• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

Here was my recent reply from Metro. Tried to get an Exciting Comics 45 from them and of course no discount at all. I replied back asking why no counter offer and got no response.Thanks for contacting us and making an offer! We have considered youroffer and respectfully decline, as this is a scarce book with a classiccover that sells well at asking price. Let me know if you would like thisbook or if I can help with anything else. Thanks again!Frank CwiklikMetropolis CollectiblesVisit Metropolis Collectibles at:http://www.metropoliscomics.comMetropolis Collectibles873 Broadway, Suite 201New York, NY 10003212 260 4147 x 10 or(800) 229-6387 x10> Title: EXCITING COMICS> Issue: 45> Grade: VG/F: 5.0> Comments:

Schomburg robot cvr> Url: http://metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=76348>> List Price: $185> Discount %: 0> Discount Price: $185>> Customer Offer: $125.00

Here was my recent reply from Metro. Tried to get an Exciting Comics 45 from them and of course no discount at all. I replied back asking why no counter offer and got no response.Thanks for contacting us and making an offer! We have considered youroffer and respectfully decline, as this is a scarce book with a classiccover that sells well at asking price. Let me know if you would like thisbook or if I can help with anything else. Thanks again!Frank CwiklikMetropolis CollectiblesVisit Metropolis Collectibles at:http://www.metropoliscomics.comMetropolis Collectibles873 Broadway, Suite 201New York, NY 10003212 260 4147 x 10 or(800) 229-6387 x10> Title: EXCITING COMICS> Issue: 45> Grade: VG/F: 5.0> Comments:

Schomburg robot cvr> Url: http://metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=76348>> List Price: $185> Discount %: 0> Discount Price: $185>> Customer Offer: $125.00

To be fair, you offered 2/3 of the asking price. At that point I wouldn't make a counter offer either. In most situations you can't expect a dealer to reduce an asking price more than 10% (sure there are exceptions). Even if they met you halfway, you're still way off. They might think that's just unreasonable and a situation that's unlikely to end with either party happy, so just nip it in the bud.

I made an offer on a pretty good book that was a little less than 15% off and it was accepted. No problems. On the other hand, if my offer was 40% off, I don't think I would have gotten the same result.

GPA on Exciting #45 in 6.0 is $263. $125 on a 5.0 seems very low. Did $175 seem unreasonable?

The book was available for sale. It was priced fairly. Why didn't you buy it?

Here is a question:

Would it be fair for dealers to start threads on these boards talking about ultra-cheap collectors who only want to buy books wholesale? Of course not. That would be tasteless.

To be fair, you offered 2/3 of the asking price. At that point I wouldn't make a counter offer either. In most situations you can't expect a dealer to reduce an asking price more than 10% (sure there are exceptions). Even if they met you halfway, you're still way off. They might think that's just unreasonable and a situation that's unlikely to end with either party happy, so just nip it in the bud.
I agree. You might've had a shot at $150, but not at $125.

+1

I just wish it didn't take Metro so long to respond to offers. I recently made a 1K offer on a book they're offering for $1175, and it looks like I'll probably find another copy before I get a response.

In comparison, I do like the way ComicLink and eBay both specify timetables for responding to offers...48 hours I think . Sets expectations for the potential buyer and gives the seller time to consider the offer appropriately. In my experience, Frank (Metro) is usually very good at responding to offers...it's the "Click to Inquire" responses that take longer.

Nevertheless, I consider Metro's "Make an Offer" and "Click to Inquire" as valuable tools for guaging demand and price thresholds for a particular book. Pretty astute from a business standpoint. :cool:

Would it be fair for dealers to start threads on these boards talking about ultra-cheap collectors who only want to buy books wholesale? Of course not. That would be tasteless.

There's nothing wrong with ultra-cheap collectors, is there? :shy: We have to deal with rejection ... a lot :sumo:

So, at a con (not online), what is a reasonable % discount to expect from a dealer on a single non-hot / over-guide book? The 10% mentioned above seems too low for that kind of book. I think the discount on that starts at 15% and up? :popcorn:

I made an offer on a pretty good book that was a little less than 15% off and it was accepted. No problems. On the other hand, if my offer was 40% off, I don't think I would have gotten the same result.

GPA on Exciting #45 in 6.0 is $263. $125 on a 5.0 seems very low. Did $175 seem unreasonable?

Here is a question:

Actually, I think that would be fine for them to do. It would also be funny.

So, at a con (not online), what is a reasonable % discount to expect from a dealer on a single non-hot / over-guide book?

I don't talk to dealers who have the NM OS price on their VG books. This limits my discussions to one or 2 dealers at the typical con. :P

So, at a con (not online), what is a reasonable % discount to expect from a dealer on a single non-hot / over-guide book? The 10% mentioned above seems too low for that kind of book. I think the discount on that starts at 15% and up? :popcorn:

I would hope any dealer that is actually interested in making sales has taking those factors into consideration and priced accordingly. Not every dealer just opens up the guide and starts slapping stickers on it, they should be pricing to market/saleability

Just have to put my 2c in

I've been collecting GA and SA comics for almost 30 years.

And the only two major 'playas' I've ever bought anything from are Gene Carpenter, who is a very good friend, and Richard Evans. I bought some of Richard's correctly graded and priced half-off silver age at WWPhilly a few years ago. And back in the 80s I did a lot of business with James Payette. OK...three.

Please excuse me if somebody on the boards that I've bought from considers themself a 'playa', :sorry: No offense should be taken. lol

I've sold some books to a few of them over the years, and some of them do pay very good prices. Gene, Richard, Harley, Goldman, Nathan, and Beerbohm to name but a few.

But that said, If you don't like the grade and price and more importantly the way you are treated, move on ....you'll come across it eventually.

Especially in this....the internet age.

Gene Carpenter may very well be the friendliest dealer in the business. I love talking to him.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree 100%. Gene is great to talk to. He really knows his stuff, too!

Indeed he does. I had him over to my house recently. Great guy. Gene is one of the few reasons why I bother to go over to the Tysons Corner, VA show every few months.

Here is a question:

I didn't buy it because I didn't want to pay there asking price. lol

Here's a question for you.

Are you the Metro Police? :makepoint:

#1 I didn't start this thread. I thought I would share my experience with everyone.

#2 This is a raw book. This is not a graded book so GPA may or may not apply according to how well Metro graded it? They say it is a 5.0. Book is around $147. At 4.0 book is around $118. I offer $125. Yes I know before the flamers :flamed: come out, that this is an over-guide book.

#3 They allow you to make an offer. I made an offer. I would expect some kind of counteroffer (other than no discount).

I am not bashing Metro. I am just sharing my experience. (shrug):sumo:

Dan,Wasn't expecting them to discount it too much but you never know. I thought if they would come down to $150-$160 then maybe a deal. Free shipping maybe :whistle:

That is the beauty of a counter-offer. You guys maybe right. This was my first encounter with Metro. Either way the book is no longer there so congrats to whomever got it. Maybe I made a sale for them. :D

Well, one thing this thread has accomplished is that its made me reconsider making an offer on a fairly pricey (for me, anyways) book from the Metro site.

Having read this thread, it seems that the most I can hope for is free shipping...if thats the case, why bother?

I have to say that I agree with this. I try to keep my bigger (at least to me their big) purchases somewhat quiet, and instead try to buy some things off of clink or ebay. In the last cc auction, I was out of town but put in a bid and won a book. I didnt' have access to my email, so the auction ended on a Sunday I believe (could have been a Saturday tho), and by Wednesday I get home, jump on the computer and am all ready to pay for the book. And I've received 2 emails thus far (not out of the ordinary since I hadn't paid for the book) but when I try paying (again only 3 days after auctions end, unless it was Sat, then its the 4th day) I get an email stating that I can no longer pay for the book, as the "seller" reconsidered.

Yup... they'll never get a dime from me, and this past year I've spent about plenty of dimes on funny books.

I get an email stating that I can no longer pay for the book, as the "seller" reconsidered.

Now THAT is just plain wrong!

If it's a no reserve auction the seller does not get an option to change their mind. Sounds like he was unsatisfied with the amount & just decided to walk away. (tsk)

Dan,

Wasn't expecting them to discount it too much but you never know. I thought if they would come down to $150-$160 then maybe a deal. Free shipping maybe :whistle:

I understand that. I think you take a calculated risk there. I've been on the selling end of negotiations like that and if the offer is too far off from where I'm willing to go I assume it's unlikely that we'll both be able to find a meeting point and just decline without a counter-offer.

I'm not saying that's what Metropolis did, but I would imagine if you had sent an email asking for the equivalent of free shipping that would have been more effective.

Well, one thing this thread has accomplished is that its made me reconsider making an offer on a fairly pricey (for me, anyways) book from the Metro site.

Having read this thread, it seems that the most I can hope for is free shipping...if thats the case, why bother?

I have to say that I agree with this. I try to keep my bigger (at least to me their big) purchases somewhat quiet, and instead try to buy some things off of clink or ebay. In the last cc auction, I was out of town but put in a bid and won a book. I didnt' have access to my email, so the auction ended on a Sunday I believe (could have been a Saturday tho), and by Wednesday I get home, jump on the computer and am all ready to pay for the book. And I've received 2 emails thus far (not out of the ordinary since I hadn't paid for the book) but when I try paying (again only 3 days after auctions end, unless it was Sat, then its the 4th day) I get an email stating that I can no longer pay for the book, as the "seller" reconsidered.

Yup... they'll never get a dime from me, and this past year I've spent about plenty of dimes on funny books.

Wow. Would someone from comicconnect like to weigh in on this?

Wow. Would someone from comicconnect like to weigh in on this?

We have looked into this matter and here is what we have found. The book in question was a high grade Strange Tales #135 which was sold in an auction that ended the evening of 12/14. The high bidder "Cujobyte" had in fact had placed his winning bid near the end of the auction of the evening of 12/14. Within 1 minute after the close of this lot, an automated email went out requesting that the bidder check out on the auction lot. After 2 days, the system sends a checkout email reminder each day a buyer neglects to provide payment and shipping info for an item they purchased.

It is now 12/22, 8 days after the auction's close. We have yet to hear any word from the "Cujobyte". No returns emails and no phone calls. We called the phone given at the time the account was opened and found that the number was a non-working phone number. Out of the 100 or so bidders who won items in this auction, the only 2 individuals who failed to respond to checkout requests were from Albuquerque, NM which made us suspect that both bidders were bogus. Both accounts were closed that morning and both invoices were voided. It is important to note that "Cujobyte" was a buyer with absolutely no purchase history with us. We really did feel that the account was bogus and had no reason to believe otherwise.

We received an email from "Cujobye" approx. 6 hours later that day (12/22). He stated that he was having trouble logging into his comicconnect account. We sent his the following email in return:

"We need a valid phone number on file to reopen your closed account. Your billing and shipping address will also need to match the credit card on file.

The item has already been relisted at the original asking price. If your account is reopened, you would have to submit a new offer to the seller."

Stated in the original post is the statement that "the seller reconsidered". Not true. We told him why we closed his account and voided the invoice. We even gave him a path to re-open his account in order to purchase the book. And told him that the book was re-listed on the site. In fact, the book was listed for another 3 weeks before it finally sold.

The have no evidence that "Cujobyte" made any further to re-open his account. In fact, the closed account still has the original non-working phone number.