• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,852 posts in this topic

The question of who created the Flash has been open to interpretation. Kanigher who got to write the first story has claimed it was mainly his idea. Julie's says his memory was otherwise.  Julie never claimed to have written a Flash story but the way he worked with his writers was, that they would sit in his office and kick the ideas around and when they had the plot worked out then go do lunch and Broome or Fox would then go home and type it up.

If Kanigher had in fact thought the story up from scratch or near scratch I have to query the use of the name Iris West. I think that Julie already had ideas going forward for the Flash one of which was a side kick, named Wallace West, the name of a Sc--Fi writer Julie was at least familiar with and possibly and agent for back in the 40s. I think Julie contributed much more of the original idea than Kanigher would like to admit.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:53 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

The question of who created the Flash has been open to interpretation. Kanigher who got to write the first story has claimed it was mainly his idea. Julie's says his memory was otherwise.  Julie never claimed to have written a Flash story but the way he worked with his writers was, that they would sit in his office and kick the ideas around and when they had the plot worked out then go do lunch and Broome or Fox would then go home and type it up.

If Kanigher had in fact thought the story up from scratch or near scratch I have to query the use of the name Iris West. I think that Julie already had ideas going forward for the Flash one of which was a side kick, named Wallace West, the name of a Sc--Fi writer Julie was at least familiar with and possibly and agent for back in the 40s. I think Julie contributed much more of the original idea than Kanigher would like to admit.

I know Julie created him - it was his idea. Now Bob definitely contributed and of course Carmine came up with that iconic look but in my mind I will always give Julie the credit for the concept.

Yeah Julie is credited everywhere but I have read a piece by Kanigher where he says that at the editors meeting that gave SC4 the go ahead he remembered being the advocate as much as Julie. Thinking of his Metal Men, Suicide Squad v Julie's JLA, Adam Strange, GL Atom, Hawkman no wonder Rob did not get much traction in his claim.

Yeah and I think Wally West may have been  created before SC4 hit the stands. Julie may have mapped out all the early pieces.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

My latest local pick up. Very nice condition, very rare to see then this good. One of my all time favourites as a kid and still is. The conversations between Barry & Iris were much more adult that the "young heroes in love " that the opposition pumped out. Still stands out to me whenever a Marvel fan tells me how childish DC in the 60s were and how Marvel was much more real. Better stop now. Aust chopped off a fair bit of the bottom but we picked up more of Wally. Always interests me how the stats we got often are a larger image than what ever made it to the cover.

Flash 156.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 4/25/2022 at 5:03 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Yeah Julie is credited everywhere but I have read a piece by Kanigher where he says that at the editors meeting that gave SC4 the go ahead he remembered being the advocate as much as Julie. Thinking of his Metal Men, Suicide Squad v Julie's JLA, Adam Strange, GL Atom, Hawkman no wonder Rob did not get much traction in his claim.

Yeah and I think Wally West may have been  created before SC4 hit the stands. Julie may have mapped out all the early pieces.

I would love to read that piece it may give me some new insight. Always looking for Flash reading material for the library. Please share the source when you get a chance. (thumbsu

On 4/28/2022 at 12:14 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

This was in the last HA feature auction. One big beautiful glossy full page giving this Flash book the love it deserves.

012.JPG

I wonder if anyone we know will go after this! Truly amazing! The Flash angels are singing....AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Just seeing a Flash in 9.8 from that era is worth 2 dancing bananas, right? :banana::banana:

On 4/28/2022 at 6:58 AM, flashlites said:

I wonder if anyone we know will go after this! Truly amazing! The Flash angels are singing....AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Just seeing a Flash in 9.8 from that era is worth 2 dancing bananas, right? :banana::banana:

Going to be worth a lot more of these....:flipbait:

On 4/28/2022 at 8:54 PM, flashlites said:

I would love to read that piece it may give me some new insight. Always looking for Flash reading material for the library. Please share the source when you get a chance. (thumbsu

Think it was an "Alter Ego". Will try and did it out, it is something I should keep a copy of. Julie and Bob were probably two of the longest running editors at DC along with Mort Wesinger. They were there from 40's to 70's. They shared the same office and Julie often gave Bob writing work. Julie and Mort never wrote but Bob was prolific (even if somewhat light) . Story goes in Bob's later years his workload dried up a  bit and so did his income (writing plus editor was a lot of $$ . ) He asked Julie for some writing work and when Julie said he did not have any, he said "come on Julie we're friends.."Julie's reply was something along the lines, of "we share an office Bob but we have never been friends".

Bob's war comics which he wrote and edited were exceptional. He also under Julie's editing co-created Black Canary and Poison Ivy. (the other co-creator was Carmine - with Julie as editor.) All of Bob's best creations have Julie as editor. Funny about that.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:38 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Think it was an "Alter Ego". Will try and did it out, it is something I should keep a copy of. Julie and Bob were probably two of the longest running editors at DC along with Mort Wesinger. They were there from 40's to 70's. They shared the same office and Julie often gave Bob writing work. Julie and Mort never wrote but Bob was prolific (even if somewhat light) . Story goes in Bob's later years his workload dried up a  bit and so did his income (writing plus editor was a lot of $$ . ) He asked Julie for some writing work and when Julie said he did not have any, he said "come on Julie we're friends.."Julie's reply was something along the lines, of "we share an office Bob but we have never been friends".

Bob's war comics which he wrote and edited were exceptional. He also under Julie's editing co-created Black Canary and Poison Ivy. (the other co-creator was Carmine - with Julie as editor.) All of Bob's best creations have Julie as editor. Funny about that.

The more I think I know about this character, the more I find that I did not know. Who knew Bob and Julie shared an office? I didn't. I gotta get Julie's biography next!!! Did Carmine ever write a bio? Thank you Terry for all of your insight and Flash wisdom!

Yeah there is a very good book out there on Carmine. I will dig out a photo. Julie's bio is called " Man of two Worlds" , very good but it covers a lot of Julie's life and he did a lot. Plenty of reference to him as a Sci-Fi agent. When you get into it, DC was actually a pretty small organisation back in late 50s-60s. Many of the writers worked from home. It was the editors who were so important in the success of failure of the books.

On 4/30/2022 at 8:09 AM, Jaylam said:

Holy multi-verse Batman! Earlier I posted one of my first raw pickups of the year was a Flash #140. I sent it in to be graded and just got it back yesterday. I knew it was a super-nice copy and thought it had some real high-grade potential, so I had it as probably a 9.0, 9.2 tops, but it looks like graders liked it even more. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic with the result!

1035534763_flash140A_edited.jpg.719f50fab8eb9fd7c8afff7f7ab73ff0.jpg2025704624_flash140B_edited.jpg.3ab08d5650a8637fd3601c2c94b4f9f6.jpg

:banana::banana::banana: OMG! Congratulations! That is definitely worth the triple dancing bananas! 

On 4/30/2022 at 8:28 AM, flashlites said:

:banana::banana::banana: OMG! Congratulations! That is definitely worth the triple dancing bananas! 

Next Question how long did the process take? Just wondering what the turnaround time experience was like. Has is gotten better?

On 4/30/2022 at 9:30 AM, flashlites said:

Next Question how long did the process take? Just wondering what the turnaround time experience was like. Has is gotten better?

Sent in with 5 other books under the Standard Tier. Shipped out Mar. 23, delivered to CGC Mar. 25. Marked received by CGC Apr. 8. Marked graded and shipped out from CGC Apr. 22. Delivered to me Apr. 29. 

On 4/30/2022 at 3:24 PM, Jaylam said:

Sent in with 5 other books under the Standard Tier. Shipped out Mar. 23, delivered to CGC Mar. 25. Marked received by CGC Apr. 8. Marked graded and shipped out from CGC Apr. 22. Delivered to me Apr. 29. 

Not bad at all! Sounds like they are back to pre pandemic turnaround times?

hey flash lovers, my 7 year old loves flash and i want to get a TPB that reprints the first SA flash stories. i got the SHOWCASE presents volume 1 only to find that it's in black and white, disappointingly. 

anyone know what is the full color version of that, kind of like the marvel omnibus stuff (though it does not have to be gigantic)?