• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Noob to this board, question about sales and payments. When you sell a book, the accepted form of transaction is the buyer makes the payment, once payment is verified, the seller ships the book, correct ?

This may seem like a stupid question, but this transaction order makes the most sense to me ..

and it seems that there is an allowable 1 month window for payment to be made ?

Thanks

your order seems correct, but I think 'payment window' is typically up to the seller, and usually maybe a week or 2 at most (many/most pay faster)? the '30 day window' is used for the purpose of the probation list, which you can research in another related thread.

Sometimes a n00b will ship first and then get paid, to establish some cred. I do not recall anyone having any problem with this, however, there are lots of people that have been burned by sending n00bs scads of money for what look like smokin' deals.

It sounds like there may be a lack of communication of basic details in this case, so :popcorn:

I need some advice here. I sold a boardie a raw book, provided a couple of pics and a brief description of condition. He got it graded and it came back restored and he wants a full refund because of this. How should I procede?

I would accept the book back and call this a learning lesson.

Going forward, you have to think about how you will want to deal with this sort of thing. If you put in your listings, "I am not responsible if the book comes back restored", then your going to have some people avoid buying from you and also some think that you don't know what you're doing.

You could guarantee all books that you sell are unrestored, and if, on the very small chance that they come back restored, you'll accept returns with no issues. This will force you to be more diligent when looking over your books. It'll help you learn and train your eye to look for this sort of thing. It will also instill confidence in your potential buyers. These are all good things. (thumbs u

I need some advice here. I sold a boardie a raw book, provided a couple of pics and a brief description of condition. He got it graded and it came back restored and he wants a full refund because of this. How should I procede?

I would accept the book back and call this a learning lesson.

Going forward, you have to think about how you will want to deal with this sort of thing. If you put in your listings, "I am not responsible if the book comes back restored", then your going to have some people avoid buying from you and also some think that you don't know what you're doing.

You could guarantee all books that you sell are unrestored, and if, on the very small chance that they come back restored, you'll accept returns with no issues. This will force you to be more diligent when looking over your books. It'll help you learn and train your eye to look for this sort of thing. It will also instill confidence in your potential buyers. These are all good things. (thumbs u

+1

It's a pretty basic Golden Rule scenario. Taking the return can hurt, but think how much you'd appreciate it if you were on the other end. All that said, I don't think it's unreasonable to put a time limit on it, like "All returns cheerfully accepted within six months of purchase" or whatever. It's not really fair for someone to come back at you two years later, know what I mean?

Probably be in you best interests to pick up the CGC fees for the buyer as well.

I mean it's just good business to insure the buyer is returned to whole since ultimately it was your mistake.

xxx ooo

Rupp

Thanks for the input guys. I will make changes in future listings or sell slabs only.

Gosh no ! Never give up selling raws! Accidents happen and will probably happen again.

Same thing that happened to you, happened to me a few months back where I missed some color touch.

If CGC can't detect restoration with three different tries on a single key book and flip-flop back and forth between purple and blue and they still are in business... then I'd say we as the lowly comic sellers should be given a little leeway on mistakes as well as long as we correct them.

I mean we are only human... just like them.

Don't give up the raw business until the slightly obese lady sings :foryou:

xxx ooo

Rupp

Thanks for the input guys. I will make changes in future listings or sell slabs only.

Gosh no ! Never give up selling raws! Accidents happen and will probably happen again.

Same thing that happened to you, happened to me a few months back where I missed some color touch.

If CGC can't detect restoration with three different tries on a single key book and flip-flop back and forth between purple ad blue and they still are in business... then I'd say we as the lowly comic sellers should be given a little leeway on mistakes as well as long as we correct them.

I mean we are only human... just like them.

Don't give up the raw business until the slightly obese lady sings :foryou:

xxx ooo

Rupp

Agreed. As long as you anticipate and plan for something like this happening from time to time, the hit won't be so bad. And when you're on the other side of an unforeseen PLOD someday, don't feel bad about speaking up.

I made the switch to slabs years ago and would never go back.

I have no opinion on PLOD, qualified, universal or SS but the core of my business is the customer getting what they paid for. As opposed to taking the time to educate myself on all the restoration types etc I chose to only sell slabs. I do not qualify my sales in any way. My CGC 9.8 is what it is. Some say "should be a 9.9" or various other qualifiers.

I don't get returns.

Plods don't bother me at all. I have some beautiful restored books, but I know I am in the minority :)

O, I'm not saying they're bad, just that if you pay for what you think is a Universal and wind up with a PLOD, that's not the coolest thing in the world and you shouldn't feel bad about speaking up if you're so inclined.

+1 to what everyone else said, taking the book back and offering a full refund (assuming the sale was relatively recent, ie last year or less) would put you in line with what most reputable sellers do here.

taking the book back and refunding the slabbing fees would put you in the top 1%. Not expected by all buyers, but it certainly endears you to them.

Just to add my own experiences: this has happened to me twice on books I've sold on the boards, and I got the books from reputable big name dealers as "unrestored". I agree with everyone else, always take the book back.

I do have to say though that because of these incidents I'm discouraged about selling raw books, especially if they're over 100 bucks or so, and I don't know the full history of the book. I'm getting my good stuff slabbed before I sell it from now on. I just feel it's better for the customer, and for me, to sell this way. Of course if a book is known to be restored, I have no qualms selling it as such. Though even those I may want to slab just so I know the extent of the resto, and what was done to the book. It's hard to sell, say, a Batman #3 with just the description of "restored"(which is how I purchased it). I'd like all of the info to be there for the buyer, and also so that I can price the book fairly.

Are there any rules or guidelines for Board Auctions ? I thought there had to be a BIN price and there was a time restriction but I can't find anything. Please advise.

yeah Im surprised there's nothing explict in the guidelines,but here's what the standard convention is, in part so it complies with the "books must be listed with prices" rule

Auction guidelines

1. Book should be listed with a BIN price at which the book could be bought, thus negating the auction (if the auction is still in process).

2. Book should be listed with a starting price (opening bid amount)

3. The book auction should list the date and time that the auction will close (be sure to note which timezone that time is stated in)

4. The Auction rules should note how bids should be increased. Example: $1 bid increments up to $50, $5 bid increments up to $100, $10 increments above $100.

I think that covers what usually needs to be accounted for in an auction.

This thread is like breaking wind when you are all by yourself. Having said that, let's see if I get a response. I just saw a Sales thread where the scans were NOT the actual scans of the books, simply stock scans, like an E-Bay Mile High comics listing. Apparently, per the guidelines, there is nothing wrong with this ? I just think we should be better than E-Bay, more transparent. I think it should be a rule that scans are the actual books for sale. Anyone ?