• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Nice eBay transaction with garagesalesabbatical ...... all books are nicer than his grade. He's still got a few left. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just checked them out and grabbed a few issues. Loved the ones you got! Nice haul! :headbang:

The David Cassidy books? :cloud9:

lol I saw those. I did not stoop that low. But I did buy the two Atlas Girls comics issues. :sick::cloud9:

Excellent pick up, I was tempted even though not on my want list, as I doubt they'll show up that cheap in that condition again. Glad you got them as I'm anticipating your completion of 30 years of Atlas/Marvel post in the next few years ;)

I am shocked at how many people were looking at the Girl Comics. I had never seen either of those covers before. And both looked in nice shape for comics from the 50s that the price did seem cheap. The 30 year thread will never happen bro. Way too much stuff from the 50s. Maybe I will start buying the last of the Drek I need to have up until 3/1985 complete. So the 25 years of Marvel thread may be close. lol

Nice eBay transaction with garagesalesabbatical ...... all books are nicer than his grade. He's still got a few left. GOD BLESS...

MIA12.jpg

This cover rocks for an Atlas war code era book. I see Atlas Tales credits Burgos, and I can see it, but it also looks like Maneely may have been involved. (shrug) And you're not kidding about the grading, I see it was listed as a 6.0. Looks more like a 9.0 to me. (thumbs u

....it had several page corners folded over which I unfolded and a light crease at top right that you can barely see in the scan.... he was hard on the the defects, but it's an easy 7.5/ 8.0. I've always loved this cover and agree that it's more than just Burgos..... although Burgos did some of my all time favorites.... like Battle 45. The inking in the foreground seems a lot like Severin's style..... then again, Burgos may have just spent a little more time on it. He was calling all of these 6.0 to 6.5 and I think most would get 7.0's from CGC from my experience. He's probably someone who doesn't want returns.... I was real happy. I gave him the referral here because he donates 10% of each sale to his Church and didn't think it would be cool to hog him to myself.... though I WAS tempted. GOD BLESS....

I see what you mean about Severin, especially in the uniform. I guess it's the stippling and shadows on the face that bring Burgos to mind. It's the background that made me think of Maneely. As Maneely and Severin usually signed their work and Burgos didn't, I figure he probably finished up at the least. Whoever thought to put the helmet strap in front of the logo, it was an inspired design choice.

I'd like some insight on the following from the war collectors

Bought a book (non war) a couple weeks ago and asked the seller if he had any high grade OAAW and GIC. He said he "pretty much stopped buying those for resale when the bottom fell out of the market a few years ago"

Has the bottom fallen out of the HG war market?

Bought a book (non war) a couple weeks ago and asked the seller if he had any high grade OAAW and GIC. He said he "pretty much stopped buying those for resale when the bottom fell out of the market a few years ago"

Fallen out is a relative term, but at least two of the big buyers for HG DC war are no longer active. The keys still go very strong. But the random run issues of the ten centers can now be had for much closer to guide than the multiples they were bringing in 2008 - 2011. They still sell well, just not crazy like they were for a while.

It isn't anywhere near what it was 2-3 years ago, but I wouldn't say the bottom has fallen out.

It isn't anywhere near what it was 2-3 years ago, but I wouldn't say the bottom has fallen out.

If the bottom falling out prompts anybody to cut and run, I'll be happy to jog along steadily to scoop up any of the left-overs.

If the bottom falling out prompts anybody to cut and run, I'll be happy to jog along steadily to scoop up any of the left-overs.

:gossip: I'm right behind ya......

Fallen out is a relative term, but at least two of the big buyers for HG DC war are no longer active. The keys still go very strong. But the random run issues of the ten centers can now be had for much closer to guide than the multiples they were bringing in 2008 - 2011. They still sell well, just not crazy like they were for a while.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well.

I haven't been actively buying war books for the last couple of years, but I can see that the good stuff is still good. By that I mean, keys, classic covers, and highest graded copies. To echo, Richard, finding nice shape (7.0 and up) 10 centers is still a challenge, but they've likely come down a tad in the price dept., or they will sit for a while.

To be honest, I'm now just starting to keep a close eye for these books again. If the price is right, I'll likely acquire a few more. :whee:

:gossip: I'm right behind ya......

I'll be a step ahead.... :cool:

[RL]

Just got some comics from them James. They do seem very ON with the grading! Thanks for the info!

cc750d550fd5f85159355b277f037498_zps18b56cc7.jpg[/img]

72ee85f26c99ac2257a1f83efdc12731_zpsfa3b1c60.jpg[/img]

da7fa1f136c399d0de37744f18b4991a_zps7d7b7e58.jpg[/img]

Not war, but people seemed interested in them when I mentioned I bought them.

ec9942ec481c2c5e041c71bcd0104d4d_zps89dfec6a.jpg[/img]

94dfdc3acbfbc38f73d17a4540d0c8d5_zps9a9c3648.jpg[/img]

The stack I got from them was nice..... I just wish they had hundreds more. Here's a new one..... almost SA ......unfortunately no Colan in this one.... GOD BLESS....

BATTLEFRONT19.jpg