• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,852 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2022 at 10:32 PM, alexgross.com said:

hey flash lovers, my 7 year old loves flash and i want to get a TPB that reprints the first SA flash stories. i got the SHOWCASE presents volume 1 only to find that it's in black and white, disappointingly. 

anyone know what is the full color version of that, kind of like the marvel omnibus stuff (though it does not have to be gigantic)?

Search for Flash Archives. They are in full color.  There are about 7 volumes for the Silver Age Flash. I currently have the Golden age Flash volume 2.

scan0488.jpg

On 4/30/2022 at 10:32 PM, alexgross.com said:

hey flash lovers, my 7 year old loves flash and i want to get a TPB that reprints the first SA flash stories. i got the SHOWCASE presents volume 1 only to find that it's in black and white, disappointingly. 

anyone know what is the full color version of that, kind of like the marvel omnibus stuff (though it does not have to be gigantic)?

" The Flash The Silver Age Vol 1" Is the best one I have found. It includes SC4,8,13 and 14 and all the way up to Flash #116.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:37 PM, flashlites said:

" The Flash The Silver Age Vol 1" Is the best one I have found. It includes SC4,8,13 and 14 and all the way up to Flash #116.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:36 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Search for Flash Archives. They are in full color.  There are about 7 volumes for the Silver Age Flash. I currently have the Golden age Flash volume 2.

scan0488.jpg

I don't even have these GA volumes yet! Better put those on my list for the Flash library!

On 5/2/2022 at 8:05 PM, alexgross.com said:

@flashlitesand @frozentundraguy thanks for the tips. i wrote this before but it vanished like much of the boards from yesterday. i bought the SA vol1 omnibus yesterday and we already started it. much appreciate your help! 

Enjoy! You gotta teach the kids the classics! I love it that he loves the Flash! And when my son went the way of Marvel, I made sure he knew the difference between a Ditko Spider-Man and a Romita Spider-Man.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:51 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Love Neal Adams! Its hard to believe he's gone. I wish he'd done more Flash covers. 

I've mentioned this movie here before I think but its worth mentioning it again. Great interview clips with Neal and Julie and others. I come back to it again and again. Just an all around great show. I love what both Neal and Julie say in here. Not to mention a great telling of how the Flash was created. Here's the trailer for you to enjoy on youtube.

Edited by flashlites

On 5/5/2022 at 5:25 PM, Jaylam said:

Ok FYI, this is going up on a ComicLink auction later this month, which of you Flash fans are going for it? Highest graded, one of three. (How is it even possible there is one, let alone three in this grade, wow!) Any speculation on the $$$ it will bring?

00008772398000113974657015.jpg

Wow! I love this issue! One of my personal top 5 Flash covers of all time. All I can do is dream about this copy though. Thanks for sharing!

On 5/6/2022 at 9:08 AM, flashlites said:

On 5/6/2022 at 9:08 AM, flashlites said:

Wow! I love this issue! One of my personal top 5 Flash covers of all time. All I can do is dream about this copy though. Thanks for sharing!

I have no idea. It is a minor key as first GL crossover in Flash (although Green lantern comic had a cross over earlier) but must be one of the earliest 9.8s out there. One for the very serious Flash collector. Also a 9.4 Flash 123 coming up. Plenty to enter the bank accounts.

Sometimes I hate going to ComicLink :pullhair: Seeing all the books I can never have. Tons of Golden Age Flash too! Many, many very nice books - looked like a dozen 105's. A very nice #86 (first Joe Kubert Flash cover) I think I saw 3 Flash #1's???? an ABSOLUTELY Beautiful #10 (my fav GA Flash cover) 3 or 4 Showcase #4's. It was ridiculous! I had to shut it down!

On 5/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, flashlites said:

I had to shut it down!

Know the feeling well. Similar to walking around NYCC and seeing all the original art work. It is fantastic until you come across something that is right in your interest area and will never be able to afford. Still, I do love the photos of those very hi-grade early books

Recently I was talking with a fellow boardie about the importance of SC4 and comparing it to Action Comics #1. Where as Action 1 created the genre and the beginning of the Golden Age of heroes, SC4 marks the day the heroes made a come back and the beginning of the Silver Age. The two most important comics in the history of comics. If either of these experiments had failed we would not be talking about comics today. To me SC4 stands just as tall as Action1. What are your thoughts?

On 5/6/2022 at 10:35 AM, flashlites said:

Recently I was talking with a fellow boardie about the importance of SC4 and comparing it to Action Comics #1. Where as Action 1 created the genre and the beginning of the Golden Age of heroes, SC4 marks the day the heroes made a come back and the beginning of the Silver Age. The two most important comics in the history of comics. If either of these experiments had failed we would not be talking about comics today. To me SC4 stands just as tall as Action1. What are your thoughts?

Well, without Action #1, there probably would not have been SC #4. However, in a different part of the multi-verse, something different may have happened, but since we are stuck in this reality, this is what we have to go with. :wink:

There's this Flash #139 up on Heritage Auctions this week. It's already been bid up to about $400 over the last 4 or 5 auction sales that I could find in grade and there's still 2 days left. Sheesh, you just can't touch anything at decent price anymore.

528177548_flash139heritage.thumb.jpeg.757bc509257864ce0f3b3f5c2cff13e0.jpeg

Edited by Jaylam

On 5/6/2022 at 3:06 PM, Jaylam said:

There's this Flash #139 up on Heritage Auctions this week. It's already been bid up to about $400 over the last 4 or 5 auction sales that I could find in grade and there's still 2 days left. Sheesh, you just can't touch anything at decent price anymore.

Very pretty copy! :cloud9:

On 5/6/2022 at 1:06 PM, Jaylam said:

This book is from the Truckee Meadows collection, which is discussed here...

I think most (if not all) of the books from that collection so far have white pages, which is crazy...