• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,854 posts in this topic

Back in the 80s I was a buyer from catalogs here in Australia and I quickly realised that I got mine weeks after Americans, so when I thought the catolog was ready I would ring James Payette and go through certain books I was after. I got a SC8 (around VG/F )and SC14 (F-) there was a SC13 and  I missed it and living here in a vacuum I did not think of sending a want list as I am sure in that group there was a SC4 .

It is strange how they took so long almost three years to launch the book. I guess seeing the JSA, GL, Flash, Hawkman, Seven Soldiers of Victory, Johnny Quick, Black Canary all die a slow death I think those editors did not want to personally take too many risk. Even Marvel played it coyly with SM's first appearance being number 15 AF. Stan ignored super heroes until prodded by the publisher. He had seen cap and Subbie both slowly die less than 10 years before. It really is surprising that Flash did what it did.

Of note was an auction on HA this week where a Bronze page went for more than many SA pages, $3,120

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/carmine-infantino-and-bob-smith-flash-300-story-page-24-original-art-dc-1981-/a/322221-49040.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Of note there has been a feeling among Flash collectors that if Flash was not actually on a Flash page then the price be a "B" price.

Previous Bronze record was $2,640

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/carmine-infantino-and-bob-smith-the-flash-298-story-page-13-original-art-dc-1981-/a/322132-47113.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Now both pages have something in common Rogues. Rogues that have very little art available. I think that was the reason for premiums, A) Rogues B) and rare Rogues

Hard to know. SC4 Flash 110 and Flash 123 have been hot last two years. All for different reasons. I think it will depend on the trailer. The first Riddler in SA went nuts after Riddler was found out to be in The Batman. Did not do much for Tec 27 or Batman 1#. So it may play out more for the related characters, especially if the book can be bought relativly cheap (139 is not). Say Colonel Computron (don't laugh I frankly enjoyed it and was upset when bates never let on who it was).

I am guessing that the Rebirth crossover with Batman may jump, but not sure if Flash overall will get the same carry over. Will all depend on that trailer which is probably not quite a year away. Movie due June 2023.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:22 PM, flashlites said:

What do you all think the impending Flash movie will have on the prices of Silver Age Flash? I think it got moved back again to 2023.

I would think some of the related keys will definitely spike closer to the time and will end up being called out on the hot lists you see every time a new film trailer comes out.

I still love that DC books are affordable so I’d personally prefer things to stay as they are!

On 6/1/2022 at 4:21 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

The first Riddler in SA went nuts after Riddler was found out to be in The Batman.

Unfortunately, the Riddler in The Batman did not resemble the Riddler from the 1960s. Too bad Frank Gorshin is dead. Perhaps the movie version of the Riddler was closer to the version of the Riddler in current comics. Since I haven't purchased a new issue for quite a few years, I don't know.

On 6/5/2022 at 5:33 AM, Nilo2 said:

Picked up this coverless copy of SC4 on eBay way back in 2000. I purchased it with an unverified Julius Schwartz sig. on the splash page which was later verified when I had the book slabbed by CBCS. The picture below is from prior to grading/slabbing.69929A4D-D510-421B-813A-FD2471E34ACB.thumb.jpeg.17875283942129c0bf1dc91f14362164.jpeg

That's AMAZING!!! That is absolutely worthy of the rare triple dancing bananas!!! :banana::banana::banana:

On 6/5/2022 at 10:16 PM, flashlites said:

That's AMAZING!!! That is absolutely worthy of the rare triple dancing bananas!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Thanks @flashlites! When I first bought the book, I had no idea how rare a Schwartz sig. was. I feel very lucky to have it in the PC. Now all I need is to find a loose cover!….😆

On 6/5/2022 at 9:29 PM, Nilo2 said:

Thanks @flashlites! When I first bought the book, I had no idea how rare a Schwartz sig. was. I feel very lucky to have it in the PC. Now all I need is to find a loose cover!….😆

It's priceless just the way it is! You wouldn't want a cover on it, it would hide the autograph! :cloud9:

On 6/5/2022 at 9:42 PM, flashlites said:

It's priceless just the way it is! You wouldn't want a cover on it, it would hide the autograph! :cloud9:

Incidentally, how much was that service? I have a 107 with an Infantino autograph on the splash page and I was considering that option. But then there's the dilemma of no one being able to see it once its encapsulated.

On 6/5/2022 at 10:45 PM, flashlites said:

Incidentally, how much was that service? I have a 107 with an Infantino autograph on the splash page and I was considering that option. But then there's the dilemma of no one being able to see it once its encapsulated.

@flashlites The Verified Signature service costs $20. Its an add on to the standard CBCS grading service. When I submitted my book (pre pandemic) the lead time was an extra few weeks on top of the standard. These days….

Edited by Nilo2

On 6/7/2022 at 10:26 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

It is very early, my guess, no checking is 114-120, (say 118), the art for the whole story was for sale back in 2016 to 2018. Don't know the price but as it was on the market for a while it was not cheap.

It's not quite that early of an issue. :wishluck:

It reminds me of a very early issue in which another professor was kidnapped. (those professors ...dangerous job I guess:roflmao:)  Now I will have to go back and figure out which one I was thinking of and which one this is.