines pilot strike):

Blue_Monday_AB_4_p10_thumb.jpg.8b59ace304ef65716274eb88e5c340e0.jpg

Blue Monday: Absolute Beginners #4 page 10.

Blue_Monday_AB_4_p11_thumb.jpg.f1b368b7e27479ad8f45e4cc27a0bd53.jpg

Blue Monday: Absolute Beginners #4 page 11.

Scooter_Girl_6_p5_thumb.jpg.cdc10027f59c590d11769633f6c87c48.jpg

Scooter Girl #6, page 5.

Scooter_Girl_6_p17_thumb.jpg.22dc0866df4de9c9754628c083176a80.jpg

Scooter Girl #6, page 17.

And a small bonus since we had discussed the difference between swedish and californian heatwaves:

Bleu_Finnegan_heatwave_thumb.jpg.115c624d229e2a831888cacfa5a263f5.jpg

A suffering Bleu Finnegan.

Click on the pictures to see larger scans in my CAF gallery.

On 11/6/2022 at 10:36 AM, Caltex98 said:

Too bad I didn't know you were in Baltimore since my buddy Alan spent six hours in the Simonson line on Saturday (and I checked in with him from time to time to see how things progressed). We must have been mere feet from each other without knowing it! Oh well, maybe some other time...B|

I skipped Walt's line on Saturday because I was 30th or later and vowed to do better on Sunday. I was 12th for a sketch after the guys at the front of the VIP line complained to the con management about exhibitors in front of us. Thanks James Pella! Once they were gone, I was close. :)

I think next time, I may wear a flag with my name on it because I miss people all the time that I've "met" on the boards.

New Art Day - Scribbly #13 Unused Cover and Recreation from the Harlan Ellison collection by <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Mayer">Sheldon Mayer</a>

Yep, it's daughter inheritance spending day!

Instead of my amazingly frequent commissions of variant covers for Sugar and Spike #100, I offer a real, Golden Age cover by Sheldon Mayer himself and a revisit of that cover as a commission for Harlan Ellison.

These two pieces hung in the section of the Ellison home/art museum known by many as the restroom. Yep, it had a place of great honor where virtually all guests would see it.

I've learned a bit about the piece from friends of Harlan and comic historians. For example, Bob Heer realized that the cover idea, though not the art, was used on <a href="https://www.comics.org/issue/71601/">Buzzy, America's Favorite Teen-Ager number 33</a>. You can see that cover and find a link to his blog about the cover in the Description for this piece so click the image below and read all about it.

For those that don't know, <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribbly_the_Boy_Cartoonist">Scribbly</a> was a boy cartoonist and an echo of Sheldon's real life story. It's my favorite work of his and I wish there was a collected edition. Sigh ...

The Scribbly strip started in Dell Comics and moved to DC later. While at DC, it introduced a number of interesting characters including the <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma_Hunkel">Golden Age Red Tomato, err, Red Tornado</a>, a initial member of the Justice Society of America. Anyway, Scribbly was a wonderful filler feature for years before gaining its own title in 1948.

This cover would have been done in 1949, but it was rejected. The recreation is funnier by far and truer to the character. Look closely and see why he got in trouble.:)

Click the image for more details.
https://cafans.b-cdn.net/images/Category_10225/subcat_34812/xlbgSjrf_2510221235161gpadd.jpg