• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Arch - does the board software have the capability to prohibit new users from starting threads in select forums (such as "Comics Market - Forum Only Selling Area") until they have a minimum post count? That would be cool...

Arch - does the board software have the capability to prohibit new users from starting threads in select forums (such as "Comics Market - Forum Only Selling Area") until they have a minimum post count? That would be cool...

I don't think that would really serve as a draw back. There would just be a a lot more lol and :headbang: posts in threads and new topics started about nothing to boost post counts :( I joined in July and I've seen people who joined the same time as me with thousands of posts already :o

I don't think that would really serve as a draw back. There would just be a a lot more lol and :headbang: posts in threads and new topics started about nothing to boost post counts :( I joined in July and I've seen people who joined the same time as me with thousands of posts already :o

:headbang:

Good for them! :applause:

Regardless of the level of effectiveness, it would be some minor hurdle to using this place as ebay...as it is now, there's no vetting process and there's nothing preventing a scammer to sign up and fire away. :pullhair:

As for the continuing limitations of well-established and trustworthy "dealers" to sell stuff here, that's an old argument...or maybe I'm just getting old. :preach:

This is probably a good place for me to ask this,relating to DrBanners question about posts count and being able to sell on here.By the way,good to see you Doc...this is Rob at Capitol City Comics and have bought some killer books from you in the past. I haven`t really done much on here until recently,and have been mostly buying books. I want to start a 'for sale' thread,but wanted to adhere to the guidelines posted,but have noticed some grey areas and "unwritten" rules also. My posts count is very low,but hopefully will rise quickly. This is what I was considering doing,and see if I can get some feedback from anyone as the best way to do it. I recently bought someones complete thread of books and wanted to keep some and sell the rest or be up for trade possiblities.I know I have to put a price I am willing to sell for and would do that,but would also be up for any creative deals per PM. It would be easiest to link his old thread in my thread,and just list the books that arent available,as most books would be available. He had scans and GPA info on his,and I would definately ask him if thats ok to use it. Also,what section would I start this in. I recently perused a thread in the For Sale topic and the person was up for trading and/or selling and there was discussion about what area would be best for that. Anyones 2 cents would be appreciated.

Thanks,Rob.

Rob, the rules are relatively simple.

If you want to sell here just make sure it's an exclusive offer on the boards.

Make some mention of references or people that can vouch for you if you haven't sold here before. It'll help build some trust for prospective buyers. eBay references, other dealers or board members. Whatever you can use to help build trust.

If you grade fair and price fair (books and shipping costs) then you should be ok.

Clear scans will help represent the books.

Somebody will inevitably start something in your thread. Just stay cool and grow a thick skin.

Have fun.

(thumbs u

Thanks for the feedback. Yes...I`ve been reading alot of the 'For Sale' threads that have basically turned into soap opera material. Contributing to the forum to be able to sell, seems to be a topic that has been discussed quit a bit. I have been collecting and dealing in comics since the late 80`s and probably have bought/sold to a few people on here that I cant remember. I feel as time goes by,I will post more and "contribute " what I can and maybe offer up some descent books at descent deals. What do you think of me using a link to the old thread?

If you're from Capitol City Comics, you could always list the conventions you set up at, etc. (if any)

Welcome to the boards. Thanks for asking for advice before posting your For Sale thread. (thumbs u

Thanks for the feedback. Yes...I`ve been reading alot of the 'For Sale' threads that have basically turned into soap opera material. Contributing to the forum to be able to sell, seems to be a topic that has been discussed quit a bit. I have been collecting and dealing in comics since the late 80`s and probably have bought/sold to a few people on here that I cant remember. I feel as time goes by,I will post more and "contribute " what I can and maybe offer up some descent books at descent deals. What do you think of me using a link to the old thread?

Hey Rob, what's up!?!? I seem to recall at one point you might have sold a 9.4 copy of Captain America Comics 46 on ebay? Maybe it was someone else.

I would suggest not simply "linking" to the other thread. You can certainly copy/paste any relevant info and put it into your new thread, including links to the images if the original seller still has them.

As far as trades, etc.,. you can simply list an asking price for the books (either individually or as a lot), and note that you'd be open to trade offers, or offers on the books, whatever. No problem there.

As far as a minimum post count requirement, as you can see from reading the threads, there are a lot of deadbeat buyers on here, as well as many sellers that just don't quite get it (I don't think you're one of these, but as you can see, there are many!).

Good luck with the sale! (thumbs u

Actually,that was me that HAD the CAP # 46 ,but it was graded 9.2 at that time. If anyone would like to hear a cool story about that book,PM me. The book that makes me physically ill when I think about having sold it,was a 9.0 copy of CAP # 59. Oh well,regrets are a dime a dozen. Again,thanks for help and advice as I should get the books soon and hopefully make some cool transactions on here.

When the following guideline was devised

Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed.

its purpose was to make sure a dealer didn't come on and post a free ad for their dealer site like this:

Hey, it's XXX from www.dealerspam.com, here to offer some books that were previously listed on www.dealerspam.com and are now removed to keep with the guidelines. We at www.dealerspam.com truly respect CGC members and we invite you to try out our www.dealerspam.com website.

Dealer XXX

www.dealerspam.com

But the wording is incorrect, as can be interpreted as limiting this to "involving purchasing the offered books" only, which is already covered in the previous "board-only offering" guideline. So as someone pointed out, dealers could list their websites, email addresses, post ads, etc. over and over and over, as long as they weren't related to the posted books for sale, which is again, not the purpose of the guideline when we first opened it for discussion.

• Administrator

You can set up groups that limit posting like that, yes - but you cannot automatically grant membership to people based on post counts. It would be a manual process to add people.

You can set up groups that limit posting like that, yes - but you cannot automatically grant membership to people based on post counts. It would be a manual process to add people.

Gotcha, thanks. (thumbs u

• Administrator

Disallowing Personal PayPal Payments

----------------------------------------------------------

The point has been raised that this isn't exactly an above board practice and also deprives people of recourse. I'm disinclined to allow this to be an advertised method of payment for a variety of reasons. I'm thinking about adding that to the guidelines.

Discuss?

The point has been raised that this isn't exactly an above board practice and also deprives people of recourse. I'm disinclined to allow this to be an advertised method of payment for a variety of reasons. I'm thinking about adding that to the guidelines.

Discuss?

I think it's a great idea Arch. (thumbs u

Discuss?

I think that it is above board in many situations. There are many payment options (mo/cash/check) that leave buyers with no recourse. I think this is an issue best left to self policing as i dont think you could or should ban it altogether.

Discuss?

Great idea, and not only to protect fellow board members, but also to keep CGC's marketplace and name squeaky clean. (thumbs u