• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,373 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2021 at 1:32 AM, szav said:

What's not to like? broken neck, lizard claw for a right hand, groom that looks like he passed out standing up.  With where her right shoulder is, and her left shoulder should be, that's an awfully weird embrace she's making with that left arm too. 

But it's still better than the 7.0 copy of this perhaps least favorite Baker of mine, that must be everyone else's least favorite too...a highest graded 7.0 Baker goes for just $600.  Congrats to whoever, seriously that's still a steal of a deal IMO, you are a true Baker fan to have won this.

image.png.d0e6c42f5f7ccaf8cb76178f164529e4.png

I'll take this over the APAT whatever. At least it's Baker. And I like the girl in the bg. The trellis is nice too.

On 10/11/2021 at 7:25 AM, archiefan said:

Sold the 7.0 to CL and I wish I hadn’t 

Sellers remorse has shattered many a good man.

do you have an opinion on whether or not this is a Baker cover? I’m no expert, but it doesn’t look like it to me

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

The inking on the prominent cop's face, and the precise body language of the thug and the woman, really look like Baker to me. The rest I can believe is Baker (albeit Baker in a bit of a rush).

On 10/11/2021 at 1:32 AM, szav said:

But it's still better than the 7.0 copy of this perhaps least favorite Baker of mine, that must be everyone else's least favorite too...a highest graded 7.0 Baker goes for just $600.  Congrats to whoever, seriously that's still a steal of a deal IMO, you are a true Baker fan to have won this.

image.png.d0e6c42f5f7ccaf8cb76178f164529e4.png

Well, I always prefer 'late Baker St John' to 'early Baker St John'... and the weird titling and numbering kinda bugs my OCD. lol  But other than that, it's quite nice and I'd be happy to own it.   

cop yes, thug no.  It's far easier to copy Baker's women, almost impossible to copy his men.  That's the tell.

I've always liked the Baker cover to Blue Ribbon 2, but I didn't go for it this particular copy this time for the same reasons I haven't gone for this copy in the past - the distributor's huge pencil mark and especially because the interior art is not Baker and not good

Agree with szav, Authentic Police Cases 7 (a verified Baker cover) is a great point of comparison. To my eye, the inking of the clothing wrinkles on both covers is super distinctive, and most likely came from the same hand. 

On 10/11/2021 at 10:44 AM, Dr. Love said:

cop yes, thug no.  It's far easier to copy Baker's women, almost impossible to copy his men.  That's the tell.

I've always liked the Baker cover to Blue Ribbon 2, but I didn't go for it this particular copy this time for the same reasons I haven't gone for this copy in the past - the distributor's huge pencil mark and especially because the interior art is not Baker and not good

I have a different tell.  Many of the women he draws, their faces.  I can’t tell 100% every Baker from every non-Baker, but there are 100+ Bakers where the rendering  of the woman’s face is unmistakable.  It’s as clear as the way Frazetta drew a woman’s body.  Probably more so.  Not all women, not Fox.  St. John in particular.  I’d guess if I didn’t know the catalog, I could guess perfectly whether it’s Baker or not, if there’s a woman’s face on the cover. I’ve never seen anyone else draw them remotely similar.  Feldstein was closest, but not close. Kamen could mimic Baker and/or Vice-versa on a lot of stuff, but not St. John books.  Those are all unmistakable. 

On 10/12/2021 at 11:36 AM, 10centcomics said:

I'm shocked there wasn't more activity around that one as it's such a beautiful cover. As the winning bidder, I'm not complaining:bigsmile:

Congrats! Did you get any of the other Bakers in the MCS auctions? I was surprised how aggressively some of the other issues were bid up.