• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Certainly it is the OP's responsibility for the consequences of not being properly prepared or organized. Speaking for myself, I'm more patient with good faith efforts at compliance.

Compliance ? He stated in his thread that he was told he must grade his books so he 'complies' by saying they are all Good+ or something ridiculous. IMO, that is mocking the rules, not a good faith attempt at compliance. Sorry Crassus, I think you are wrong for both defending him and buying from him under these circumstances.

Fair enough. I did see that he responded to the grade rule by calling everything G+, I did not take it as mocking, although only the OP can speak for himself on that I guess. I saw it as a quick fix that ultimately was not going to make any sales in itself, nor was it in fact encouraging sales, since that will never substitute for an actual scan nor grade on a book nobody would buy otherwise.

The rules do not require both grades and scans, only one or the other, and I felt that since he had acknowledged the error and was starting to provide at least one or the other, scan and/or grade, that it was not unreasonable to give it time.

I am guessing that prior to the thread being deleted, there were still books listed with prices and no grades? Is that correct?

Certainly it is the OP's responsibility for the consequences of not being properly prepared or organized. Speaking for myself, I'm more patient with good faith efforts at compliance.

Compliance ? He stated in his thread that he was told he must grade his books so he 'complies' by saying they are all Good+ or something ridiculous. IMO, that is mocking the rules, not a good faith attempt at compliance. Sorry Crassus, I think you are wrong for both defending him and buying from him under these circumstances.

Fair enough. I did see that he responded to the grade rule by calling everything G+, I did not take it as mocking, although only the OP can speak for himself on that I guess. I saw it as a quick fix that ultimately was not going to make any sales in itself, nor was it in fact encouraging sales, since that will never substitute for an actual scan nor grade on a book nobody would buy otherwise.

The rules do not require both grades and scans, only one or the other, and I felt that since he had acknowledged the error and was starting to provide at least one or the other, scan and/or grade, that it was not unreasonable to give it time.

I am guessing that prior to the thread being deleted, there were still books listed with prices and no grades? Is that correct?

Since the thread is gone, I'm only going from memory but I thought he was only showing scans of books that people bought 'pending scan'. Also, in his initial post, he was trying to describe some crazy 'formula' that we should ascertain the grade from the price. How can that not be asking for trouble ? That is a dealer 'trick' at conventions. Price the book but don't grade it = there is no argument about the grade, only the price. Actually, this 'trick' is fine/legit if the books are in hand, but not here. Last time I looked at his thread, he was signing off for the weekend and yes, there were loads of listed ungraded books. I have stated, I had a lot of respect for this Boardie = I am disappointed in his actions. He is a long time Boardie and should have known better.

Since the thread is gone, I'm only going from memory but I thought he was only showing scans of books that people bought 'pending scan'. Also, in his initial post, he was trying to describe some crazy 'formula' that we should ascertain the grade from the price. How can that not be asking for trouble ? That is a dealer 'trick' at conventions. Price the book but don't grade it = there is no argument about the grade, only the price. Actually, this 'trick' is fine/legit if the books are in hand, but not here. Last time I looked at his thread, he was signing off for the weekend and yes, there were loads of listed ungraded books. I have stated, I had a lot of respect for this Boardie = I am disappointed in his actions. He is a long time Boardie and should have known better.

I agree that ascertaining grade from price only works with scans, and if there were still books with neither than it is true the thread was destined to be deleted. Perhaps I assumed too much, the books I was interested in had nothing to do with their grades, so it was not front and center in my mind. Normally I do not accept even simply scans in sales, as I feel the stating of a grade is a more sure guarantee of the product.

So your points are well taken. I will not dispute it.

I agree that ascertaining grade from price only works with scans, and if there were still books with neither than it is true the thread was destined to be deleted. Perhaps I assumed too much, the books I was interested in had nothing to do with their grades, so it was not front and center in my mind. Normally I do not accept even simply scans in sales, as I feel the stating of a grade is a more sure guarantee of the product.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. Just curious, since the thread is gone, are the sales null and void or do you still get your books via PM exchange ?

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. Just curious, since the thread is gone, are the sales null and void or do you still get your books via PM exchange ?

I always assume that a deal is a deal, and that the obligation is not removed even if a thread is. The exceptions would be the discovery after the fact that the seller/buyer is PL or HoS, or has some bad faith intention (i.e. you discover only later the seller is a known scammer or some such). Otherwise, for me, a deal is a deal.

A few months ago, someone had a sales thread which had some inappropriate covers, people had taken some books in the thread, but later the sales thread was poofed.

The seller had no idea who had taken what so they had to relist everything again and previous :takeit: werent not honored

:wishluck:

I am one of the buyers in that thread. While I did find the first post odd, within a very short time the OP did acknowledge that he was not in compliance and began to take steps to fix it, and to ensure that any customers were satisfied of the books, their condition and no buyer to my knowledge was held to any obligations of sale until there was full disclosure.

You are correct, he did acknowledge he was not in compliance. As a 'fix' he broadly graded all books Good+ or something ridiculous. I just don't like the way things are headed with sellers here. First, the new thing was to not post pics, only if requested sort of thing. Now here, he is not even giving a grade, trying to explain that you can ascertain a general grade by the price. ???? I mean you can list on the Boards for free. Isn't that incentive enough to put a little effort in to a sales thread, like grading the books. I'm sorry, if you are one of the buyers I think you are wrong in condoning this. I previously had a lot of respect for this seller as a Boardie. Now, I don't know, I just don't understand what's going on here anymore. Does anybody monitor the Sales threads anymore ? Doesn't anyone else care ? (shrug):preach:

I agree with you 100%, selling here is not a right, it's a privilege and it's often taken for granted. Sales threads like the one you're referring to are simply lazy like the losers that sell at flea markets thinking they have great books that no one else has.

Aren't some of those "losers" customers of yours?

• Administrator

I am having a very hard time right now justifying allowing mystery boxes.

Every thread I see that has them has some odd combination of "Prizes for whoever spends the most" or "A private party celebration after the sale" or "Some one MAY get X chase book".

These are raffles / prizes / contests, and it's outside of reasonable to monitor handle these.

The ONLY version of this situation that I was attempting to allow is that someone might be able to buy a set of low value books in bulk without having to image / describe all of them.

But really, it's just turned into a promotional strategy that is ALWAYS tied to a "lucky winner" mentality - which is NOT allowed.

Unless inspiration strikes about a good way to easily allow low value bulk purchasing without straying into lucky winner territory, I'm going to ban mystery boxes.

Thoughts?

Unless inspiration strikes about a good way to easily allow low value bulk purchasing without straying into lucky winner territory, I'm going to ban mystery boxes.

Thoughts?

Ban away please

Thoughts?

Ban away please

Yep. The fee free selling forum should not be the Wild West and everyone wants to test the limits.

There is a disturbance in The Force and Arch is here to correct it! :ohnoez:

I know some on the boards complain just to complain. You guys are not those types though, so what are the biggest complaints you have against the MB sellers? Is it the non-stop bumping of the threads or just trying to prevent boardies from being taken advantage of? The latter I can completely understand.

I like them. I have bought several and have no complaints. The part I like is the "mystery", not the value (but of course value helps). I guess I just don't see what the downside is. I could understand if people were complaining about not getting promised value, but other than that it seems like a fair transaction.

Considering I'm arguably the biggest mystery box seller on the boards...and I've not had any major complaints spring up from actual buyers it does bother me that people complain about my threads.

Do I raise Hell and accuse people of being trolls when obviously they are? Nope.

I just keep doing what I'm doing and trying not to step on anyone's toes.

It's probably obvious which way I'm leaning on the ban or not to ban coin...

I like them. I have bought several and have no complaints. The part I like is the "mystery", not the value (but of course value helps). I guess I just don't see what the downside is. I could understand if people were complaining about not getting promised value, but other than that it seems like a fair transaction.

Thanks and you are like most of my buyers...returning repeat business.