• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Disallowing Personal PayPal Payments

----------------------------------------------------------

The point has been raised that this isn't exactly an above board practice and also deprives people of recourse. I'm disinclined to allow this to be an advertised method of payment for a variety of reasons. I'm thinking about adding that to the guidelines.

Discuss?

I think that it is above board in many situations. There are many payment options (mo/cash/check) that leave buyers with no recourse. I think this is an issue best left to self policing as i dont think you could or should ban it altogether.

I do prefer Personal, but I have also taken other forms of payment to accomidate the buyer. The buyer has the option to pass up a sale if he wants due to the type of payment? Am I wrong?

The point has been raised that this isn't exactly an above board practice and also deprives people of recourse. I'm disinclined to allow this to be an advertised method of payment for a variety of reasons. I'm thinking about adding that to the guidelines.

Discuss?

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea at all and don't see any benefit to "the forum" getting involved in any of the financial transaction aspects of the marketplace. As has been pointed out, it's not different than a check/MO as far as recourse. If buyer's don't like the seller's terms, buyer's don't have to deal with the seller...it's as simple as that. (thumbs u

The point as I see is that CGC has been nice enough to allow a FREE marketplace for sellers to ply their wares under a NO-COST scenario that incurs sellers ZERO FEES.

Now, many sellers are openly and wantonly flaunting the Paypal Terms of Service, by effectively forcing buyers to fraudulently use the Personal Payment option, even though it is a valid sale transaction that is not allowed as per Paypal's TOS. Not only could both parties have their accounts terminated, but the buyer has zero protection in the event of a dispute.

You're essentially asking CGC, who charges you NOTHING to sell here and provides a FREE marketplace, to be a willing accomplice to sellers trying to scam Paypal of its transaction fees.

Does that sound fair? Hasn't CGC done enough?

[if buyer's don't like the seller's terms, buyer's don't have to deal with the seller...it's as simple as that. (thumbs u

And conversely, if sellers don't like the Marketplace Guidelines, then they are free to sell elsewhere.. simple as that. (thumbs u

You seem to forget that CGC doesn't make a cent off board transactions, and rightfully should be more concerned with allowing sellers to skim Paypal's legally owed transaction fees.

The point as I see is that CGC has been nice enough to allow a FREE marketplace for sellers to ply their wares under a NO-COST scenario that incurs sellers ZERO FEES.

Now, many sellers are openly and wantonly flaunting the Paypal Terms of Service, by effectively forcing buyers to fraudulently use the Personal Payment option, even though it is a valid sale transaction that is not allowed as per Paypal's TOS. Not only could both parties have their accounts terminated, but the buyer has zero protection in the even of a dispute.

You're essentially asking CGC, who charges you NOTHING to sell here and provides a FREE marketplace, to be a willing accomplice to sellers trying to scam Paypal of its transaction fees.

Not to make waves, but why do i pay a membership fee if its free? just asking.

Now, many sellers are openly and wantonly flaunting the Paypal Terms of Service, by effectively forcing buyers to fraudulently use the Personal Payment option, even though it is a valid sale transaction that is not allowed as per Paypal's TOS. Not only could both parties have their accounts terminated, but the buyer has zero protection in the even of a dispute.

Many board members are not paid members of the Collectors Society. ;)

From the Paypal TOS Agreement:

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments.

If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

A Purchase Payment is a payment received for any of the following:

* A sale of goods or services (a “Commercial Transaction”);

* A payment you received after using the “Request Money” tab on the PayPal website;

* A payment you received for a donation; or

* A payment that is sent to, or received by, a business or other commercial or non-profit entity.

A Personal Payment is:

* Amounts sent to a friend or family member without a purchase. Personal Payments include, but are not limited to, sending a gift to a friend, or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill;

13.5 PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy

1. What is the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy?

It is PayPal’s process to help you resolve a problem directly with the seller through the PayPal Resolution Center for purchases that are not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). By filing a Dispute, you can communicate with the seller and attempt to resolve the problem. If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may escalate an Item Not Received (INR) Dispute to a Claim – but you may not escalate a Significantly Not as Described Dispute to a Claim.

You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment.

Discuss?

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea at all and don't see any benefit to "the forum" getting involved in any of the financial transaction aspects of the marketplace. As has been pointed out, it's not different than a check/MO as far as recourse. If buyer's don't like the seller's terms, buyer's don't have to deal with the seller...it's as simple as that. (thumbs u

It is, actually - checks & money orders don't have legal limitations on how they can be used; paypal's personal payment option does.

That doesn't mean that people aren't still going to be using the PP personal option here on the boards - I have no intention of stopping myself - but allowing people to openly circumvent paypal's terms of service (like JC mentions) here is a can of worms that I don't think CGC has no business opening.

If you're paying a membership fee for access to the CGC Boards, then you're a Grade A sucker. :roflmao:

golden-gate-bridge-color-accent-at-dusk.jpg

:takeit:lol

Paypal Personal Please . . . :roflmao:

Discuss?

Good idea, Arch. We will still have abusers, but that happens everywhere (you know who you are). I think it should also be an acceptable defense against a "probation list" claim.

-d

What should we blitch about next?!? (shrug)

Announcements posing as sales threads.

Max time allowed before listings start? 30 minutes?

Discuss.

I've been noticing a few people I LIKE, putting up one book as a place holder...

I can't really understand why, but it's becoming a trend. I thought that was why October started the Announcement thread?

Of course when one person does it, then 3 others decide it's brilliant;)

Pretty soon there will be 40 empty threads, with POPCORN popping, and 1 book each to make a token effort to get around what the poster really thinks is bending the rules...

:shrug:

Discuss.

Sales threads posing as announcements (while we're at it) Both are against the rules. :sumo:

Discuss.

This has nothing to do with sales problems and should not be discussed in this thread. Are people really that unhappy and want to complain just to complain? If it's against the rules it belongs in a different thread not this one

Discuss.

This has nothing to do with sales problems and should not be discussed in this thread. Are people really that unhappy and want to complain just to complain? If it's against the rules it belongs in a different thread not this one

Point taken, but I couldn't quote his question in the proper thread, he didn't ask it there. :makepoint:

I'm sure it's around here somewhere, so please forgive me if I'm asking a question out of line, I'm still a newbie.

I got my first return request (over condition, even though I think I undergrade, there was a discount and I gave free shipping, but whatever) and I'm wondering about procedure.

Do I wait until I get the books back before I refund through paypal?

It seems this would be the standard way, but I just want to make sure I'm following board procedure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Chuck Gower