• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

Thank you – Actually I don’t like at all how they recolored the covers of the italian #15 and #18. #15 is still yellow, but the other colors are not chosen with care to detail. I love the originals of these, as I am also not attached to the italians because I have read them in reprints and did not see the covers until I was grown up. :)

Here’s some more: Rama-Tut (with a Blue box!). :)

ECvXlUih.jpg

so much fun checking those out. thanks, sir.

Thanks! Very glad you’re enjoying them… :)

Awesome Valiant!

Thanks… a bit sad to let these go, but it doesn’t make miuch sense to have the same stories in a million different formats, and I decided to go for the italian reprints because these were the ones I mostly read as a kid… so they’re also "nostalgic" in a good way.

Those are sweet Italian editions, Claudio. They must have had relatively small print runs, making them very tough to find in such nice shape. When were they published?

Actually the print run was pretty huge (until the last years), as they started publishing them quite late, when Marvel's success was very consolidated, and I guess they bet on that. Spider-man and Daredevil (the first two titles) started in 1970, the Fantastic Four and Thor in 1971, the others slightly after (Avengers was featured as a backup in the Thor title).

Finding them in high grade is difficult now, but up to the 1980s there were a lot of high grade copies around… I bought these from a friend of mine and they were his "leftovers" (I believe he still has three complete runs in Near Mint/Mint condition). :D

This is the very first italian edition of Fantastic Four #1: a supplement from publisher Rizzoli which featured a selection of the best international comics (in black and white). It’s magazine sized and I just love this edition because, aside from the excellent translation it has a nearly perfect graphic adaptation and the priting quality is superb (the Essentials does not have a fraction of the quality of the line art in FF#1, see the small example below). :cloud9:

Published in June 1966.

bQaufFgh.jpg

z3fwluGh.jpg

09vMyIMh.jpg

7UBmlo1l.jpg

The first edition in comic book format, and from the publisher which would have presented all the Marvel material from 1970 to 1984 (Editoriale Corno) was in the italian edition of Daredevil #4, which I am keeping as well.

Devil #4 also features (in part) Silver Surfer #3. Books were 48 pages each.

6o3cGKMh.jpg

The graphic adaptation and the early translations aren’t excessively good: the italian is fluent but they show they are somewhat "rushed up". The references to the Cold War and the space race, however, are mantained, unlike in the previous Rizzoli edition where they were omitted (presumably because the publisher was culturally left-wing). Here’s the splash page (Corno books alternated b/w to color in the early issues, then became full color later on):

tzvL3jUh.jpg