• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,720 posts in this topic

Great books. Just bought one of namisgr's books for myself...never owned the #49 before and I love this cover:

FF49_zpse9ced463.jpg

Congratulations on an awesome pickup! :applause:

Such an iconic cover. "If This Be Doomsday!"

And what a splash that book has. Kirby's pencils are simply amazing.

Just incredible artwork…

FF-49_SPLASH.jpg

Here's my latest addition to the collection - only 6 FF's left!

Fantastic%20Four010_zpsopmkokqc.jpg

Nice! 6 FFs for the set? That sounds like winning to me! :headbang: What are the last 6 you need? :popcorn:

Oh, just some of the easy ones - 15, 12, 5, 4, 2, and 1. I don't even know why I haven't gotten them already. :)

Here's my latest addition to the collection - only 6 FF's left!

Fantastic%20Four010_zpsopmkokqc.jpg

Nice! 6 FFs for the set? That sounds like winning to me! :headbang: What are the last 6 you need? :popcorn:

Oh, just some of the easy ones - 15, 12, 5, 4, 2, and 1. I don't even know why I haven't gotten them already. :)

Seems everyone saves the expensive ones to the end. I have been in that position in collecting runs more times then I care to admit. I think it's easier to justify the extreme prices of the lower numbers when they are the last few we need to complete the sets. Good luck with the last few. :headbang:

Seems everyone saves the expensive ones to the end. I have been in that position in collecting runs more times then I care to admit. I think it's easier to justify the extreme prices of the lower numbers when they are the last few we need to complete the sets. Good luck with the last few. :headbang:

You are probably right. I think in my case - at least over the last few years - it's partly been a matter of not finding the right copy at the right price. The lower numbers are more expensive because they are more desirable, which of course means that sellers are reluctant to give a deal.

Thanks.

You are probably right. I think in my case - at least over the last few years - it's partly been a matter of not finding the right copy at the right price. The lower numbers are more expensive because they are more desirable, which of course means that sellers are reluctant to give a deal.

Thanks.

It has been the same for me – but again I think it is basically what Bronze age fan was saying.

I am now missing 12, 4 and 1 (under 20) and then 25, 21 (under 30) – but I really need to improve my #15 as I love that issue. :)

Thanks.

It's a real fun and hard (Expensive) set to put together. This may sound weird but I miss not still needing issues for the run. That's one of the high points (to me) of collecting. The searching and hunting for that one issue for the right price and grade that you can live with, once you get the last one......you get this great feeling of finally being able to say you have a complete collection, but over time you see you miss the hunt. :( I know I can upgrade....but I was never really big on doing that.

2012-05-29180813.jpg[/img]

Thanks.

It's a real fun and hard (Expensive) set to put together. This may sound weird but I miss not still needing issues for the run. That's one of the high points (to me) of collecting. The searching and hunting for that one issue for the right price and grade that you can live with, once you get the last one......you get this great feeling of finally being able to say you have a complete collection, but over time you see you miss the hunt. :( I know I can upgrade....but I was never really big on doing that.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm not much of an upgrader, either (I generally go for 3.0-5.0, and don't buy anything that I don't want to keep). I've finished off my X-Men and Avengers sets, and I often look at sales threads here full of those books and think, "Man, I wish I still needed some of these, they'd be PERFECT!" :) At least I can look back and see those titles that seemed to have heated up over the last few years - Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, Defenders, GOTG, etc - I managed to fill when nobody much cared about them. :banana:

I still have my DCs to work on, though, that's getting hard, too. My intermediate goal with most of them - since they date back to the 30s and 40s and get REALLY pricey - is to have all the ones published in my lifetime (1962+). Some pesky issues just seem to elude me - but like you said, once I have them, I might miss looking for them.

Thanks.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm not much of an upgrader, either (I generally go for 3.0-5.0, and don't buy anything that I don't want to keep). I've finished off my X-Men and Avengers sets, and I often look at sales threads here full of those books and think, "Man, I wish I still needed some of these, they'd be PERFECT!" :) At least I can look back and see those titles that seemed to have heated up over the last few years - Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, Defenders, GOTG, etc - I managed to fill when nobody much cared about them. :banana:

I still have my DCs to work on, though, that's getting hard, too. My intermediate goal with most of them - since they date back to the 30s and 40s and get REALLY pricey - is to have all the ones published in my lifetime (1962+). Some pesky issues just seem to elude me - but like you said, once I have them, I might miss looking for them.

..... it's the hunter/gatherer thing..... hardwired into our nature. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u