• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,384 posts in this topic

Thanks, I'm very pleased with this unrestored copy

also looks unpressed. There is something special about GA books in their natural state. An excellent addition! (worship)(worship)

Agreed; that's why GA books naturally gravitate to Texas. gw.gif

Any thoughts on whether this might be a Crippen? hm

Weirdthrill_1_63981_zpsxzoabesv.jpg

I would say negatory. It may be a distributor copy, but that "D" doesn't look anything like the Crippen "D" or other markings attributable to the pedigree. My 2c

You are probably right and I had already bought it before noticing the "D," but you don't think it looks a bit like this one? (Not my book; scan stolen from the pedigree site.)

129235_zps8xleqphz.jpg

Any thoughts on whether this might be a Crippen? hm

Weirdthrill_1_63981_zpsxzoabesv.jpg

I would say negatory. It may be a distributor copy, but that "D" doesn't look anything like the Crippen "D" or other markings attributable to the pedigree. My 2c

You are probably right and I had already bought it before noticing the "D," but you don't think it looks a bit like this one? (Not my book; scan stolen from the pedigree site.)

129235_zps8xleqphz.jpg

A little, but the "D" appears more relaxed (scribbled but not jerky). Usually, the printing is small, on the left side of the cover and in pencil.

I have two raw Airboys that have been tentatively verified as "D" copies...

e9e5efdb-976c-4097-8df5-51ec87f3ac92_zps819ce44b.jpg

3dfa169b-3d67-4073-be2b-dc133cd80a5f_zpsacb8fd0f.jpg

I also have a graded copy of Phantom Lady #13 (#1) with what looks like a "W" and arrival date designation...

9cc8c10c-a344-4825-9a75-d2565a6a519f_zps53e2821e.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> What do you think? hm

Good point about the D typically being on the left. Although, there's this one.

110165_zpssudbbpxm.jpg

On the Weird Thrillers, the dark cover may have pushed him away from his normal placement. Skimming through the pedigree site, he seemed to alternate block Ds -- as on your books -- with -script Ds.

The HA archives show a Crippen copy of WT 2 with, apparently, no markings.

lf_zpsnrupiysk.jpg

Good point about the D typically being on the left. Although, there's this one.

110165_zpssudbbpxm.jpg

On the Weird Thrillers, the dark cover may have pushed him away from his normal placement. Skimming through the pedigree site, he seemed to alternate block Ds -- as on your books -- with -script Ds.

The HA archives show a Crippen copy of WT 2 with, apparently, no markings.

lf_zpsnrupiysk.jpg

Good call on the exception. (thumbs u That looks more like the typical "D" copy, ...other than the unusual location and size.

A lack of markings on the outside doesn't mean that there aren't interior markings or other "tells".

I have long thought that the markings on many pedigrees were made not by their owners, but rather the staff at the drugstore/newsstand.

They'd mark them for the future owner (a "pull list" if you will) and stack them for later pick up.

This explains (for example) why the Crippen books have different "D's", and varying placement. Those with no markings may have literally been picked off the stand when he went to pick up his regular stash.

Thoughts?

So I won this raw copy off of eBay from seller scroogenightmare for $650.00 which they swear is unrestored (as you can see from listing). Seller has 100% feedback but I'm always concerned with raw books bought online. Crossing my fingers.

24c262b1e56999d2c99b485e1f480fdb427ca502.JPG

One of my favorite later cap issues.

Have it checked over by someone. Scroogenightmare is Mark Wilson who has a reputation for shady business.

So I won this raw copy off of eBay from seller scroogenightmare for $650.00 which they swear is unrestored (as you can see from listing). Seller has 100% feedback but I'm always concerned with raw books bought online. Crossing my fingers.

Have it checked over by someone. Scroogenightmare is Mark Wilson who has a reputation for shady business.

Well lets compare notes at some point. I bought the 106 and 108 WW from him.

I can't understand why someone would want to sell a book like this ungraded?

Many of the books he sells were graded at one time and have defects not visible in the pics. He cracks them out, and boy they look nice raw.

I don't think he's selling restored as unrestored anymore, though.

Really nice book!

I must admit I have to laugh when I see these covers from an adults perspective. Is the Human Fly really going to hang around long enough to see Cap and Bucky showing up with a ladder no less? How far did they lug that ladder? Looks like at least five stories if not more. What are they leaning it against? A water tower. BOTH Cap and Bucky are climbing the ladder? How far up did Bucky think he was reasonably going to get climbing up the tower side of the ladder? "Agh! I find myself under the tower, Cap! Scootch over! I'm coming around!"

All that work only to be outdone by the Human Fly simply tipping the ladder off the tower. Since they were so easily vexed, the Human Fly is off to pour hot candle wax on his beautiful victim or attempt to blow torch her to pieces only to be interrupted by Captain Marvel Jr while fighting Captain Nazi! I'm sorry. I know they were drawn for kids by then. I just can't help analyzing some of them.

The ladder was attached to the water tower, the Human Fly merely detached it as Cap and Bucky were climbing up. :gossip:

But in general I know what you mean, WTTB!