• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Grabbed a few interesting pieced from a con in Kentucky this morning.

unnamed.jpg

:applause: I was there yesterday, congrats on the pickups

38 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

A very good day for the collection!

RsZIdZQ.jpg

I was with Jon Berk at SDCC long ago when we came upon this book (raw) at a dealer's booth. I held it in my hand first,  yet felt the yearning of Jon behind me so he ended up with it.

Big time congrat's, Jay! :applause:

21 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I noticed this ad in one of fanzines.  Sorry I missed all of those Houston cons.  I didn't visit Roys until 1977 or so.  GB Love was there but I never talked to him or even Roy.  Most of my comics were purchased from the Third Planet.

35829730741_b6f01b1563_h.jpg

I was at that show, a tallish 11 year old. Roy's shop is closed but he is still around. Third Planet is still open. The owner is an crotchety old dude who yells at kids for touching the comics. He inspired me to open a store where folks are treated with kindness. I owe him a lot.

31 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I was at that show, a tallish 11 year old. Roy's shop is closed but he is still around. Third Planet is still open. The owner is an crotchety old dude who yells at kids for touching the comics. He inspired me to open a store where folks are treated with kindness. I owe him a lot.

So the breath mints aren't the key to your success after all? 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Most...but not all.

11 hours ago, Azkaban said:

:applause: I was there yesterday, congrats on the pickups

Didn't seem to have a lot of traffic, and only 2 or 3 guys with any kind of inventory.  I suspect I got a better deal than I would have just because I was the only one in the room when I showed up.  There was a really bad accident out in front of the venue that stopped cars for several hours, unfortunately.

Edited by entalmighty1

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Sounds like the same guy that owned the place 35 years ago (he was about my age).  He yelled at me because I put the Conans back in the wrong order.  I tried to shop there while holding my 2 year old son.  It was tough to do but his was the closest shop to the Medical Center.

I went to the Hilton hotel for comic cons and a few other places for StarTrek conventions.  I traded many of my DC comics to Harold Starbuck but didn't get much.  I enjoyed the combined scifi-comics conventions and would have enjoyed going to the workshops if I had time. 

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Didn't seem to have a lot of traffic, and only 2 or 3 guys with any kind of inventory.  I suspect I got a better deal than I would have just because I was the only one in the room when I showed up.  There was a really bad accident out in front of the venue that stopped cars for several hours, unfortunately.

It wasn't very busy on Saturday either, I bet you got some real deals :applause:

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Most...but not all.

And all this time I thought it was his square jaw and high cheekbones. I'm always learning new things on these boards!

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Here's a little more interesting one.  Crime Suspenstories 22.

image_zps7yxqcqwb.jpg

All the pages could be missing from that one and I'm not sure I'd notice! :)