• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

My first MLJ GA book- just got it. I like all the covers posted. Very colorful, action-packed, intense.

That's a helluva first MLJ. Well done! :applause:

2nd Archie, evocative cover, tough book - well done, indeed. :golfclap:

This is my earliest Archie Pep:

100_1128.jpg

Here is a photo of the first pages of the Archie story in Pep 23. I find it incredible that after almost 70 years, Jughead still has the same look and the same hat. Where did Montana come up with the idea for that hat? I don't think I have ever actually seen anyone wear anything like that, yet it seems so natural for Jughead.

Didn't Jackpot 4 come out the same time as Pep 22, and before Pep 23? If so, why does Pep 22 get the full credit for having the first Archie appearance?

105233.jpg.c1c38dfad6e102c4a4482346e78624de.jpg

Edited by TheSurgeon

Here is a photo of the first pages of the Archie story in Pep 23. I find it incredible that after almost 70 years, Jughead still has the same look and the same hat. Where did Montana come up with the idea for that hat? I don't think I have ever actually seen anyone wear anything like that, yet it seems so natural for Jughead.

Didn't Jackpot 4 come out the same time as Pep 22, and before Pep 23? If so, why does Pep 22 get the full credit for having the first Archie appearance?

I recalled seeing something similar on one of the Dead End Kids -- here's a link

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/12/18/comic-book-legends-revealed-186/

Those hats were quite common in the '30s/'40s. They were cut up fedoras with pins/buttons added. Here's a link.

Jackpot 4 came out more or less contemporaneously with Pep 24. It was a quarterly, whereas Pep was a monthly. Pep 22 has a cover date of December 1941 and actually came out in October 1941. Jackpot 4 has a cover date of Winter 1941 and appears to have been released in December 1941.

Your Pep 23 is the second appearance of Archie (thumbs u

Jughead still has the same look and the same hat. Where did Montana come up with the idea for that hat? I don't think I have ever actually seen anyone wear anything like that, yet it seems so natural for Jughead.

Goober:

goober.jpg

Any Andy Griffith experts know if Goober's hat (or even the character) was a homage to Jughead?

Here's a link to a recent news story about George Lindsey donating his now-bronzed Goober hat to the Andy Griffith Museum in Mount Airy.

The museum director said Lindsey got the idea from the hat garage mechanics used to wear.

That picture of Goober in the link from adamstranges's post sure looks a lot like a 1940's Jughead, though.

http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full_story/9672532/article-Lindsey-donates-Goober’s-hat?instance=secondary_news_left_column