• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,856 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2022 at 9:12 PM, Jaylam said:

If it was higher grade it might have gotten a green "Qualified" label for that detached cover. I'm not sure what the break off is to still get a blue label. I had a 6.5 blue label with a cover detachment, but also had a 9.2 with the same problem and it got the green label.

How does that qualified label stuff work? I guess I don't really understand. Would this copy get an 8.5 Green label? Do we get a say if our book gets a 7.0 blue vs an 8.5 green. Or does CGC make that call?

DC had a problem with the stamping pinching the mag and popping a staple. The comic could be over 9.0 but still have this popped staple. The cover was often still attached but the staple had torn through the cover by being too tight. Have a 174 that would be 9.2-9.4 with the top staple popped. (plus a 121 at around 9.2 and ... )

In 1964 there was an article in I think in Time or the NY papers on "people paying crazy money for old comics " - thinking early Action etc. As soon as that article spread some fans started to buy and keep multiple copies. 1964 is first year of X-men Daredevil and the other marvel titles were still in their infancy. Finding a VF DC before 64 is a lot harder than a VF Marvel or  VF late 60s DC

On 5/11/2022 at 1:29 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

DC had a problem with the stamping pinching the mag and popping a staple. The comic could be over 9.0 but still have this popped staple. The cover was often still attached but the staple had torn through the cover by being too tight. Have a 174 that would be 9.2-9.4 with the top staple popped. (plus a 121 at around 9.2 and ... )

Very interesting Terry. Thanks for sharing. There is a pressure adjustment on those 'stitching' machines , if it were turned up too high I've seen it happen with brochures back in the days when I worked in the print shops. It would be fun to visit one of those comic print shops and watch it all get done.:cloud9:  

Got back my #151 that I picked up from Heritage last December. I thought this was a nicer copy than the #140 that got a 9.4 recently, however, I was concerned how a little 1/16" tear and a barely there tiny crease on the bottom edge of the back cover would affect it. Well, that must be what dinged its grade as that is the only thing mentioned in the grader notes. Too bad, as it looks like a near perfect copy other than that.

1313285898_flash151front_edited.jpg.137e99e08eff6b2dd1ef4d384b7888f6.jpg

1288572041_flash152backcover_edited.jpg.6675f9b9ba94667716839422a2c313ce.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

On 5/16/2022 at 8:08 AM, Jaylam said:

Got back my #151 that I picked up from Heritage last December. I thought this was a nicer copy than the #140 that got a 9.4 recently, however, I was concerned how a little 1/16" tear and a barely there tiny crease on the bottom edge of the back cover would affect it. Well, that must be what dinged its grade as that is the only thing mentioned in the grader notes. Too bad, as it looks like a near perfect copy other than that.

1313285898_flash151front_edited.jpg.137e99e08eff6b2dd1ef4d384b7888f6.jpg

1288572041_flash152backcover_edited.jpg.6675f9b9ba94667716839422a2c313ce.jpg

It's tough! But you have an extremely nice copy there! Thanks for sharing! I wish they would put more notes but then again I wouldn't want to slow up the process any. From the grading contest I can tell you there was a very nice book there, just beautiful, but it did have a very small tear like yours. Everything else was outstanding- I wouldn't give it a 9.6 or a 9.8 but I graded it at 9.4--it came back from CGC as 9.0. So I got 2 points for that book. (points are bad for the grading contests)

How many of us Flash collectors have any or all of the original 4 Showcase appearances? I have just the one SC #13. I Will share my beloved battered and torn copy later tonight. But we really haven't done a thorough discussion of these very important comics.  

Edited by flashlites

On 5/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, flashlites said:

How many of us Flash collectors have any or all of the original 4 Showcase appearances? I have just the one SC #13. I Will share my beloved battered and torn copy later tonight. But we really haven't done a thorough discussion of these very important comics.  

Sorry to say, I don't own any of the Showcase Flash books.

When I set out to complete the run, I always imagined it 'complete' without these 4 special issues. Just 105-350 as I thought it would be nearly impossible on my budget to obtain any of these amazing books. I was surprised at the opportunity about a year and a half ago to get #13. It was affordable, not very pretty to most of you but a thing of beauty to me. And so now it seems it may be possible for a 'D' list Flash collector like me - that one day I may be able to get 3 out of the 4?:cloud9:

Edited by flashlites

On 5/22/2022 at 7:41 AM, Sam I am said:

I remember as a child first collecting comics, and always reading about how SC4 was the birth of an entire era.  It, and the other early Flash appearances were always my "one day" goals. When the day finally arrived that the books would be possible to own, I came to these boards and was able to finally realize a lifelong dream.  The other issues came shortly thereafter, but it was a lunch meeting with a boardie where I acquired F105 and SC4 that got me to the point I am today.  Roullette44 (Joey) made the comment that putting together a full Showcase run in high grade would be ridiculously tough, so that's what I set out to do.  The purchases led to many wonderful interactions with people, and helped me appreciate the hobby even more than I already had for decades. 

1269978815_SHOWCASE85_0FRONT_OW_TO_W2NDFLASH.thumb.jpg.0b8d48ec6daeb8996606dc8af41105d9.jpg1438616083_SHOWCASE137_0FRONT_OW_TO_W3RDFLASH.thumb.jpg.9e29e00b4e541f67263b86360e8d4496.jpg

SHOWCASE 14 7_5 FRONT_OFF WHITE TO WHITE.jpg

So awesome to see the three here together! Thanks for sharing Sam and for sharing your story. The boards have been amazing for me too! I never would have found the right 106, the right 110, 111, 139 for me had it not been for the boards. Also the last part of the run was kinda hard for me to find locally. But I made some friends here and was able to get those. Maybe, just maybe this summer I may get my hands on a #14, we'll see...keep your fingers crossed for me. For a collector like me with tiny pockets there has to be a combination of the right book in the right low grade, at the right time (when I have a little extra cash) and a whole bunch of luck to come together all at once to make one of these babies fall into my hands.

In my mind from all that I've gleaned from collecting this title for over 40 years now, these 4 issues saved the whole industry. Lightening struck that lab in Showcase 4, a new hero was borne and Flash came to the rescue, proving that a new kind of hero could sell comics once again. What do think of when you think of the Showcase issues? When did you buy your first Showcase issue?