• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

The time has come to display in one place my collection of silver age Fantastic Four comics from pedigree collections. There are 30 in all, amassed over a 20 year period. It's been a blast.

For many Marvel fans, the silver age ended when King Kirby left for DC. FF #102 was the final issue of an uninterrupted 9 year run of extraordinary creativity. Even though a few have 15 cent price tags, for this reason I still think of them as part of the silver age.

Fantastic Four #101

Twin Cities pedigree

It's bedlam in the Baxter Building.

FF101ped.jpg

Fantastic Four #79

Curator pedigree

Hands down, the Curator collection has the best preserved paper I've seen for any silver age collection.

This cover uses an unusual color scheme for Marvel, plus a Ben Grimm cover appearance.

FF79ped.jpg

Fantastic Four #58

Massachusetts pedigree

From a superior, underappreciated collection with remarkable preservation of paper and cover inks. This ish is part of a titanic story arc with Doom, the Surfer, and some of the Inhumans all involved. Chrisco's favorite. ;)

FF58ped.jpg

Fantastic Four #57

Slobodian pedigree

Unrecognized by CGC, but sought after by pedigree collectors, the Calvin Slobodian collection was gorgeous. Another awesome Kirby cover, and the start of a memorable 4 issue story arc.

FF57ped.jpg

Fantastic Four #56

Pacific Coast pedigree

The greatest of all silver age collections for its remarkable structural preservation, breadth, and preponderance of examples with high quality of production.

FF56ped.jpg

Fantastic Four #55

Pacific Coast pedigree

Just a simple but classic Kirby cover. Comic acquired in the days before CGC from Robert Roter, who purchased it directly from the original owner. It's getting harder and harder to find high grade silver age comics that haven't been manipulated by pressing.

FF55ped-1.jpg

Fantastic Four #51

Pacific Coast pedigree

Last one for today, and one of Marvel's very best single issue stories. First Negative Zone. Poignant cover unmarred by word balloons.

FF51.jpg

FF 75 in 9.8 http://ebay.to/1xgzjV4

I remember when I bought my copy of this. I was a new collector. The copy was pretty crisp and in really nice shape, or so I thought. I found out later that the lower staple was detached. This was about 25 years ago...lesson learned...always pull the book out of the bag!

This copy is amazing...a survivor in this grade.

FF 75 in 9.8 http://ebay.to/1xgzjV4

I remember when I bought my copy of this. I was a new collector. The copy was pretty crisp and in really nice shape, or so I thought. I found out later that the lower staple was detached. This was about 25 years ago...lesson learned...always pull the book out of the bag!

This copy is amazing...a survivor in this grade.

FF#75 is another personal favorite. Love that book. I bought a nice raw one a year or so ago from a boardie. I really need to get a graded copy to pair with the rest of the awesome storyline.