• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My White Mountain Quest

570 posts in this topic

Looks to me that someone tried to "wash off" the "64" under the issue number. hm

Probably a result of the entire cover being cleaned. hm

Bob: Really...you think that is a possibility? or would a good heat pressing cause the same sort of thing?

Jim

I honestly don't know much about restoration and manipulation techniques, Jim. I think it's a reasonable speculation, however, that with the ink spread on that WM arrival date, and the white cover (the most common subjected to cleaning), a cleaning of some kind seems plausible. Alternatively, perhaps the humidity used in cover pressing may be responsible. (shrug)

Ah I see. Well it is a pretty book and I do like the Loki/Strange cover portion, the Beatle is well the Beatle. Very tempting book, tied with another at the top of the census and a pedigree copy from 1965 so I think its going to spike upwards with a few snipes. Tough call Jim, I'm betting your going to chase this one down but with all the great GA stuff currently on the market it must be a hard decision to make. How/where would this issue rank in your WM collection?

Looks to me that someone tried to "wash off" the "64" under the issue number. hm

Probably a result of the entire cover being cleaned. hm

Bob: Really...you think that is a possibility? or would a good heat pressing cause the same sort of thing?

Jim

I honestly don't know much about restoration and manipulation techniques, Jim. I think it's a reasonable speculation, however, that with the ink spread on that WM arrival date, and the white cover (the most common subjected to cleaning), a cleaning of some kind seems plausible. Alternatively, perhaps the humidity used in cover pressing may be responsible. (shrug)

This is pretty typical on WMs and I know that from owning quite a few pre-hero Marvels, though it does happen on other eariler issues even from other companies. It's almost certainly due to the transfer of oil from the interior pages to the cover. That creates just enough moisture in the cover paper to enable a bit of bleed like you're seeing. It's no different than writing in pen on a white sheet of paper and then spilling a bit of water or oil on it -- you'll see some bleeding occur.

If I wanted the book, I personally wouldn't waste a second worrying about some type of nefarious activity. Even if this was caused by cleaning rather than by the explanation I provided above, then would I trust that CGC would have caught any cleaning and put it in a PLOD.

Ah I see. Well it is a pretty book and I do like the Loki/Strange cover portion, the Beatle is well the Beatle. Very tempting book, tied with another at the top of the census and a pedigree copy from 1965 so I think its going to spike upwards with a few snipes. Tough call Jim, I'm betting your going to chase this one down but with all the great GA stuff currently on the market it must be a hard decision to make. How/where would this issue rank in your WM collection?

Peter: It would rank at the top for the highest multiple I ever paid for a comic that books for $150 :)

As for desirability and wow factor, it would probably be at the bottom 25% of my WM collection, I do have some meaningless books doh! but I paid $40-$50 to add them to the collection. I think this is where Brians point becomes very valid that he made to me last week. He asked me how many books I own that the only reason I own it or have any desire to own it, is indeed because it was a White Mountain...this would be one of those books.

Jim

Time to bump this thread up with a new purchase

WMNickFury4.jpg

Thanks to Roy Delic, for giving me a call and telling me that Doug put this up for sale on Pedigree last Friday night. I was in Ohio for the show, and Roy called me Saturday morning to see if I had seen it.

I passed on this book last May when it was up for Auction on Heritage, as Nick isn't technically a superhero but I figured it has been awhile since I bought a WM, and it is such a classic Steranko cover, that it would look pretty good in the collection.

Jim

WMNickFury4.jpg

Thanks to Roy Delic, for giving me a call and telling me that Doug put this up for sale on Pedigree last Friday night. I was in Ohio for the show, and Roy called me Saturday morning to see if I had seen it.

I passed on this book last May when it was up for Auction on Heritage, as Nick isn't technically a superhero but I figured it has been awhile since I bought a WM, and it is such a classic Steranko cover, that it would look pretty good in the collection.

Jim

:applause:

WMNickFury4.jpg

Jim

:applause:

(worship)(worship):applause::applause: