• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My White Mountain Quest

570 posts in this topic

Ever since Jim (CGCWorld) sold his WM pedigrees this thread has not been the same. I always felt this was Jim's thread and we were all watching his WM collection expand, one book at a time, one trade at a time, it was good reading. He wheeled and dealed like no one else to get those books into Canada.....Now that he bailed out, the WM collecting world is not the same.....I feel like we lost our WM leader. Jim, please come back,, we need you, this thread needs you!

Who amongst you will take the helm and assume the new WM acquistition lead? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Who shall rise up and be our new White Mountain leader?

rantrant

Stuart: I appreciate the sentiments, and I love this thread and the people who have supported me. I love the pedigree, and I know I will sort of be associated with the pedigree like MacMan posted earlier. I'm in a happy place, and have no regrets. If I hadn't of sold already I sure as heck would have when the WM X-Men #1 went for $10k+ in total frustration. I have notes on what I was willing to pay for each book, and would have one most of them in the auction (according to their closing prices). The #1 I would have finished about $6,000 short on.

Jim

I was looking at the X-Men #1 as well and was gone at 5k. What are your reasons for not thinking it is not a 10K book? It looked like two folks ran the price up quick. Do you think they can make money on the book?

Ever since Jim (CGCWorld) sold his WM pedigrees this thread has not been the same. I always felt this was Jim's thread and we were all watching his WM collection expand, one book at a time, one trade at a time, it was good reading. He wheeled and dealed like no one else to get those books into Canada.....Now that he bailed out, the WM collecting world is not the same.....I feel like we lost our WM leader. Jim, please come back,, we need you, this thread needs you!

Who amongst you will take the helm and assume the new WM acquistition lead? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

rantrant

Perhaps if you had sold him the copies you had he wouldn't have lost heart. :baiting:

Well it's too late now, he has "abandoned" the quest! :baiting:

rantrant

Stuart: I appreciate the sentiments, and I love this thread and the people who have supported me. I love the pedigree, and I know I will sort of be associated with the pedigree like MacMan posted earlier. I'm in a happy place, and have no regrets. If I hadn't of sold already I sure as heck would have when the WM X-Men #1 went for $10k+ in total frustration. I have notes on what I was willing to pay for each book, and would have one most of them in the auction (according to their closing prices). The #1 I would have finished about $6,000 short on.

Jim

I was looking at the X-Men #1 as well and was gone at 5k. What are your reasons for not thinking it is not a 10K book? It looked like two folks ran the price up quick. Do you think they can make money on the book?

The Purple Label is a killer...an 8.5 blue is a 12,000 book nowadays. The last AF #15 9.0 Purple label on Heritage went for just over 6k (yes it was moderate), so I didn't think an X-Men #1 would break 10k. Hell the cleaning took the penned written date right off, which is the essence of the White Mountain pedigree.

Jim

Believe me, this is not exactly the way I planned for this to end but there are a number of reasons why I chose now to give up.

Interesting thread. Sounds like it became more work than pleasure. Your decision was probably for the best.

Collecting something specific is always work. You just have to make sure it is worth it.

Jim- I did not even notice the WM marking missing. Do you think they were there before the cover was cleaned?

Collecting something specific is always work. You just have to make sure it is worth it.

Jim- I did not even notice the WM marking missing. Do you think they were there before the cover was cleaned?

I don't know for 100% certainty, but the year was clearly being written in on all his WM Marvels from this time period and exists on issue #2 and so forth.

Jim

:sorry: this was my favorite thread. can't wait to see your next goal.

Believe me, this is not exactly the way I planned for this to end but there are a number of reasons why I chose now to give up.

When I made a concious decision for this to be my focus, I never considered the possibility of discovering GA books. I was a Silver guy, always had been and I couldn't see that changing but I never thought that I would become involved in the pedigree book and become exposed to a whole new world . Nor when I started out buying WM's did I ever forsee the numerous problems I would run into. Sometimes books would show up for sale at inopportune times but I always felt like I had to make a serious run at the book/s or perhaps lose out forever. When there is only one of something and I didn't have another book to fall back on, sometimes I had to overpay to acquire a book and couldn't wait for the next copy to show up. Although many board members were very gracious and sold their copies to me and even watched out for me (I would get numerous PM's everytime a new WM showed up on CL, Pedigree, Ebay etc) many others held them hostage and demanded a kings ransom in return.

I also realized I was buying books (usually run books) that I really had no interest in owning other than the fact it was a WM. FF #24, the Infant Terrible book, was my epiphany book. It was made available and at an asking price of $3,700 I came to terms that perhaps this was the end of the line.

I've made many friends during my "quest" and I have no regrets. I have learned a lot about myself and the hobby, and although I will still chase pedigree books I will not limit myself to only one kind. Many people were in my corner and rooting for me and were genuinely excited everytime I posted a new book and got one step closer. For that I will always be grateful.

Jim

Guess, as per usual, I'm late to the party. Was shocked to see this when I checked on the thread tonight.

I'm glad that you're still going after different books, though. Some people, I think, would exit the hobby after putting down a run like that. I'm genuinely glad you are not.

Can't wait to see what books you're going after now.

-Rob-

Just picked up this WM book from the Blazing One. Just an impossible book to find in anything above Fine range.

JourneyIntoMystery91CGC9_2owWhiteMo.jpg

I only own one white mountain (a FF), but they are generally very pretty

I used to own the one that Roy posted, that is, I did until Jim/CGCWorld begged me into trading it to him for another pedigree copy. doh!

I used to own the one that Roy posted, that is, I did until Jim/CGCWorld begged me into trading it to him for another pedigree copy. doh!

Did you buy it from me? hm

Bob, got a scan of yours? It's the Mass copy, right?

Yep, the book started its' way around the boards with George. If I remember correctly, you got it from Metro, right?

Bob, got a scan of yours? It's the Mass copy, right?

Massachusetts pedigree copy isn't as nice. Got great colors, but a bit more wear at the top staple:

JIM91Mass.jpg

Yep, the book started its' way around the boards with George. If I remember correctly, you got it from Metro, right?

Yeah, that sounds about right. (thumbs u