• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

Check out #9....Note the yellow to white lighting affect..the shadows and the sunburn affect on our Mouseketeers...and the outline on the "The Three Mouseketeers" logo itself.

This is done using partial washtone process...

ThreeMouseketeers9.jpg

And this is actually my favorite...# 13...Another partial process cover with yellow to white fade in the title logo again...The shadows...the light from the cigar embers reflected onto the chubby mouse...and the snowflakes themselves have no hard lines....Even the cigar band.....

ThreeMouseketeers13.jpg

One more...and these are really uncommon...

The 10 issue run of TV Screen Comics took over numbering from Real Screen Comics 128...

The first 3 issues of this series used a very limited amount of the process...

I did not bother with the 130 & 131 as they are extremely limited. This is hte best example..as I guess because it is the first issue..

TV Screen Comics #129

Note the TV tube or screen effect and the purple shadow below our buddies Fox & Crow....I really love this set of books..I only need the final issue to complete my set.

TvScreenCartoons129.jpg

You could go back to many 50's and 60's DC's and find this limited use of the greytone process..I have some others I can post tomorrow...But nothing compares to the full blown stunners like some of the War comics...Westerns... Mystery In Space, etc....

And this is actually my favorite...# 13...Another partial process cover with yellow to white fade in the title logo again...The shadows...the light from the cigar embers reflected onto the chubby mouse...and the snowflakes themselves have no hard lines....Even the cigar band.....

ThreeMouseketeers13.jpg

Beautiful colors! Love these 50s DC Funny animals!

Thanks for sharing those, Seadevils. I've been looking for a few of those for some years with nothing more than a VG available. I suppose that's not surprising.

As you know....50's DC Funny Animals...heck...50's FA's period...are just almost unheard of in anything above VG or VG+. I need only 3 of the 26 issue run of Three Mouseketeers and my best copies are not much better than the few I just posted here the other day. Many much lesser condition. Occasionally I luck upon a F or even F/VF. I have maybe two Fox and Crows in the VF+ range......

But to be honest...I'm perfectly happy and content with a nice vg of most of these type books. I enjoy lying in bed at night and reading an issue or two for some laughs. Don't have to worry about knocking the grade down a point or two from handeling them... lol

Y'know, I dont think we have really displayed the greatest graytones of all - THE SEADEVILS

SD_01.jpg

Beautiful copy AtlasFan...mine is only about F or F+. I've had it since about 1980 and just never got around to getting a HG copy. I have all 35 Seadevils...natch.. lol I should post some of those covers. I recall putting my run together back in the early 80's. Paid like $2 per issue..some as low as $1....and a whopping $10 smackers for #1. Most were ordered out of the CBG from individual advertisers. Put my Rip Hunter collection together the same way at about the same time. Those were two titles I was bent on getting completed early on. The Rip Hunter #1 I paid $21 nm guide back then...when I had it slabbed in 1999 it came back a F- .

(shrug)

A while back in this thread I was reading early posts and someone showed the Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #3 as being a greytone cover. What about #'s 1,2 & 4....would they not be considered as well? (shrug)

We gotta get back to where this thread was a few months back when I wasn't involved. Let's define what makes a book a genuine greytone...or washtone.

Some of you were compiling a listing of books. Any updates on that?

I just got this one for my Green Lantern 1 - 89 run

GL8.jpg

Beautiful copy! I don't know, if I was pressed for a favorite greytone, I'd probably say GL 8. The gila monster guy is just amazing, not to mention the orange and green colors. I paid $20 for my copy back in the early 90's, and it was a lot of money at the time. Just had to have it.