• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

A while back in this thread I was reading early posts and someone showed the Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #3 as being a greytone cover. What about #'s 1,2 & 4....would they not be considered as well? (shrug)

We gotta get back to where this thread was a few months back when I wasn't involved. Let's define what makes a book a genuine greytone...or washtone.

Some of you were compiling a listing of books. Any updates on that?

Hey Keith, glad you found this thread. Maybe you can fill in some of the more obscure issues.

I've been keeping up with our list. Here's what I have to date. Note that I don't havet the Peter Panda numbers, and I haven't spelled out the Seadevils issues (they're not all greytones, although most are):

Adventures of Rex the Wonderdog 31, 38, 39, 42

All American Men of War 35, 81, 100, 110, 111

All Star Western 96, 102, 103, 109

Big Town 46

Brave and the Bold 18, 21, 22, 23, 44

Challengers of the Unknown 11

Detective 239

GI Combat 44, 51, 69, 75-104, (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 109, 113, 119

Green Lantern 8

Hopalong Cassidy 124

House of Mystery 92, 93

My Greatest Adventure 17

Mystery in Space 36, 40, 45, 46, 55

Our Army at War 45, 49, 57, 60, 124, 126

Our Fighting Forces 20, 71

Peter Panda ?

Sea Devils 1-???

Secret Hearts 59

Showcase 3, 25, 27, 28, 29

Star Spangled War Stories 45, 122,130

Strange Adventures 80, 110, 143, 151

Tales of the Unexpected 15, 17, 43

Three Mouseketeers 6

Tomahawk 65

Western Comics 64, 69, 71, 81, 82

Let's define what makes a book a genuine greytone...or washtone.

This is a tough question. We talked about how many DC's used a watercolor effect that wasn't what we think of when we talk about washtones/greytones. To me, the difference can be seen in the lines of the drawing. Lines on a washtone are not the typical thin, inked in lines of a regular cover. Rather, they look like they were brushed in, or drawn in with chalk.

For example, look at the axe blade that the giant is holding, or the giant's hand.

HOM92.jpg

A while back in this thread I was reading early posts and someone showed the Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #3 as being a greytone cover. What about #'s 1,2 & 4....would they not be considered as well? (shrug)

We gotta get back to where this thread was a few months back when I wasn't involved. Let's define what makes a book a genuine greytone...or washtone.

Some of you were compiling a listing of books. Any updates on that?

Hey Keith, glad you found this thread. Maybe you can fill in some of the more obscure issues.

I've been keeping up with our list. Here's what I have to date. Note that I don't havet the Peter Panda numbers, and I haven't spelled out the Seadevils issues (they're not all greytones, although most are):

Adventures of Rex the Wonderdog 31, 38, 39, 42

All American Men of War 35, 81, 100, 110, 111

All Star Western 96, 102, 103, 109

Big Town 46

Brave and the Bold 18, 21, 22, 23, 44

Challengers of the Unknown 11

Detective 239

GI Combat 44, 51, 69, 75-104, (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 109, 113, 119

Green Lantern 8

Hopalong Cassidy 124

House of Mystery 92, 93

My Greatest Adventure 17

Mystery in Space 36, 40, 45, 46, 55

Our Army at War 45, 49, 57, 60, 124, 126

Our Fighting Forces 20, 71

Peter Panda ?

Sea Devils 1-???

Secret Hearts 59

Showcase 3, 25, 27, 28, 29

Star Spangled War Stories 45, 122,130

Strange Adventures 80, 110, 143, 151

Tales of the Unexpected 15, 17, 43

Three Mouseketeers 6

Tomahawk 65

Western Comics 64, 69, 71, 81, 82

Lets not forget these contenders:

HOM_70.jpg

hos_06.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan

And this partial Greytone...

WorldsFinest93.jpg

I wonder why they went with the greytone just at the top of the book. Maybe they were going for an effect to create distance? I don't think it was particularly successful.

Here's the only Detective or Batman Grey-tone cover that I know of. Most Grey-tone afficionado's don't think the process was suitable for the character, but I always thought this cover was pretty cool. Purchased from Richard Evans of Bedrock back in the mid-nineties at a SDCC.

77419.jpg.63b4ede1e6a7cc5d21da38379b67a912.jpg

Here's the only Detective or Batman Grey-tone cover that I know of. Most Grey-tone afficionado's don't think the process was suitable for the character, but I always thought this cover was pretty cool. Purchased from Richard Evans of Bedrock back in the mid-nineties at a SDCC.

Greytones work great for superheroes, just look at Green Lantern 8 as an example. This is a cool cover but I don't think the Moldoff (looks like his work) made the most of the process and perhaps that's why they didn't continue. I would love to have seen what Gil Kane would have done.

Greytones work great for superheroes, just look at Green Lantern 8 as an example. This is a cool cover but I don't think the Moldoff (looks like his work) made the most of the process and perhaps that's why they didn't continue. I would love to have seen what Gil Kane would have done.

I agree this is a very cool cover, but could have been better. Someone could have done a more moody cave scene, imo.

I agree this is a very cool cover, but could have been better. Someone could have done a more moody cave scene, imo.

Those greytone freaks are nuts..the Bats would have made awesome Washtone images. Recall the cool Batman Gumcard sets from the 60's that were all paintings......

Pokerkid let me purchase his undercopy of this classic greytone.

The more I look at it the more I love it. The green and yellows really pop on this copy. And I love the stylized images on the planets on the playing cards, as well as the cool machinery in the background.

SA80.jpg