• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2021 at 2:22 AM, Escaflown41 said:

Which one?  :bigsmile:

One of the 9.2's came from Comic Link and the rest of the slabs all came from eBay.

Yeah sorry my bad. I was thinking of the 7.5 copy. Is the serial number 1096231007? Its o.k there's nothing to worry about.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:14 AM, Escaflown41 said:

A CGC 9.0 just sold on Heritage for $3840.  I wonder how much a 9.2 would be worth now....

One just closed out in a Clink auction at $ 4050ish ... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

So I picked up this right-in-my-wheelhouse Fine-ish copy of #8 but didn't notice the odd blobby lighter spots in the black on the right side of the cover. It's definitely not staining because the paper is undisturbed. I went looking and found a vg copy on the bay that has similar marks in a different place. So I'm assuming it's a printer roller error where something prevented full ink on those spots? 

20210719_152721.thumb.jpg.33a74c69f6dfd996b218e93e64f1d149.jpg

On 7/19/2021 at 4:31 PM, Surfing Alien said:

So I picked up this right-in-my-wheelhouse Fine-ish copy of #8 but didn't notice the odd blobby lighter spots in the black on the right side of the cover. It's definitely not staining because the paper is undisturbed. I went looking and found a vg copy on the bay that has similar marks in a different place. So I'm assuming it's a printer roller error where something prevented full ink on those spots? 

20210719_152721.thumb.jpg.33a74c69f6dfd996b218e93e64f1d149.jpg

Sometimes lint or other things will get picked up on the blanket (the part of the press that makes contact with the printing plate and transfers the image on the plate to the paper.) This can go unnoticed for many impressions before the pressman sees it. But these big splotches look like it may an ink and water issue where the ink from the ink rollers was not sticking to the plate in those particular spots? This could also go on for several impressions before the pressman notices it. Web presses can run at high speeds so there are likely many issues like this. Sooner or later it would have filled in by itself or adjustments would be made to correct the issue. Any other current or former pressmen out there to analyze this issue. (its been many, many years since my offset printing days).

Here's the ebay VG with the same type markings, I haven't seen a cgc graded one with it yet so don't know if the grade would get hammered... not a big concern because this is for a reader/collection and was not expensive, but I like to know

It's in the far upper right of the black on this one. Let me know if I should take this to the PGM section lol

20210719_153626.jpg.636739d606dd44b369937ba411584b51.jpg

Yep, its a manufacturing defect, one I'm sure the CGC has notes about in their secret files. I bet it would affect the grade like a miss-cut, probably never make it into the 8 or 9 categories. But in this condition I wouldn't tend grade down for it. Put it in the PGM and lets see what they say and let us know so we can follow along maybe learn a thing or two along the way :insane:

Edited by flashlites