• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

I really think Maurice Whitman is one of the most underrated cover artists ever. I'm glad that it seems he is getting more and more attention in the last couple of years.

Agree wholeheartedly. (thumbs u

Just about all of my favorite Fiction House covers are by Whitman.

Got a couple back from CGC today. The Planet is tied for the highest graded and the Supersnipe is the onlyu CGC graded copy.

Planet66FC.jpg

That's a great looking book and I love the colors, but after seeing some of the super high grade early Planets posted recently (by you), it surprises me that 7.5 is the highest graded for this issue.

I don't take the highest graded business too seriously. I know adamstrange has a copy that is much better than this one. He's just allergic to plastic.

I agree there are definitely better copies out there, but it just seems odd that such a popular title would have such a low "highest grade". I'll be interested to hear what some of the long time collectors say about the poor paper quality that Scrooge mentioned.

I think adamstrange posted a really nice group shot of some high number Planets before.

I really think Maurice Whitman is one of the most underrated cover artists ever. I'm glad that it seems he is getting more and more attention in the last couple of years.

FH definitely emphasized covers and published some comics with great ones by Lubbers, Zolnerowich, Eisner, Fine and Lily Renee. I am amazed at the breadth and quality of Whitman's work and I'm happy to see his art receive some recognition since his work is up there with the best of the ones I just named. Whitman is one of a handful of artists whose prime period was the Atomic Age and who never drew the GA or SA superheroes and, therefore, has been unfairly over-looked. I think it helps his reputation that his books were printed at a time when the FH colorists were better and the presses produced more consistently accurate representation of the color scheme.

FH definitely emphasized covers and published some comics with great ones by Lubbers, Zolnerowich, Eisner, Fine and Lily Renee. I am amazed at the breadth and quality of Whitman's work and I'm happy to see his art receive some recognition since his work is up there with the best of the ones I just named. Whitman is one of a handful of artists whose prime period was the Atomic Age and who never drew the GA or SA superheroes and, therefore, has been unfairly over-looked. I think it helps his reputation that his books were printed at a time when the FH colorists were better and the presses produced more consistently accurate representation of the color scheme.

That's a great point about the coloring - very true. It really makes his work pop.

I remember when we did the big GA cover contest four or five years ago, I nominated Man o' Mars 1, but I think that was the only Whitman cover nominated. I feel pretty sure if we did it again that there would be quite a few more entrys - Planet Comics 66 for sure.

Got a couple back from CGC today. The Planet is tied for the highest graded and the Supersnipe is the onlyu CGC graded copy.

Planet66FC.jpg

That's a great looking book and I love the colors, but after seeing some of the super high grade early Planets posted recently (by you), it surprises me that 7.5 is the highest graded for this issue.

I don't take the highest graded business too seriously. I know adamstrange has a copy that is much better than this one. He's just allergic to plastic.

I agree there are definitely better copies out there, but it just seems odd that such a popular title would have such a low "highest grade". I'll be interested to hear what some of the long time collectors say about the poor paper quality that Scrooge mentioned.

I think adamstrange posted a really nice group shot of some high number Planets before.

We're only 10 years into CGC grading so a lot more books that haven't been graded will eventually be graded, assuming it makes economic sense to do so. When books are cheap or demand is uncertain, you don't necessarily have much getting slabbed. I think it's also reasonable to expect that books that were thought to be scarce might not be or might not be as scarce. In the case of the Planet title, FH started doing contents that were all reprint which is an indication that they weren't selling all that way. EC and DC both published sci-fi titles but indicated they were never high volume in the 1950s.

The SA Marvels (for which a large percentage of the high grade copies have been slabbed) have resulted in a census that is different than what I and others might have predicted. If you go back and read the early issues of Comic Book Marketplace and their predictions of scarcity there are definitely some surprises.

Not sure if there were 2 different widths for the Planet 66. My copy seems to be wider than the normal Planet comic by 1/4 inch which would be subject to more edge wear.

Planet 66 is definitely the widest of the last 8 issues. I think 67 is a little extra wide and from 68 on they are 1/4 less in width than the 66. 66 is printed on with a non-glossy paper stock cover while 67 up are all nice and glossy.

I'm not allergic to plastic, I'm addicted to sniffing comic books. :cry:

I'm very happy with my copy. Planet 66 is a wonderful purple cover. And it's purple. Did I mention that it's purple? :cloud9:

We're only 10 years into CGC grading so a lot more books that haven't been graded will eventually be graded, assuming it makes economic sense to do so. When books are cheap or demand is uncertain, you don't necessarily have much getting slabbed. I think it's also reasonable to expect that books that were thought to be scarce might not be or might not be as scarce. In the case of the Planet title, FH started doing contents that were all reprint which is an indication that they weren't selling all that way. EC and DC both published sci-fi titles but indicated they were never high volume in the 1950s.

All excellent points ... but you're not telling us what you would grade your copy at :makepoint:

That's a great point about the coloring - very true. It really makes his work pop.

I remember when we did the big GA cover contest four or five years ago, I nominated Man o' Mars 1, but I think that was the only Whitman cover nominated. I feel pretty sure if we did it again that there would be quite a few more entrys - Planet Comics 66 for sure.

Over time the Planet 66 has grown on me to where it's my favorite but I dearly love the 70 and 71. Just checking GCD, it looks like some of my cover scans are being used for these issues.

All excellent points ... but you're not telling us what you would grade your copy at :makepoint:

Nice enough for me to trade for it but not so low grade that I found a better one since then. :baiting:

You tell me? (shrug)

Planet66.jpg

Is Pretty a grade?

If it is, I think it would be at least Very Pretty or VP+