• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Spideys

422 posts in this topic

Looks like unfortunate events like my car being in need of some serious repairs and loss of work for a few months until I get a good job again has put me into a position where I will have to move my collection. I'm setting it up for a Thursday 10 day auction which will end the following Sunday. They didn't sell as a whole last time I had them up so I am selling them separately. I'm keeping a few but for the most part they are going to different homes. It's killing me but I have no real major choice. I think if I do well enough I'll probably grab up a couple early spider-man villains like Lizard / Electro / Scorpion or the Goblin 1st app in CGC 9.0 or 9.2. I'll have to see. I'll still be collecting spider-man books no doubt and plan on getting some nice SS books in the next while so will not stop there. Mind you this is going to kill the opportunity to hit my copper goal so I"m just going to roll with it and grab the odd nice book here and there.

Richard

Deal will stay on track. I don't fallout on anything I commit to so I will pay them off on schedule and move them myself with nice scans on ebay. Might lose 30 - 50 bucks on 2 books here but might make 30-50 there so I'm sure it will work itself out unless some other arrangements are made to go elsewhere.

I may start a yellow only 201-300 run as well. With the only books in my set being ones that are SS copies.

This could take a really long time though and I'm sure I'd never get them all but it would be fun. :-)

Only SS books and 1st Villain Appearances perhaps as I dip into the Silver age for some 1st apps in the next year or so. Time will tell.

Hey Richard, I'm really, really sorry to hear things have taken a turn for the worse and you'll have to downsize your collection. Wish I could help out, but your slabs are probably going to be a bit out of my range. I'm sure in just a short time you'll find yourself back up and running.

Oh yeah. Thank you very much for your kind words Forrest. Much appreciated. I'm planning on keeping my SS books anyway. And Jon Jesperson is getting about 10 of my other books SS'd by Rubenstein who worked with Frenz on all the books in the Frenz run for the most part so you can expect to see some nice yellow in the months to come. I may also get Pirate (Anthony) to get me some Stern books from earlier in the run.

Looks like yellow for now.

Best,

Richard

My first submissions! Naturally I went for the keys first:

ASM238.jpg

ASM300.jpg

Loads more where those came from. I'll see if I can pick out some 9.8's for my next sub :wishluck:

Nice books. What were the notes on the #238?

Nice books. What were the notes on the #238?

I haven't asked, but if I recall correctly it has a slightly soft bottom right corner. You can sort of see it in the scan there. I think it also had a tiny ding in the spine.

Pleased with the white pages though. This bodes well for the rest of my collection.

They were big shoes to fill. I always wondered if he changed his style to be more like McFarlane or if he was chosen because his style was similar. A good friend of mine actually went to school with Erik Larsen. Said that he was constantly doodling in class..big surprise!

I like Larsen's Spidey and that Comics Interview cover is a great example of one.

The primary difference for me between the two was Larsen was always more sharp v. the more roundedness of McFarlane's art. That's cool you're friend knew him. I'm hoping at some point to finally get to attend a big convention and meet some of these guys.

Conventions are a great way to meet the creators. A good thing to do before you go is to know what they look like. That way if you run into them at the hotel, the elevator, nearby restaurant or bar you can start a conversation (and maybe get an autograph).

Conventions are a great way to meet the creators. A good thing to do before you go is to know what they look like. That way if you run into them at the hotel, the elevator, nearby restaurant or bar you can start a conversation (and maybe get an autograph).

That is too true. Some of these guys walk away from their table and they are anonymous. I have had some of my best conversations with creators just this way.