• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

The average person on the street has heard of what percentage of these characters?

4629692938_fe421c2817_o.jpg4629091981_0a050a016d_o.jpg

Probably Alice in Wonderland!!

Honky Cat, thanks for posting that great collection of Quality Comics. That is a collection you don't see often. I got turned on to some of their characters back when DC starting reprinting their stories in the back pages of the 100 page issues in the 70's. I really enjoyed Kid Eternity. If you recall DC even had the Justice League meet the Quality gang in one of the summer team ups back in the early 70's. Then Freedom Fighters came out which was the JLA of the Quality Gang. I was loving it! I even had a letter published in issue #4.

It is interesting in that Quality seemed to have had a line of books with a consistent look and feel; they must have been a good competitor to DC, Fawcett and Dell in the quality (groan) department. Production values seem high based on the two books I have; curious on your thoughts in regard to the line.

It makes me want to go back and read their history in the Steranko books; I recall there were some details in there.

Thanks for sharing again, made my morning.

Frank

The average person on the street has heard of what percentage of these characters?

Probably Alice in Wonderland!!

Honky Cat, thanks for posting that great collection of Quality Comics. That is a collection you don't see often. I got turned on to some of their characters back when DC starting reprinting their stories in the back pages of the 100 page issues in the 70's. I really enjoyed Kid Eternity. If you recall DC even had the Justice League meet the Quality gang in one of the summer team ups back in the early 70's. Then Freedom Fighters came out which was the JLA of the Quality Gang. I was loving it! I even had a letter published in issue #4.

It is interesting in that Quality seemed to have had a line of books with a consistent look and feel; they must have been a good competitor to DC, Fawcett and Dell in the quality (groan) department. Production values seem high based on the two books I have; curious on your thoughts in regard to the line.

It makes me want to go back and read their history in the Steranko books; I recall there were some details in there.

Thanks for sharing again, made my morning.

Frank

Frank-

Quality did live up to their name. The pre-war books are works of art.

They slipped a little bit after the war (like everyone else) as far as production quality.

You start seeing lots of off-center stapling, and it seems that the paper quality went

downhill in the 50s.

Steranko has some info, and several issues of Alter Ego have articles on the line or

individual characters/creators (I think #34 has an overview). I don't know of a good

online source of info, but http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/ has lots of issues scanned.

Great books you have posted here Honky Cat.. (worship)

All your runs are amazing...I love this run in particular because you just don't see these very often....

Anyway....thanks for posting..... (thumbs u

If you need a Single Series #20...contact Comics-n-ERB I think he has one for sale....

Edited by Blind Owl

Great books you have posted here Honky Cat.. (worship)

All your runs are amazing...I love this run in particular because you just don't see these very often....

Anyway....thanks for posting..... (thumbs u

If you need a Single Series #20...contact Comics-n-ERB I think he has one for sale....

+1 :thumbsup:

I really like that Alice in Wonderland.

This run took me a very long time to complete:

crime-reporter-group.jpg

Okay, maybe it didn't take that long, but it wasn't easy. #2 and #3 are Matt Baker covers, which is great, but I actually dig #1 the most -- for how odd it is. What's with that dress? It almost looks like the green section was added at the last minute. And her body position is contorted, with the leg tucked in like a chicken wing. Each comic is full of violence, drug use, and other fun stuff. It's kind of like Brenda Starr mixed with Crimes by Women.

crime-reporter-group.jpg

Okay, maybe it didn't take that long, but it wasn't easy. #2 and #3 are Matt Baker covers, which is great, but I actually dig #1 the most -- for how odd it is. What's with that dress? It almost looks like the green section was added at the last minute. And her body position is contorted, with the leg tucked in like a chicken wing. Each comic is full of violence, drug use, and other fun stuff. It's kind of like Brenda Starr mixed with Crimes by Women.

If you mean #1 is a bad drawing while #'s 2&3 are excellent drawings, I understand.

Which is why I only own #'s 2&3.

crime-reporter-group.jpg

Nice run you got there. Which one did you find the hardest? I personally like all three. (thumbs u

Edited by Twistty1

Nice run you got there. Which one did you find the hardest? I personally like all three. (thumbs u

Gracias. It's difficult to say which one was hardest to get, because all three don't show up often. But let me tell you, I learned a lot from buying these. Such as:

-- #1: If something is listed as "Buy-It-Now or Best Offer," and you really, really want it, don't mess around with a Best Offer that's only 10% less than the BIN price. Just buy the dang thing, before some other guy comes along and wins it with Best Offer of 5% under BIN.

-- #2: If you're searching for a comic for a whole year, and it finally turns up, that's great, you should buy it. But don't be surprised if a week later, another copy turns up -- a better copy that you feel the need to buy, just out of spite at the situation.

-- #3: Inexplicably, sometimes you will end up paying more for a lower-grade copy with chips off the corners than somebody else pays, the following week, for a mid-grade copy that looks fantastic. #*%^)#^()

-- #4: In your haste to go after a comic that you really want, and that you need to fill out a run, sometimes you will miss something really obvious -- like a freakin' torn spot in the middle of the cover. Then when you go back to look at the listing, you'll realize it was clear as day in the photo, even though you don't remember seeing it at all.

Gracias. It's difficult to say which one was hardest to get, because all three don't show up often. But let me tell you, I learned a lot from buying these. Such as:

-- #1: If something is listed as "Buy-It-Now or Best Offer," and you really, really want it, don't mess around with a Best Offer that's only 10% less than the BIN price. Just buy the dang thing, before some other guy comes along and wins it with Best Offer of 5% under BIN.

-- #2: If you're searching for a comic for a whole year, and it finally turns up, that's great, you should buy it. But don't be surprised if a week later, another copy turns up -- a better copy that you feel the need to buy, just out of spite at the situation.

-- #3: Inexplicably, sometimes you will end up paying more for a lower-grade copy with chips off the corners than somebody else pays, the following week, for a mid-grade copy that looks fantastic. #*%^)#^()

-- #4: In your haste to go after a comic that you really want, and that you need to fill out a run, sometimes you will miss something really obvious -- like a freakin' torn spot in the middle of the cover. Then when you go back to look at the listing, you'll realize it was clear as day in the photo, even though you don't remember seeing it at all.

:roflmao: Ahh, the realities of comic collecting. I've had all of the above. But, if it is something that I really want I do just hit the BIN. Nice group shot. I'd also have to agree that you don't see these pop up too often.

No collection is complete without Gumps:

4629090975_5a098f33e0_o.jpg

I think the Gumps are an unappreciated family. It is more of an adventure strip like Terry or Capt. Easy. I like the Gumps: Ma, Dad, Chester and Shrimp. (thumbs u

]

3408876249_d7e2657853_b.jpg

In another thread, I showed some horse-books so I figured I'd pull out some of my dog-books for this shot -

Nice Lassie's, these books go for really good prices and are good for kids...plus a few issues have Baker art :)

here's some first time group shots of a few kids of mine...

ALL.jpg

ALL2crop.jpg

Awesome group of books Ben! I sure wish the pix were larger :baiting:

best I can do. Due to the cost of the books in the pic, I can't afford a digital camera. :baiting: