• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I remember their covers as being more of the dreaded rubber band as weapon type. lol

dicktracy47.jpg

And it looks like when they are through with the rubber band and the garden tool, they are going to have a pillow fight! :o

I remember their covers as being more of the dreaded rubber band as weapon type. lol

dicktracy47.jpg

And it looks like when they are through with the rubber band and the garden tool, they are going to have a pillow fight! :o

Hey! You could take an eye out with one of those rubberbands.

As Mrs. Tracy always said, "It's all in good fun until someone gets a bullet through the head."

I don't comment much because I don't like the clutter the thread but I do enjoy your posts, Scrooge, as well as, of course, BZs.

Please comment, we can use the clutter. lol

Scrooge, BB, and the rest of us who post this nonsense would love to receive some feedback. :sumo:meh

My only feedback to you, Scrooge, and BB-gun are heartfelt thanks for your generosity. You three have created the absolute pinnacle that a forum can hope for. I can't be the only one who stops here every day to see what's been posted, what's been said, and walk away satisfied, and enlarged somehow. I caught this thread at it's inception, and thought it was singly the most important moment I ever witnessed on the internet, with 9/11 being an glaring and sad exception, but every day I became absolutely engrossed by it, never bored, and always expectant. Thanks, thanks, thanks to all three of you. Your good spirit, humor, and kind hearts are apparent.

Peace.

My trusty Half-Price book had this 1973 collection of Bringing Up Father, one of those strips in another thread we've mentioned is probably on the verge of being forgotten. Yet, for how deceptively simple the art appears to be, there are layers of complexity to it, if only for the attention to details in the backgrounds.

I agree.

As Maurice Horn noted in his entry for this strip in The World Encyclopedia of Comics:

The luxurious setting of the action, an astounding mixture of rococo architecture, Art Nouveau furnishings and weird shaped curios form the backdrop for this battle of the sexes.

And speaking of the sexes, he never shied from drawing the kinder gentler sex under its best light. One strip will stretch your screen, sorry -

McManus also did the Snookums strip at the top of each page. His work became more ornate with the years. I have a magazine article which featured him on the cover. He looked a lot like his famous Jiggs character.

bb

2530058792_7931acff37_b.jpg

While searching through my stack of Sunday pages, I found this Superman page that made me a little sad. From June 10, 1951 which brought back memories of 9/11.

bb

2529242449_9528e67fd3_b.jpg

Wasn'tthere a B-17 that crashed into the Empire State building back in the '30's?

McManus also did the Snookums strip at the top of each page. His work became more ornate with the years. I have a magazine article which featured him on the cover. He looked a lot like his famous Jiggs character.

That's interesting. The book I have has these photos that source the inspiration for the characters. No mention is made of who inspired Maggie ... I guess no one would be proud of that!

59095-BringingUpFather-Inspirations.jpg.d30420aed57670fdaec0fb2984730fe3.jpg

Maybe I need more sleep but this couple on the right of that McManus page you posted positively looked Barksian in their facial features to me. Did Barks ever mention McManus as an influence? I doubt it but the similarity here struck me ... could just be coincidence.

59107-McManus-BarksianCouple.jpg.41f6a2ac1a2aaad4363d5ceb597fc80f.jpg

Maybe I need more sleep but this couple on the right of that McManus page you posted positively looked Barksian in their facial features to me. Did Barks ever mention McManus as an influence? I doubt it but the similarity here struck me ... could just be coincidence.

Barks (who was an aspiring cartoonist at the time) moved to San Francisco in 1918 when Bringing Up Father was a star feature in the Hearst Syndicate Sunday sections, so it seems feasible that the strip might have influenced him.

An ad I found for the 1986 book "Jiggs is Back" which included commentary and analysis by comic historian Bill Blackbeard states that, "McManus...influenced, and continues to influence, comics artists in America -- he was a formative influence on Carl Barks."

Someone who owns a copy of that book will have to check it to determine if the quote is from comic scholar, Blackbeard, or a bit of salemanship by the publisher.