• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,851 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I checked Ebay to see what's available for issue #123 and #139. Loads of issue #139 are for sale, but only a few for issue #123. There are so many issues of #139 for sale I wonder if some sellers might come down in the prices they are asking.  :wishluck:

Makes me think 139 were a warehouse find at one point in time🧐🧐

On 4/2/2022 at 9:36 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Makes me think 139 were a warehouse find at one point in time🧐🧐

According the CGC census, the total graded copies of #123 are 1,206 with 1,056 of those in Universal Grade; issue #139 is just slightly more with 1,225 total graded copies with 1,162 of those in Universal Grade. A few things might be in play right now; #123 is considered more of a key and is in more demand right now while the "it" factor of #139 is high, it may have cooled off a bit more recently. In general the value of #123 overall is just over 2X as much as #139 across most grades and about 3X more in higher grades at least based on the info I could find on the most recent sales.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:52 PM, etowah1123 said:

I believe that is the flash 105 I just bought lol or it looks identical 

Probably is. Bottom 2 are my books. The 105 I just pulled from the net. I have yet to scan the 105.

EDIT: Got out the scanner and scanned mine.

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:22 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

This one is also from the CCA files.

comicshow8cover (2).jpg

So RARE to see a full head shot of The Flash on a Showcase 8!

Most copies get cut off at the edge.

This one is right on!

Edited by DanCooper

On 4/6/2022 at 10:36 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

not pressed to death

I have never pressed or slabbed anything.

My SC 13 is a mess (obtained from a local fellow collector in about 1966, when condition was not the driving force it is now - it was a rarity as very, very few comics pre-late 1959 had made it to UK), 14 a bit better but probably not worth uploading.

There is a SC8 on HA now a 9.2 and you can see the difference in the two books. (not offering a grade guess on yours - but it is hi grade). They look quite different. One day when most keys have been pressed and repressed literally to death, the hi grade raw books may get appreciated.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:03 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

There is a SC8 on HA now a 9.2 and you can see the difference in the two books. (not offering a grade guess on yours - but it is hi grade). They look quite different. One day when most keys have been pressed and repressed literally to death, the hi grade raw books may get appreciated.

That SC8 on Heritage is one of the most overgraded slabs I have ever seen. Creasing everywhere. I might give it an 8.0 on a good day. 

On 4/7/2022 at 11:47 AM, october said:

That SC8 on Heritage is one of the most overgraded slabs I have ever seen. Creasing everywhere. I might give it an 8.0 on a good day. 

This 9.2 Showcase 8 in today's Heritage's auction was in last June's Heritage auction and sold for $31,200.

When it was listed last June, Heritage also noted the following in the description:

"Please note that there is a very small chip out of the bottom left corner of the CGC holder that does not affect the integrity of the book."

That note has been omitted from this auction, this time.

The copy is from the high grade Showcase run that Mike Goldman (Motor City Comics) discovered in the 1990s (dubbed the "Newsboy Collection" and the same collection that produced the Showcase 4 in CGC 9.6)

When Heritage originally auctioned off the Showcases direct from Mike in 2008 (THIRD time's a charm at Heritage!), I remember the boards here pointing out the front cover creasing and that the book wasn't a 9.2 in the best light or days.