• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sagii said:

:news:   Someone among us here just won a Registry Set Award for completing a 'Thrilling' task. Hope there's a Thread to follow to mark the achievement :wishluck:

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

+1

23 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Can you say more about its history? I don't know the backstory, but I have seen the book here and there and wondered about it. How's the interior?

Well I'm going to do more research and would appreciate any expertise from long term collectors on this board.  

It was published by "Enwil."  Seems that they had a business "idea" of placing this Leonard Starr artwork cover over remaindered copies and reselling them (not sure of legality of this - or if Enwil was somehow connected with comic distributors).  Books included were as diverse as:

• BATMAN 61 
  • SUPERMAN 110
  • WOMAN OUTLAWS
  • CLAIRE VOYANT 1
  • YOUNG LOVE
  • CRIME DOES NOT PAY
  • DIARY LOVES
  • GI JOE 51
  • LOVE CONFESSIONS
  • LOVE LETTERS 21

Seems most common are:

• SABU
  • DOROTHY LAMOUR

The Dorothy Lamour and Sabu seem to have been unpublished first release issues, perhaps picked up by Enwil for a song as the regular series were being retired?

Dorothy Lamour herself was one of the top five pin ups of the day, associated with "Road to" series of movies playing straight person to Bing Crosby and Bob Hope but also remembered as "Ulah" in The Jungle Princess (1936).

Screenshot-4.pngScreenshot-5.png

Edited by path4play

2 hours ago, mustang33guy said:

Posted this in the War thread as well but also thought here would be appropriate, love me some high grade Wings Comics! :)

IMG_6238.JPG

IMG_6239.JPG

Nice and the insides have some fantastic art on those pages 

57 minutes ago, path4play said:

Well I'm going to do more research and would appreciate any expertise from long term collectors on this board.  

It was published by "Enwil."  Seems that they had a business "idea" of placing this Leonard Starr artwork cover over remaindered copies and reselling them (not sure of legality of this - or if Enwil was somehow connected with comic distributors).  Books included were as diverse as:

• BATMAN 61 
  • SUPERMAN 110
  • WOMAN OUTLAWS
  • CLAIRE VOYANT 1
  • YOUNG LOVE
  • CRIME DOES NOT PAY
  • DIARY LOVES
  • GI JOE 51
  • LOVE CONFESSIONS
  • LOVE LETTERS 21

Seems most common are:

• SABU
  • DOROTHY LAMOUR

The Dorothy Lamour and Sabu seem to have been unpublished first release issues, perhaps picked up by Enwil for a song as the regular series were being retired?

Dorothy Lamour herself was one of the top five pin ups of the day, associated with "Road to" series of movies playing straight person to Bing Crosby and Bob Hope but also remembered as "Ulah" in The Jungle Princess (1936).

Screenshot-4.pngScreenshot-5.png

Okay, Enwil cover/remaindered comics -- similar to Blazing Comics #5&6, also Enwil. Must have something to do with how they wound down their business as they went out? Some distributor just made use of the covers to make and ship product??? (shrug)

My first real exposure to Whiz Comics no. 2(1) was via DC's Famous First Editions treasury reprint. Through it, I was introduced to a slew of new characters, including Lance O'Casey. It was years before I could afford a bonafide Captain Marvel or Spy Smasher, as they were already out of the reach of kids who cut grass for pocket change. :preach:

35294975.715b1ea7.800.jpg

On 7/10/2017 at 9:42 PM, Norrin's lawyer said:

I got the 6 in the mail today, and it matches up nicely with my 2!!!   Thanks to a super cool boardie for making my collection very happy.   :smile:  :whee:

MM 2.jpg

Mystery Men 6.jpg

Great stuff! Wish I could use your lawyer to find me some awesome books! :insane:(thumbsu

On 7/11/2017 at 9:16 PM, MustEatBrains said:

Got a neat little package in the mail today.... Oh so Fine!

Hit4.jpeg

Now that's what I call multi-tasking, that Neon! Left hand body grab, left foot roundhouse kick, and right hand zapper, all the while keeping cool concentration on the parachute tank. Defying the laws of physics. Such a classic Lou Fine cover!

On 7/12/2017 at 5:43 PM, Comics181 said:

My first golden age comic

IMG_2329.thumb.JPG.61ce1fca450ff0adf770869faaea2f9a.JPG

On 7/12/2017 at 5:50 PM, comicjack said:

It won't be your last

Yep. Welcome to the rabbit hole! Easy to fall into, nearly impossible to get out of! There are very few who have survived to tell that tale.

19 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Okay, Enwil cover/remaindered comics -- similar to Blazing Comics #5&6, also Enwil. Must have something to do with how they wound down their business as they went out? Some distributor just made use of the covers to make and ship product??? (shrug)

Historic Finding: Dorothy Lamour with Mopsy comic artist Gladys Parker.

Dorothy-Lamour-isn%E2%80%99t-dressed-for

20 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Incredibly cool! Was Lamour her model for Mopsy?

I think Glady Parker was a model for Mopsy.

https://www.comics.org/issue/270950/cover/4/

15 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Maybe she was drawing herself. I certainly see the resemblance.

Yes, Mopsy I believe was in resemblance of herself.  Gladys Parker was also a fashion designer, and I believe the connection was that she was the costume designer for the movie that was starring Dorothy Lamour.

Edited by path4play

I noticed this ad in one of fanzines.  Sorry I missed all of those Houston cons.  I didn't visit Roys until 1977 or so.  GB Love was there but I never talked to him or even Roy.  Most of my comics were purchased from the Third Planet.

35829730741_b6f01b1563_h.jpg