• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,709 posts in this topic

Fantastic Four #51

Pacific Coast pedigree

Last one for today, and one of Marvel's very best single issue stories. First Negative Zone. Poignant cover unmarred by word balloons.

FF51.jpg

I have the TWIN CITIES 51 in 9.2 that I acquired from jimjum so I have something in common with Bob and his collection!! :whee:

To Billy‘s credit I must say his copy, albeit a bit less in grade, has both White pages and the most perfect centering.

And as you gentlemen are showing your awesome copies, here’s my "rag", perfectly fine at the present moment, as PQ is nice… lol

RFX6vXSh.jpg

There can be a very fine line between W and OWW pages...often in the eyes of the beholder...and depending if it's a Monday or Friday...etc... :insane:

There can be a very fine line between W and OWW pages...often in the eyes of the beholder...and depending if it's a Monday or Friday...etc... :insane:

I know what you mean but it’s not a CGC fault. Actually it‘s my firm convinction that the designation has too little grades: there should be a "midway" between a few degrees of White… especially with Bronze books. I have a few Bronze books which are of an unbelievable White, while OW/W can mean very different things, from the borders getting OW while pages are W, to a midway uniform color… not easy to grade PQ because you can’t go in detail with the few designations like you do for technical grades of the book, IMO. :)

I know what you mean but it’s not a CGC fault. Actually it‘s my firm convinction that the designation has too little grades: there should be a "midway" between a few degrees of White… especially with Bronze books. I have a few Bronze books which are of an unbelievable White, while OW/W can mean very different things, from the borders getting OW while pages are W, to a midway uniform color… not easy to grade PQ because you can’t go in detail with the few designations like you do for technical grades of the book, IMO. :)

.... no offense to CGC, but PQ differentiation is probably their weakest aspect. Adding more levels will just lead to even more inaccuracies. One of the biggest disappointments I've had as a serial slab-popper is that of finding tanned edges to inner covers in books with "White" PQ. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

.....if they can't get it in the ballpark with only a few choices (shrug) ..... the main problem is that too many get "White" that are undeserving....and not just by my reasoning..... if they can't nail it down... then we just end up with more degrees or levels of inaccuracy. 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u