• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,791 posts in this topic

Jimbo, between you (Pacific Coast) and me (Don/Maggie, Northland), we've owned a good portion of the pedigree copies of this cool ish.

..... someone may have to get very serious to outbid me on this one :sumo: ..... and out of the slab it will come. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's not going to be up for auction. :gossip:

"MAD SCIENTIST" Collection books available here... :o

MAD SCIENTIST COLLECTION AVAILABLE AT HIGHGRADECOMICS.COM !!

Hey thanks for the compliments on my scanning.

Appreciate it.

Have a great day

Don’t be so sensitive, I was joking! :D

(but aside from that I really think it would benefit a lot to have scans representing the books in the best possible light: also, they’d be a plus for those who do not know your professionality and reliability as a seller – I know I rely a lot on scans).

The scans are pretty close to what the books look like.

While Bob was nice enough to scan some of the books for the thread I'm not sure it is a good idea to put up books with part of the label missing. In addition there are front/back scans are all of the books.

I spent most of yesterday scanning these up, not really looking to go back and forth tweaking scans to amp the book up.

Don’t get me wrong: I know the colors et al are faithful.

I am a graphic designer, working in the field for about 25 years and studied the nature of bitmap images: for some reason your scanner settings empathize the dots of the printing plates (I don’t recall if this goes for raw books as well, but I recall visiting your site years ago and was a bit put off by the scans).

Even if I was joking I said this for your advantage: I know it’s a pain in the *** to scan slabs, and the few times I did, I scanned them in two parts and color corrected to get close as possible to the actual color – but I understand it would be a nightmare with your inventory… just get rid of that moiree-like artifact if possible and I think they’d be very good (it might just be that you have a "sharpening" option in the scanner presets turned on). :)

While I have an IT background I am not a graphic designer.

I have a Scanjet X12USL.

I have no idea what a moiree artifact is.

The Sharp setting on the scanner is set to 0, I do not enhance sharpness, if I decrease it it blurs the scan, if I increase it they amp the scan up.

Bob --

I'm glad Bob gave you these books to sell...you are the perfect SA FF rep! Looking at them all right now to see if there's anything that speaks to me...

Best -- hope you are feeling all right!

Dan

While I have an IT background I am not a graphic designer.

I have a Scanjet X12USL.

I have no idea what a moiree artifact is.

The Sharp setting on the scanner is set to 0, I do not enhance sharpness, if I decrease it it blurs the scan, if I increase it they amp the scan up.

Moiree is the checkerboard type effect.... and I too, know little about eliminating it. With mine it seems to occur more with certain "colors" like gray and brown. I for one, would love to figure out how to refine my scanner's default settings. That's a nice FF run.... I see some have been clipped off already. With that first 12 or 13 especially, there's just not enough to go around. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've been pretty steady for the last few months.

No longer taking prednisone which is a good thing.

Still getting treatments every 3-4 weeks.

Been doing shows, have been flying and driving all over the place so everything has been good so far.

Thank you sir.

Checkboard DC's are very collectible from what I hear lol

bob

Moirée is generally speaking a "duplicate pattern" which happens when you re-scan something that have been already printed in halftones.

It was a worse problem in pre-digital days, as it happened between two dot screens in analog, and often you did not know how to remove it properly. Of course brown and purple, being among the most composed colors (from all the four ink plates), are the more problematic.

With digital imaging it happens between the original halftone printing dots and the pixels of the resolution you used to scan.

Since you said you are leaving the settings unaltered (and no sharpening) I think your issue is related to the chosen resolution: I understand it’s time consuming, but you should resolve the problem by just increasing it and then decreasing it before saving the JPG/PNG for internet posting.

An ideal setting would be a submultiple of the hardware resolution of your scanner (i.e. if the scanner has a 1600ppi max resolution, you should scan at 800, 400 etc. and then you can downsize it to 300ppi or whatever you prefer).

The collection is just… :cloud9:

Please don't take this the wrong way but I used to say this to my programmers when I managed them.

Speak english.

Ok, scan at 400 and downsize to 300.

How exactly am I doing this? Using what?

Are you assuming I'm using photoshop? BTW which I'm not.

Are you assuming I'm loving spending 10 mins on each scan?

Great books. Just bought one of namisgr's books for myself...never owned the #49 before and I love this cover:

FF49_zpse9ced463.jpg

Don't have too many FF's left since my AF 15 purchase, but enough to make me proud!

Dan