• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,709 posts in this topic

I got this one back from CGC last week, it has been in my collection for years and I send it in to get graded earlier this year with my coupon. It came back 7.5, I had it as a 6.5. Crow pages, but I knew that. I will not upgrade this one soon given the current prices.

DSC_0012%20829x1280_zpskbcdhoxc.jpg

Out of curiosity Mike, aside from the CROW pages (not a big deal), how was the paper around the spine? I am scared when it gets darker, as in some cases it also gets brittle, but in others not, as it’s just a dust shadow, or yellowing, and not a drastic degradation of paper quality… hm

The paper around the spine is a little brown. It's not brittle at all, but I know what you mean, I have a few 50's books in my collection that have brown spines where the paper has become very fragile thus damaging the spine, transforming spine creases into little tears and in some cases small chips are out of the spine. My guess is that books such as this have been stored on shelves un-bagged for a long time. I bought a collection last year and a lot of books in it had been stored like that for years.

Yes, often the color alone is not an indicator of the degradation of the paper, that’s why I asked (otherwise it would not have received a VF-/CGC 7.5, I believe).

In my limited experience, however, it has happened to me with Silver Age books and so when I see books with a browning spine area, I am scared to buy raw books or I inquire to see if the staples are holding well…

Aside from the spine color, your copy looks pretty! (thumbs u

I am missing #4 as well, and #12.

And #1? :)

Yeah.....I'm still without the circle 10 #1 and #2. I'm hoping to get my hands on a #1 (3.5-5.0) in the next couple of years, IF it's still somewhat within reach at that point.

Yeah.....I'm still without the circle 10 #1 and #2. I'm hoping to get my hands on a #1 (3.5-5.0) in the next couple of years, IF it's still somewhat within reach at that point.

Great!

I’m trying to accelerate the process and get one this year, but I guess I would settle with a graded 2.0-2.5 or raw 2.5-3.0, depending on price.

My #2… I just love the book! I already showed it, I have not resolved to deslab it yet, as I would have loved to find an equally nice copy without the tape pull defect… but again, these are pricey… :sorry:

J8almMuh.jpg

Great!

I’m trying to accelerate the process and get one this year, but I guess I would settle with a graded 2.0-2.5 or raw 2.5-3.0, depending on price.

My #2… I just love the book! I already showed it, I have not resolved to deslab it yet, as I would have loved to find an equally nice copy without the tape pull defect… but again, these are pricey… :sorry:

J8almMuh.jpg

Great book Vail!

I'm still missing 1-11, and since I just bought a Hulk 181 recently, the wife says those first 11 books have to wait til after the vacation this summer.

Priorities!

Great!

J8almMuh.jpg

That's a GREAT looking 3.0. Awesome.

Yes, it looks really fresh in the slab… cover paper is pretty white and there are no visible big creases on the cover, and the top corner is also pretty sharp.

Only thing is the tape pull and minor staining at the bottom which probably brought this pretty much down but I love it and I think in the end I will deslab it regardless… I have never browsed through one before! :D

I doubt very seriously that it would ever grade lower than 3.0...... I'd be confident deslabbing it..... and that Thing pin-up is awesome. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Oh well, that’s not the reason which kept me from deslabbing it – I just hoped to find a nice one without the tape pull… but again I don’t have the money so it’s all good… lol

Filling my modern run holes… Quiz: which one would you keep assumed you have to choose. I like both of these covers.

njzwiKdl.jpg 0XJQAOul.jpg

Oh well, that’s not the reason which kept me from deslabbing it – I just hoped to find a nice one without the tape pull… but again I don’t have the money so it’s all good… lol

Filling my modern run holes… Quiz: which one would you keep assumed you have to choose. I like both of these covers.

The first one with the filled in background

The first one with the filled in background

...definitely. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes, I think I’ll keep both – although I don’t really like what they did under the Millar and Hickman tenure (which I have yet to read in full, anyway), and all this "death" of the characters wildly_fanciful_statement, Alan Davis is always magic: he managed to capture a trily grieving atmosphere in an unique way: that image of Reed holding Sue is so powerful, and Ben on the side… the white makes it stand out more in some way. :)

But I don’t want to fall in the trap of collecting cover variants… I have already kept the Deadpool one from that other issue… lol

BTW, for the "death" issue, I was too lazy to look for a polybagged 1st print, so I opted for this one… I think the black and white gives a more peculiar atmosphere. And I love how the Thing looks early Kirbysh (less "scaled")… :cloud9:

pREXe6Rh.jpg