• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

It's official, my estimated final price for the Adventure #37 on Ebay has been blown out of the water! Currently over $660. Now I really feel good about what I paid!

Get your bid in there sacentaur!!!

Adventure Comics #37

Too rich for my blood - I'm sure there's a Marvel Fanfare # 1 out there somewhere with my name on it to ease the pain.

STEVE Got Larson?

It's official, my estimated final price for the Adventure #37 on Ebay has been blown out of the water! Currently over $660. Now I really feel good about what I paid!

Get your bid in there sacentaur!!!

Adventure Comics #37

Too rich for my blood - I'm sure there's a Marvel Fanfare # 1 out there somewhere with my name on it to ease the pain.

STEVE Got Larson?

Apparently your pain is easily subsided. poke2.gifinsane.gif

West

news.gif Speaking of Adventure #37......

There was some discussion, earlier in this thread I believe, about who the cover artist for this issue was (this cover was also used on Double Action Comics #2). A lot of people attribute it to Creig Flessel. I also thought he drew it. In fact, CGC gives him the credit for it on their grading label (see below).

This has always been one of my favorite golden Age covers, so I wrote to Mr. Flessel asking him to do a cover recreation of this issue. I received a letter back from him today which says: "....However, the cover you are asking me to recreate was not done by Creig Flessel, I have never seen it before. It was done by another (deceased) artist, John Richard Flanigan, who did illustrations for Blue Book and the Pulps." Mystery solved!

I thought some of you would be interested to finally be able to put this to bed. I haven't heard of Flanigan and don't know what other comic work he did. If someone's feeling ambitious, maybe you can research this.

Adventure375.jpg

You know, between the Obidiah Oldbuck thread and my accidental visit to the Comics General forum (oh my freaking god, what a mess),

Yep, both are total nightmares. foreheadslap.gif

I'm struck by the urge to simply post more scans.

So here's Adventure Comics #39. Like #38 above, this is another cover that GCD credits to Flessel which I believe looks more like an O'Mealia:

adventure39.jpg

That book is really a stunner in-hand. I think it looks like O'Mealia, especially when you look at the Natives' faces. The dude being burned at the stake looks more like Flessel though. confused.gif

Good job re Flanigan. To my eye, all of these covers where we were unclear if they were Flessel or O'Mealia look to be by the same hand. Not every day a great GA cover artist is uncovered! grin.gif

There was some discussion, earlier in this thread I believe, about who the cover artist for this issue was (this cover was also used on Double Action Comics #2). A lot of people attribute it to Creig Flessel. I also thought he drew it. In fact, CGC gives him the credit for it on their grading label (see below).

This has always been one of my favorite golden Age covers, so I wrote to Mr. Flessel asking him to do a cover recreation of this issue. I received a letter back from him today which says: "....However, the cover you are asking me to recreate was not done by Creig Flessel, I have never seen it before. It was done by another (deceased) artist, John Richard Flanigan, who did illustrations for Blue Book and the Pulps." Mystery solved!

I thought some of you would be interested to finally be able to put this to bed. I haven't heard of Flanigan and don't know what other comic work he did. If someone's feeling ambitious, maybe you can research this.

Adventure375.jpg

Thanks! hail.gif

Makes my day to learn about another good artist.

I agree with Bronty of having had trouble believing that Flessel drew the Adventure 37 and 39 -- not because they weren't as good but because they were different from Flessel and O'Mealia but still quite attractive.

Edited by adamstrange

Adventure375.jpg

That's fantastic! Great job! 893applaud-thumb.gif

So, has anyone heard of Flanigan? I must admit that I'm not too familiar with a lot of Golden Age artists beyond the ones that everyone knows of, so it's no surprise that I've never heard his name. Does anyone know of any other works that he's done?

Isn't his response a bit odd? First, he refers to himself in the third person, and then he says he's never seen it before, but yet he knew who did it.

I will say the answer makes sense, though, because it never looked like Flessel to me either. It wasn't as good.

27_laughing.gif That's the first thing I thought. It's funny how he says he's never seen it before, then he states who drew it. I assume he knew who drew it by seeing the artwork. I'm sure he's still got a sharp "artist's eye".

So, has anyone heard of Flanigan? I must admit that I'm not too familiar with a lot of Golden Age artists beyond the ones that everyone knows of, so it's no surprise that I've never heard his name. Does anyone know of any other works that he's done?

He's a new one on me as well, a quick online search shows he did do interior illos for both Blue Book and Adventure: for Adventure in 35-36 and for Blue Book in 38-39. Bio info states he was born in Australia and died in York, Pennsylvania. The name is listed however as Flanagan instead of Flanigan. He has earlier credits going back to the mid-20's. Unfortunately, I have more Argosy than I have Adventures so I don't have any he is listed having worked in.

He did illustrate all of Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu tales that appeared in Collier's from 1929 to 1935 - This fills in the blank from the mid-20's to the mid-30's. His name here is in good company with Coll and Benda, also associated with Fu Manchu art duties.

November 1929 Flanagan Illo -

1427617-Flanagan-FiresofBaal-FuManchu.jpg

June 1932 - Mask of Fu Manchu -

1427617-Flanagan-MaskofFuManchu.jpg

Details of the Mask -

1427617-Flanagan-MaskofFuManchu-Mask.jpg

Wally Wood redo version in the Fu Manchu book - (cue Fuelman to post a scan of his copy) - 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1427617-Flanagan-MaskFuManchu-WoodVersion.jpg

Dr. Fu Manchu -

1427617-Flanagan-DrFuManchu.jpg

Fu Manchu's Bride -

1427617-Flanagan-FuManchuBride.jpg

Edited to add: Love that Dr. Fu Manchu solo shot.

1427617-Flanagan-MaskFuManchu-WoodVersion.jpg.f334eedb109aa4392c4f981d8ce711db.jpg

You get a gold star for your excellent post! Thanks for the new info. thumbsup2.gif

Two Gold Stars! sumo.gif

Thanks, Scrooge!

Isn't his response a bit odd? First, he refers to himself in the third person, and then he says he's never seen it before, but yet he knew who did it.

I will say the answer makes sense, though, because it never looked like Flessel to me either. It wasn't as good.

Dude, Creig Flessel is 90-some years old. Cut him some slack already. 27_laughing.gif

Here are some of my contributions. I owned these briefly until (ahem) an unforeseen problem reared its head. They are now in the possession of the San Diego Police Department. 27_laughing.gif

Incidentally, does anyone know who is the rightful owner of these books?

This Adventure #53 has a detached cover:

Adventure53-a.jpg

Adventure53-b.jpg

Adventure115-a.jpg

Adventure115-b.jpg

Adventure127-a.jpg

Adventure127-b.jpg

Adventure161-a.jpg

Adventure161-b.jpg

Fantastic work, Michael. I can see some resemblance in his work to O'Mealia. So now I'm wondering if some of the unattributed covers in this thread that didn't look like Flessel but looked like O'Mealia might really have been Flanagan. Amazing how a mystery can be solved so easily through a letter to the source! 27_laughing.gif Perhaps we can ask Mr. Flessel whether some of the other covers that were debated here were his, Leo's or Flanagan's.