• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,849 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2023 at 10:17 PM, jayhawker said:

I bought my copy over 30 years ago at my LCS.

Now that's pretty cool ! I bought mine 10 years ago.  I don't usually keep detailed enough notes, but I do create a new Excel list every year, so I can at least tell what year a given book appeared in my collection.

On 2/8/2023 at 10:13 PM, Jaylam said:

That does look better than a 7.0.

I always thought he had it slightly over graded. I checked a couple of 7.0 books in my collection and you just might be right. One looks slightly better but has a small back corner cover that's has been impacted slightly. The other 7.0 has an area of slight color loss along the spine and the top, both on the front cover, but otherwise is pretty pristine.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:08 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Bought my copy several years ago from my LCS. He normally grades conservatively, but I wonder on this book as he had it at 7.0

Scan1102.JPG

On 2/8/2023 at 8:13 PM, Jaylam said:

That does look better than a 7.0.

I totally agree...nice to have an LCS that grades conservatively!

On 2/9/2023 at 3:08 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Bought my copy several years ago from my LCS. He normally grades conservatively, but I wonder on this book as he had it at 7.0

Scan1102.JPG

I agree with others. Looks at least a 7.0 in the 7.0 -7.5 range to me. Nice book and honest LCS owner.

On 2/10/2023 at 1:08 AM, Jaylam said:

Here's my copy of #172. I looked high and low to get a high-grade copy as they are almost impossible to find. I won this one on ComicConnect back in 2014. According to the census, there are only 7 copies graded higher and it may be less than that if some have been re-submitted. There is a single copy graded at 9.6 and none higher. Not an overly pricey book but not many available as the census shows only 65 total in Universal grade. 

786661787_flash172_edited_edited.jpg.f22951aba437380dd7a9fd2b28c9681c.jpg

Very nice and thanks for sharing. Yeah any SA Flash at 9.2 is very rare.

On 2/16/2023 at 9:57 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Picked up this copy of Flash #108 last September. Sent it in to be graded on February 2nd, and it arrived back today. Only two weeks for Economy fast track, so I was impressed with the turn around time.

Flash_108A.JPG

:banana::banana::banana:---Wow so you are saying 2 weeks for fast track? That's awesome! How much extra is it for fast track? I have not checked in a long time. I love that 108! One of my favorite early Flash covers! Is it because of the purple? In the 1970's it was the lowest # I could find and afford in my little corner of Southwest America. So I would gaze at it lovingly for many hours and dream and think...there are only 3 other Flash issues before this one. I was about 12 years old at the time. I had seen a 107 so I knew what that one looked like, but alas I could not afford to get it from the paperback book exchange (believe it was about 18-20$ for a 107 back in those days?) But I had not even seen a 106 or a 105 at that point. I remember kind of daydreaming and trying to imagine what was in those other issues, who made the cover and so on. Very fond memories.

Edited by flashlites

On 2/17/2023 at 5:39 AM, flashlites said:

:banana::banana::banana:---Wow so you are saying 2 weeks for fast track? That's awesome! How much extra is it for fast track? I have not checked in a long time. I love that 108! One of my favorite early Flash covers! Is it because of the purple? In the 1970's it was the lowest # I could find and afford in my little corner of Southwest America. So I would gaze at it lovingly for many hours and dream and think...there are only 3 other Flash issues before this one. I was about 12 years old at the time. I had seen a 107 so I knew what that one looked like, but alas I could not afford to get it from the paperback book exchange (believe it was about 18-20$ for a 107 back in those days?) But I had not even seen a 106 or a 105 at that point. I remember kind of daydreaming and trying to imagine what was in those other issues, who made the cover and so on. Very fond memories.

It's an extra $15 to fast track a submission with economy. Issue #108 has been my favorite Flash issue for as long as I can remember. However there are many great covers in the series to choose from.  (thumbsu

On 2/17/2023 at 2:57 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Picked up this copy of Flash #108 last September. Sent it in to be graded on February 2nd, and it arrived back today. Only two weeks for Economy fast track, so I was impressed with the turn around time.

Flash_108A.JPG

wow white pages !!!!

If I may ask here, how is Flash Silver and Bronze doing these days?  My wife collected Flash for years but now wants to cash out and move onto Dell & Goldkey and is 27 issues from a complete run of Flash. A few issues in the teens, twenty's and thirty's, and a straight run from 139-350.  I know its DC and the only keys she has is 1st EM and Reverse Flash, are issues from the 70s and 80s just common and cheap?  Thanks!

Edited by StingerMcK

On 2/23/2023 at 9:22 AM, StingerMcK said:

If I may ask here, how is Flash Silver and Bronze doing these days?  My wife collected Flash for years but now wants to cash out and move onto Dell & Goldkey and is 27 issues from a complete run of Flash. A few issues in the teens, twenty's and thirty's, and a straight run from 139-350.  I know its DC and the only keys she has is 1st EM and Reverse Flash, are issues from the 70s and 80s just common and cheap?  Thanks!

Well, like everything, depends for the condition. Super-high-grade copies of #323 can go for a few hundred dollars, and #139 is pretty strong in most cases with even mid-grade copies going for several hundred dollars. Are any of them graded or are they all raw?

On 2/23/2023 at 12:43 PM, Jaylam said:

Well, like everything, depends for the condition. Super-high-grade copies of #323 can go for a few hundred dollars, and #139 is pretty strong in most cases with even mid-grade copies going for several hundred dollars. Are any of them graded or are they all raw?

All are raw.  Once the issues move passed 200 and up are all mostly high grade.  She's a high grade snob unlike me lol

Just not sure yet how to move 200+ issues without taking a bath (the time it takes to sell individually, shipping cost now, etc), since so many issues are non key.  I've talked to a couple of shops and they say they're just not a lot of Flash buyers, and the non keys will be sitting around.

I've thought maybe she should start taking them to the cons we go to, and just trade with dealers that she buys from.

Edited by StingerMcK

On 2/23/2023 at 12:50 PM, StingerMcK said:

All are raw.  Once the issues move passed 200 and up are all mostly high grade.  She's a high grade snob unlike me lol

Just not sure yet how to move 200+ issues without taking a bath (the time it takes to sell individually, shipping cost now, etc), since so many issues are non key.  I've talked to a couple of shops and they say they're just not a lot of Flash buyers, and the non keys will be sitting around.

I've thought maybe she should start taking them to the cons we go to, and just trade with dealers that she buys from.

There are some boardies on here looking for books all the time. I would not be surprised if you get some hits just by what you've posted here already. You could always try putting them up in the sales thread too. Even I might be interested in (some) the pre-200 books, but it sounds like you want to sell them all as a lot all at once.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:20 PM, Jaylam said:

There are some boardies on here looking for books all the time. I would not be surprised if you get some hits just by what you've posted here already. You could always try putting them up in the sales thread too. Even I might be interested in (some) the pre-200 books, but it sounds like you want to sell them all as a lot all at once.

Yeah I've thought about that too, selling here.  Just getting all options together and see what she wants to do.  Thanks for the input!