• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,764 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2022 at 4:42 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I originally hadn't planned to post this recent acquisition, but after seeing the results of the recent Heritage Signature auction, and how little a buck brings, I changed my mind. What follows cost all of $1,500. This is the art for the upcoming (main) cover for DC's new Halloween Special by John McCrea. DC is also coming out with at least one variant cover, but a certain character wasn't included in it, so I didn't pursue. Anyway, the package consisted of an original pencil cover, an original inked cover (over his pencil scan), a preliminary (which I am leaving out, and is on the back of the pencil page), and what I think had the most dynamic layout: John's original proposal for a cover to DC that was rejected. See what youi think. I am sorely tempted to ask for a commission of the thing.

When looking at the pencil version, you may notice that the Phantom Stranger and Deadman are on opposite sides of the page. I asked him why he mirror-imaged it for the inked version, and he said that it allowed him to catch errors in his pencil work. I never heard that before, so I thought I would pass it on.

JMcCreaCoverPencils-HalloweenSpecial2022.thumb.jpg.c3183155b71eb919c9cbaf0b94a81385.jpgJohnMcCreaInksHalloweenSpecial.thumb.jpg.b334b8b8108d6832d607e205f1b0e02b.jpg

By the way, this is what the final, published art will look like:

TerrorsThroughTimeMcCrea.jpg.9ace23c04955d712faa14d50ef4bb7df.jpg

And the prelim, which is slightly cut off at the edges:

JMcCreaInitialProposalHalloweenSpecial.thumb.jpg.43cfe69fa6fe9f1f5b59371069509ed6.jpg

Now, that's $1,500 well spent, in my opinion.

TerrorsThroughTimeMcCreaAlt.jpg.75b5d9ddcf5a89192fafd72f1adf9930.jpg

TerrorsThroughTimeMcCrea.jpg

I think sometimes when you do your best to convince the mob that they don't have to spend 5 figures to get quality artwork, maybe you should include your proof like this beauty. Money well spent my friend.

Edited by grapeape

Picked up my first piece of OA from an estate sale: a Stan Lynde piece. I believe it’s a Rick O’Shay strip (it’s from 1976). I really liked the dialogue in it, and it features a judge coming down all fire-and-brimstone on a guy named Will Masters (I don’t know if he’s a villain in the strip or what). Not part of my focus, but too cool to pass up!

C09A7CA2-7A4A-430F-B451-6E6DBD9F28F7.thumb.jpeg.dec17a49b902da7f9e7a39ba4073567b.jpeg

On 9/25/2022 at 7:21 PM, alxjhnsn said:
My daughters' inheritance continues to be squandered. This weekend I met Matthew Klein (writer) and Morgan Been (artist, no FB page that I could find) of the new 5-issue mini-series Crashing at a signing at my LCS, Bedrock City Comic Co.

Crashing features a young doctor working at Mass General in Boston. A somewhat different Boston since it has native population of "powered" people who - as one might expect - need treatment. Rose is a dedicated physician who deeply believes that she's there to care for all patients. In the hospital, that can mean breaking rules, but that's not the only place she treats powered patients. Even the bad guys need help.

Rose has another problem - she's an addict, pills and alcohol. Her job doesn't do much to help with that to say the least.

Morgan brought pages from the book and I bought the first two - first appearances are big! Okay, not always, but I really liked her work on the book.

Check it out by clicking on the image and there's more info in the Description.

Beem, Morgan - Crashing 1 pg 1-2.jpg

Sounds like an interesting series and one I might check out. 

On 9/26/2022 at 6:44 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Invested. I like to use the term “invested”. lol

Too many commissions and minor pieces by unknown artists to claim investment. Sigh…

One day, my Plutona first drawing ever will be worth a fortune. Just waiting on the movie from the rights sale. Gonna happen any day now. I’m going to be rich! LOL!

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 9/26/2022 at 9:49 AM, alxjhnsn said:

Too many commissions and minor pieces by unknown artists to claim investment. Sigh…

One day, my Plutona first drawing ever will be worth a fortune. Just waiting on the movie from the rights sale. Gonna happen any day now. I’m going to be rich! LOL!

I’d never heard of that, but wow - what a cool story. It’s like Stand By Me for a newer generation. 

On 9/28/2022 at 11:01 AM, Timely said:

CAF Update: On CAF, I've posted 20 new artworks since my last post here.  Today I posted a classic Captain America cover that you're gonna wanna see!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1857028

:jawdrop:

On 9/28/2022 at 9:01 AM, Timely said:

CAF Update: On CAF, I've posted 20 new artworks since my last post here.  Today I posted a classic Captain America cover that you're gonna wanna see!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1857028

:golfclap:

Very nice!