• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

They've been consigned. An announcement with be forthcoming soon.

As you know, Bob, I share your feeling about how pressing comics squeezes some of the magic out of their miraculous preservation. Nothing I can do once they're out of my hands, unfortunately, except remind fellow collectors of the specialness of a fresh comic in the same gorgeous condition that its original owner painstakingly kept it in.

Fantastic Four #17

Don and Maggie Thompson pedigree

Gorgeous example, as Drummy well knows. The early clashes with Doom are terrific stories, with Stan and Jack just beginning to explore the character.

FF17ped.jpg

Fantastic Four #12

Pacific Coast pedigree

What a great buy this was back in '99. Never pressed, and hopefully never will be owing to the bit of chipping on the right edge probably making the grade unimprovable.

FF12ped.jpg

Jimbo, between you (Pacific Coast) and me (Don/Maggie, Northland), we've owned a good portion of the pedigree copies of this cool ish.

..... someone may have to get very serious to outbid me on this one :sumo: ..... and out of the slab it will come. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Jimbo, between you (Pacific Coast) and me (Don/Maggie, Northland), we've owned a good portion of the pedigree copies of this cool ish.

..... someone may have to get very serious to outbid me on this one :sumo: ..... and out of the slab it will come. GOD BLESS....

It's not going to be up for auction. :gossip:

I would've bid hard...... but I'm glad to hear that. Sometimes it's easier to think they're just comics..... but some of them really are more than that. This is one of those...... what a Don and Maggie to have. Which others are staying where they belong ? GOD BLESS...

Fantastic Four #57

Slobodian pedigree

Unrecognized by CGC, but sought after by pedigree collectors, the Calvin Slobodian collection was gorgeous. Another awesome Kirby cover, and the start of a memorable 4 issue story arc.

FF57ped.jpg

(worship) (thumbs u :applause:

They've been consigned. An announcement with be forthcoming soon.

As you know, Bob, I share your feeling about how pressing comics squeezes some of the magic out of their miraculous preservation. Nothing I can do once they're out of my hands, unfortunately, except remind fellow collectors of the specialness of a fresh comic in the same gorgeous condition that its original owner painstakingly kept it in.

It is sad to think that incredible pedigree collections like this may not have the same stewardship embodied here going into the future.

Fantastic Four #55

Pacific Coast pedigree

Just a simple but classic Kirby cover. Comic acquired in the days before CGC from Robert Roter, who purchased it directly from the original owner. It's getting harder and harder to find high grade silver age comics that haven't been manipulated by pressing.

FF55ped-1.jpg

:cloud9::applause: Something about FFs and purple covers this one just pops the inks are unreal

Agreed

This one really is stunning!

I love how there is no page poke out at all on it.

It is sad to think that incredible pedigree collections like this may not have the same stewardship embodied here going into the future.

What do you mean with "stewardship"? hm

" the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one's care" hm

What do you mean with "stewardship"? hm

" the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one's care" hm

Thanks, I was at work and did not check in a dictionary. :D

Surely would be better for these to pass hand to hand to people who care about the books… :cloud9: