• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

I also collect memorabilia related to the original gothic band, Bauhaus. A personal favorite.

Saw 'em a few times, a long time ago during the post-punk era. They were good. Do you like the Sisters Of Mercy? For a while a collected their stuff.

LOVE the Sisters. Saw them tour with Public Enemy. Weird crowd. Gangsta Goth.

I also collect memorabilia related to the original gothic band, Bauhaus. A personal favorite.

Saw 'em a few times, a long time ago during the post-punk era. They were good. Do you like the Sisters Of Mercy? For a while a collected their stuff.

Yeah, I remember that odd coupling - back in '91, I think it was (I was travelling across the U.S. at the time). Never got to see any of those gigs - would've been a very interesting clash of subcultures.

The Sisters (especially the Eldritch/Hussey/Marx/Adams line-up) were my favorite band of that era. Their music still holds up very well while most of their contemporaries doesn't, particularly.

Tolkien related stuff, and Magic and various other Collectible Card Games (CCGs). I also have a nice collection of original CCG art, including one of myself for the 7th Sea CCG (prize for winning a major tournament). Might have to scan that one someday...

Hi,

I have some boxed Megos but man are they ever expensive. I started buying them at my local comic store way back in the mid eighties when they were priced at $10.00 cdn. each.

I have the figures but not the Green Arrow car, Batcycle or the Batcave playset.

John

I collect Transformers toys. Probably have the nicest collection in existence. I have always wanted to start collecting the Megos World's Greatest Super-Heroes line, anybody collect those?

How do you define nicest collection in existence?

Selling any extras?

Only one of his I ever read was Steppe, which I enjoyed enormously. What else would you recommend (bearing in mind that I hate fantasy) ?

As I mentioned in the original post, his Bio of a Space Tyrant series is some of his best, a five-part sci-fi series focused on a character named Hope Hubris, following his rise from migrant worker to President of Jupiter.

"You'll never look at a urinal the same way again... " thumbsup2.gif

I read Bio Long ago but I enjoyed The incarnation series more

Ummm , PSA or Beckett 10 1975 Topps baseball cards (just cuz i like the set and bb back then actually rocked). and 1986 fleer basketball (MJ rookie year)

AFA graded 90 or better GIJoe series 1 and series 2 action figures, trade paperbacks for reading, gave up atari 2600 mib cuz too much fluxuation in value, currently horading Nintendo power mags year 1-2, black spidey statues/busts/misc black spidey stuff (pre venom spidey), early drug prohibition propaganda, and an avid MAME emulator roms for my cpu/gaming computer (got over 600 games for that sucker), butterfly collar shirts (they are already back in style) sleeping.gifand all the downloaded music albums i can get my hands on for free smile.gif.

I collect Transformers toys. Probably have the nicest collection in existence. I have always wanted to start collecting the Megos World's Greatest Super-Heroes line, anybody collect those?

No, but I've wanted to for years. I had them all as a kid. Back in eBay's early days ('96 or '97), I bid $150 on a MOMC Batman, and was outbid by a sniper. That was before we mastered the art of sniping. Try finding a C10 for less than $300 now. I bought a Robin without a pic, and it was Canadian with French writing. The seller gave me a refund. That's the closest I've come to collecting them, but I have the Mego book, the Mego Museum saved to my favorites, and "Mego" saved as a favorite eBay search. I do love 'em! thumbsup2.gif

Megos and Super Powers figs rock. Certain Secret Wars figs are on fire right now like foreign releases: wolverine (black claws)Ice man, electro.Black hole figures like ol bob, sentry, are pretty scare. I used to collect original star wars figures. I remember pre-ebay having phone in auctions from cloud city collectibles (they got stuff you could only dream off if you like to collect prototype figueres and movie props from star wars to indiana jones). Think they are starting new site called collectgijoe.com but dont know if up yet. I think i paid $6k for a perfect ungraded vinyl caped jawa over the phone with those guys. Sold it some years ago but cant imagine what an afa graded 95 would go for now. If anyone has a black spidey secret wars c10 pm me, im on the hunt.

yep, i felt afa massacred my v1 snake eyes and cobra commander. I paid 250 each for them moc back in early 90's. guy thought i was crazy. each went for well over 1000 if i remember correctly at afa 85. I sometimes feel they grade harder than cgc on modern books. im still looking for both in 90-95 afa. Willing to trade big books for those babies. I do collect the palisides busts and statues. got one of the v1 bust cobra commander. Preordered the snake eyes v1 statue for march delivery. Contemplating getting the life size bust of v2 snake eyes. Just got GIjoe 31 in cgc 9.8w, last cover appearance of snake eyes in orginal costume (the way he was meant to be). GI Joe 43 is first unofficial appearance of 2nd costume but not noted on label nor does he actually appear in that issue for some reason. Man, what i wouldnt give for 21 in 9.8. I had to bust my left nut just to get issue 24 in 9.8. For some reason most of my issues of GIJoe are with ow/w pages. But back then i was reading those babies. Those books are great reads. Cant wait till GIJoe origin of cobra commander book comes out. Cant think of name of book right now its so late.

Yeah, I remember that odd coupling - back in '91, I think it was (I was travelling across the U.S. at the time). Never got to see any of those gigs - would've been a very interesting clash of subcultures.

The Sisters (especially the Eldritch/Hussey/Marx/Adams line-up) were my favorite band of that era. Their music still holds up very well while most of their contemporaries doesn't, particularly.

The first Sisters CD was really nice, but Floodland is the amazing one for me. I'm waiting for Andrew to get off his haunches and record his new material. Maybe he can't find musicians still willing to work with him.

Ever get into Siouxsie or Oingo Boingo or Love and Rockets?

Yes, Eldritch is lazy. There hasn't been a new album since 1990's Vision Thing - which is a shame as he was always a witty and intelligent bloke with a great sense of irony.

I thought Love and Rockets were okay (not as good as Bauhaus). Oingo Boingo doesn't ring any bells. Other Goth bands I remember having some decent songs would be The Birthday Party, Killing Joke (both not strictly speaking Goth), Fields Of The Nephilim, UK Decay and Southern Death Cult.

Other bands who had a great act but not much in the way of musicianly quality would be Danse Society, The Virgin Prunes, and several others who were all pretty generic but looked interesting. Alien Sex Fiend were tripe. There were also Sisters copyists (Rosetta Stone) who swiped everything from them except good tunes.

I liked Siouxsie at the time, along with the inevitable Bunnymen and Joy Division. Some of their music still plays well but I rarely listen to them these days. For some reason the Sisters' first two albums seem more timeless.

In between buying spurts for Underground Comix I need for my collection, I dabble in a bunch of other mainstream stuff, but its also pretty obscure, so I go months on end before I actually find anything -- sometimes years. So being that I'm Canadian, and huge fan of ice-hockey, I also find myself spending a little of my time completing hockey card sets which I started doing the day my brother cleaned-up at a game of "flipsees." This was a game played in grade-school playgrounds, between card collectors.

My focus is O-Pee-Chee hockey cards, dating back to a few singles from their first 1933 set. That is one set I'd like to complete in my lifetime, but its getting more and more expensive to get single cards for it, let alone big time players like Howie Morenz or Eddie Shore. Its also very difficult to find cards for this set in decent shape. The last time I looked, the complete set booked for around 15K, but I haven't seen many sales of the set, and I think the guide price may be a little on the lowball side.

I also used to collect a variety of other sportscards (mostly baseball) like Topps, Bowman, Fleer (MJ's rookie), but I had to stop because it was getting ridiculously expensive. From my hockey card collection, some of my favourites are Bobby Orr's RC, Gretzky's RC, Dryden's RC (grew up idolizing him, and one of the reason why I took up netminding in the first place), and some early Toronto Maple Leafs like Tim Horton and Johnny Bower.

Anyone else collect other stuff on top of their comic collecting?

Used to collect baseball cards but stopped in the late 90's, Collect Star Wars Stuff sometimes and Movies(DVD, Laserdisc, TV versions w/ alt scenes)

Edited by Rip