• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,764 posts in this topic

I picked up a few pieces at Baytown, TX's Eastern Rim Funny Book and Vintage Con on Saturday, 27 Aug 2022. Here's the first one. The others will be posted as I get them in the CAF.

Thanks to my friend, Nick Pitarra, for allowing me to get a rejected panel from his new book on Zoop (Axe-Wielder Jon). As you can see, Jon is lovely. Buy the book. Give Jon a home! You know that you want it. Look at that face!

Order it here: https://zoop.gg/c/axwielderjon

There are some great add-ons, too.

Click on the image for a larger view and a description.

Pitarra, Nick - Axe-Wielder Jon.jpg

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 8/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, G.A.tor said:

First comic I got in 1972 was SS1. When hurricane destroyed us in 2018 and I had to sell my comic collection, I turned to art during covid and decided to focus on my first and favorite character. 

Yes, Rick, great move really. I did same during the last few years - sold off some books to acquire original art (thumbsu

On 8/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, G.A.tor said:

First comic I got in 1972 was SS1. When hurricane destroyed us in 2018 and I had to sell my comic collection, I turned to art during covid and decided to focus on my first and favorite character. 

SS is the coolest character :)

What hurricane got you? Irma took off our roof in 2017.

I know that the question that's been nagging you for the last several days is, "What else did Alex get at the The Eastern Rim Funny Book & Vintage Con?" Well, I wanted to spare you more sleepless nights, so here's the next piece.

I had Tone Rodriguez draw in my "Artist's Choice" sketchbook and he made a surprising to me choice. A rendering of Batman, The Dark Knight, from the book "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller.

If you aren't familiar with the DKR story, you might want to check it out - it's dark, but really well done and it had a huge impact (good and bad) on comics that still reverberates nearly 40 years later.

Check out the image and learn more here:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1850607

image.thumb.png.4835628ae8b395e8cf36070f81d17a5c.png

Howdy, 
here is a midweek update - clock is ticking. I am a bit in a Batman mood, inspired by this great exhibit that I saw in Germany and that exhibit only goes for the reminder of the week.  All the details are in my link.

Here is a great DK III Cover by Scott Williams. To me this is the perfect DK Cover image. Hope you like it as much as I do.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1851344

Dragon Con 2022 report, part one! Lots of great folks there. Frank Cho, JRJr, Starlin, David Mack, Bogdanove, Bendis, Bagley, and more. Then at a party, I got to see hundreds of Roy Krenkel sketches of jungle men and sabretooth tigers. Hundreds!

I thought I would never buy a monoprint, but it turns out if it's really cool, I will. Here's a huge party at the Hall of Justice with over three dozen heroes being serenaded by Superman. To sweeten the deal, artist Yanick Paquette rendered a large Wonder Woman remarque on the back side since she apparently wasn't invited to the party. She's resting her foot on the crimped seal.

image.thumb.jpeg.4a0b7fb08fe67e3e84d0ad5b31c11360.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f1c234f0e4f91bd2ab41fbdd9e6c65d2.jpeg

Found another little piece of the 90's: Luxura Leather Special #1 pinup art by Steve Scott and Eman Torre, page 5. Had to angle this one to avoid a light reflection. Love the detail and contrast balance in this piece.

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.dd1aba65c995ba6613181b91e418dad2.JPG

On 9/10/2022 at 12:57 PM, camd said:

Wolverine Bar Stories splash from the upcoming milestone Wolverine 25 issue by Juan Ferreya 

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1852268

Wolverine Issue 25 Bar Stories page 03 inks.jpg

Screenshot_20220909-155445_Instagram.jpg

:whee: