• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

The reviews of Comicalgems' mystery boxes have all been glowing, so I don't see the problem; however, I understand the counter argument given the potential for abuse. There is a post in the ebay, dealer subforum pointing to an ebay listing re a crate of comics just recently opened and offering single comic grab bags for $16.90 shipped. Amazingly, a comic on the top of the pile was a Bat Adventures 12. I think that type of sale, if held on here, is what the rule is designed to prevent (shrug)

The reviews of Comicalgems' mystery boxes have all been glowing, so I don't see the problem; however, I understand the counter argument given the potential for abuse. There is a post in the ebay, dealer subforum pointing to an ebay listing re a crate of comics just recently opened and offering single comic grab bags for $16.90 shipped. Amazingly, a comic on the top of the pile was a Bat Adventures 12. I think that type of sale, if held on here, is what the rule is designed to prevent (shrug)

I wonder how many "mystery" boxes that chest seller has...maybe I will buy them all and wait to get all drek :)

I wonder how many "mystery" boxes that chest seller has...maybe I will buy them all and wait to get all drek :)

gowem.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Edited by bababooey

I actually don't care at all if mystery boxes are offered on the boards. I was just wondering out loud, as I was sure I remembered them being banned and there seemed to be more than ever lately.

I actually don't care at all if mystery boxes are offered on the boards. I was just wondering out loud, as I was sure I remembered them being banned and there seemed to be more than ever lately.

But this inadvertently tickled arch – which is understandable given the points he explained. I guess the key point is to reveal as much as possible the more valuable content, and add "mystery" books to complete the package, this should avoid any raffle. :)

Honestly I don’t think most of Jason’s buyer were buying from a "raffle" standpoint: most appear to be younger collectors which hoped for a deal on the whole of the better books and the filler material, and to get to know the various eras and characters, but it might be just me… hm

My mystery box lasted only about two hours... before it sold!

:whee:

-slym

Congrats!

Mine was poofed for excessive bumping at 2:00 AM and advertising a web site that features a raffle (which it doesn't).

So the word is still out on permanent-bans.

Deleting entire threads seems a bit excessive.

Rule #6 states "It must list specific books with purchase prices". How does a mystery box fall within this rule?

Good point

Good point for what? If they are meant to be "mystery boxes" the mystery is gone.

Because the single prices are not listed does not mean automatically that the boxes are conceived as raffles. :shrug:

Rule 6 invalidates mystery boxes. (shrug)

So if each mystery box listed at least one specific book would that meet the requirement? It doesn't say "all" books must be listed.

• Administrator
Well thread killed. "Excessive bumping and advertising a mystery box site with a raffle/lottery"

I guess carrying on chat/input in ones own thread is excessive bumping at 2:00 am when no other threads are having activity anyway.

There's not an advertised lotto/raffle on my site either.

I didn't pull it, someone else did, but I understand the rationale. Pushing traffic to other sites isn't allowed in the boards-only area.

Well thread killed. "Excessive bumping and advertising a mystery box site with a raffle/lottery"

I guess carrying on chat/input in ones own thread is excessive bumping at 2:00 am when no other threads are having activity anyway.

There's not an advertised lotto/raffle on my site either.

I didn't pull it, someone else did, but I understand the rationale. Pushing traffic to other sites isn't allowed in the boards-only area.

Fair enough...

Does that mean everyone needs to be mindful not to link other sites in their signature line?

• Administrator

Fair enough...

Does that mean everyone needs to be mindful not to link other sites in their signature line?

No. The rule for the boards-only area is that it is for posts that offer items for sale that are only for sale on the boards. The sales advertising area is for everything else.

Signatures aren't really relevant. The only rules regarding signatures and other sites are:

1. No graphic banners for promotional entities. Text links ok.

2. No competitors to CCG or CCG initiatives.

And of course, all the usual "be nice" kinds of things.

A couple of questions...

1. Is it acceptable or considered poor form to start a second sales thread simultaneously while you have another separate sales thread still active?

2. Is it acceptable to sell a scanner brand-new and still in the box in the comics sales thread? I read the rules and it says it is acceptable to sell "comics related items"

THX!

Tom

A couple of questions...

1. Is it acceptable or considered poor form to start a second sales thread simultaneously while you have another separate sales thread still active?

2. Is it acceptable to sell a scanner brand-new and still in the box in the comics sales thread? I read the rules and it says it is acceptable to sell "comics related items"

THX!

Tom

Seems as if 1. is a gray area. Pretty clear, I think, that the one book per thread gambit that a few people have tried isn't acceptable and the mods combine the threads when it's pointed out.

OTOH, it seems acceptable to have separate simultaneous (or nearly simultaneous) threads with different book genres: GA book thread, SA Marvel thread, or whatever. Even then, I think it's rare for anyone to start multiple threads at exactly the same time. Usually one thread has been up for at least a day or two and has started to die down before the next thread is up.

Just my observations about how acceptable practice seems to have evolved.

With respect to 2., people have listed scanners and I think they typically sell pretty quickly. So it seems both acceptable and a service to people who are looking for one but are perplexed as to which models do a decent job scanning slabs.