• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,849 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2022 at 7:26 AM, flashlites said:

It reminds me of a very early issue in which another professor was kidnapped. (those professors ...dangerous job I guess:roflmao:)  Now I will have to go back and figure out which one I was thinking of and which one this is. 

Not an easy job when you have hundreds of issues to check. lol

On 6/6/2022 at 9:52 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Things on the Flash front have been a bit slow for me lately, which leads me to initiate yet another no-prize contest of Guess the Flash Issue. :banana:

Flash_134_PG4.jpeg

"The Threat of the Absent Minded Professor" who just happens to be in this story Iris's father. 2nd story from Flash #134, Feb. 1963 cover date.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:26 AM, flashlites said:

It reminds me of a very early issue in which another professor was kidnapped. (those professors ...dangerous job I guess:roflmao:)  Now I will have to go back and figure out which one I was thinking of and which one this is. 

It was originally thought this professor was kidnapped, but it was eventually revealed he was marooned on a tropical island by the incompetence of the crew on the boat he chartered.

professor.jpg.3cd892f9493fe07d495a1b4f6f3eae3e.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

On 6/11/2022 at 8:32 PM, Math Teacher said:

I picked up this issue from Comic Connect at the end of May. I usually try not to buy from Comic Connect because they always over-grade, but since this was in a CGC slab, I felt it was safe.

SC14.thumb.jpg.b435eac7a57e3108dbdd5ccd17512eca.jpg

So, I finally accomplished my goal of getting all the first appearances of the major Flash villains of the Silver Age.

SC #8 - First Captain Cold, SC #13 - First Mr. Element (currently at CGC having restoration removed), SC #14 - First Dr. Alchemy, Flash #105 - First Mirror Master, #106 - First Pied Piper and first Gorilla Grodd, Flash #110 - First Weather Wizard, Flash #113 - First Trickster, Flash #117 - First Captain Boomerang, Flash #122 - First Top, Flash #128 - First Abra Kadabra, Flash #139 - First Professor Zoom (still raw), and Flash #140 - First Heat Wave. Now all I need is high-grade copies of Flash #122 (Trickster cover) and Flash #174 (an iconic Flash cover), and my Flash collection will be complete.

Just an awesome collection there! Thank  you so much for sharing the journey with us! :banana::banana::banana:

On 6/11/2022 at 10:33 PM, PDS74 said:

Well, I completed my run of the Barry Allen Flash title (105-350) by acquiring a CGC graded copy of 105.  Very excited - I will post a pic when it arrives.  Now on to the Showcase issues! (except #4, haha, won't ever have the kind of dough needed for that!)

Welcome to the boards! Its always great to have a new Flash fan join the conversation! And CONGRATULATIONS!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:That is an awesome achievement! (Worth 4 dancing bananas) I too, am on the quest for the Showcase issues now. (except for #4) :roflmao:

Edited by flashlites

On 6/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, Math Teacher said:

Now all I need is high-grade copies of Flash #122 (Trickster cover) and Flash #174 (an iconic Flash cover), and my Flash collection will be complete.

Congrats, quite an achievement these days, many of those books are hot due to movies or TV shows. What are you onto next ?

On 6/12/2022 at 10:37 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Congrats, quite an achievement these days, many of those books are hot due to movies or TV shows. What are you onto next ?

I have two projects I am currently working on. First, I am trying to acquire at least one issue from 1938 - Present. Currently, I only need issues from 1938, 1939, and 1942. Once I get those years done, I will no longer pursue any other GA issues, excluding the following issues: Batman #9, Detective Comics #140 and #225, and Superman #53 and #76.

My second project is to obtain the first ten issues of each Marvel SA hero books. I already have FF, ASM, and DD done. For this project, I am really only interested in raw copies, and I am willing to accept low-grade issues. So, here's where I am:

Journey Into Mystery #83 - #92 (have #83)
Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1 - #10 (have #1)
Strange Tales #101 - #110 (have #101, #104, #108, and #110)
Tales of Suspense #39 - #48 (have #39)
Tales to Astonish #27, #35 - #43 (have #27 and #35)

I am currently working on Strange Tales. Although if one of the other issues were available for a good price, I would buy it if I had the funds.

On 6/13/2022 at 3:30 PM, Math Teacher said:

I have two projects I am currently working on. First, I am trying to acquire at least one issue from 1938 - Present. Currently, I only need issues from 1938, 1939, and 1942. Once I get those years done, I will no longer pursue any other GA issues, excluding the following issues: Batman #9, Detective Comics #140 and #225, and Superman #53 and #76.

My second project is to obtain the first ten issues of each Marvel SA hero books. I already have FF, ASM, and DD done. For this project, I am really only interested in raw copies, and I am willing to accept low-grade issues. So, here's where I am:

Journey Into Mystery #83 - #92 (have #83)
Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1 - #10 (have #1)
Strange Tales #101 - #110 (have #101, #104, #108, and #110)
Tales of Suspense #39 - #48 (have #39)
Tales to Astonish #27, #35 - #43 (have #27 and #35)

I am currently working on Strange Tales. Although if one of the other issues were available for a good price, I would buy it if I had the funds.

Such a cool project! I was kind of considering something along those lines as well (though I'm not nearly as ambitious as you) -after I get my Showcase issues and 4 more golden age Flash. I was thinking of picking up a book or two from several titles, and yes even Marvels just to have some of each represented in my collection.

On 6/13/2022 at 4:30 PM, Math Teacher said:

I snagged a Superman #76 late last year (CGC 5.5).  One of my most exciting moments in collecting (Action #252 and Flash #123 are the two others that immediately come to mind).  I have been staying away from golden age stuff in general but lately have thought about acquiring one or two early Superman issues.  

On 6/14/2022 at 5:03 PM, PDS74 said:

I snagged a Superman #76 late last year (CGC 5.5).  One of my most exciting moments in collecting (Action #252 and Flash #123 are the two others that immediately come to mind).  I have been staying away from golden age stuff in general but lately have thought about acquiring one or two early Superman issues.  

It would be really cool to own a Golden Age Superman (its on my comic book bucket list)....but there is one Superman comic we Flash fans just have to have and that is Superman 199. Still dreaming of getting that one one day:cloud9:

On 6/16/2022 at 10:57 PM, flashlites said:

It would be really cool to own a Golden Age Superman (its on my comic book bucket list)....but there is one Superman comic we Flash fans just have to have and that is Superman 199. Still dreaming of getting that one one day:cloud9:

Don’t forget this little Superman/Flash gem.

B7D551FD-17B2-49E3-ABC7-FB56D7C173CC.jpeg