• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,504 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2021 at 8:48 PM, szav said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I think this is generally accepted as Baker's first professional work now (per Art of Glamour).  Although OPG and CGC haven't given it the official stamp of approval, the market sure seems to accept it.

Perhaps this was a better deal a few months ago and I should have went one or several bids more, as I was disappointed underbidder on this one .  One of those I thought I was being totally ridiculous with how high I went no way I could lose bids.  Final price was 4370 and it looks a million times better than the Promise copy.

image.png.24dba92d52d89fdbb7a29e118c92f8f4.png

I meant it! I know you are a fan as well. I have a couple copies but not up in that range...

On 10/25/2021 at 4:14 PM, comicnoir said:

One of my favorite 5.5's. Very noirish cover with a tragic letter and mocking bf.

diary secrets 20 cgc5.5.jpg

I've fallen hard for this cover myself. Beautiful copy!  (thumbsu

Hi. My name is GreatCeasarsGhost, and I’m a Baker-holic. Now, will someone please explain to me why it’s this cover that’s setting off the seismographs? I get that it’s intense, but the guy doesn’t look Baker to me. I think it’s the other guy

sorry, I know this isn’t Baker romance, but you guys are the ones in the know

D18F0810-7A1A-4189-966D-A7C55C89A0CA.jpeg

E09BF53A-59EE-4303-BAE5-D78AB4B88CCC.jpeg

On 10/29/2021 at 12:10 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hi. My name is GreatCeasarsGhost, and I’m a Baker-holic. Now, will someone please explain to me why it’s this cover that’s setting off the seismographs? I get that it’s intense, but the guy doesn’t look Baker to me. I think it’s the other guy

always thought the gal was Baker, the guy not so much ?

On 10/29/2021 at 3:10 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It's all Baker. He even signs it.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:10 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

will someone please explain to me why it’s this cover that’s setting off the seismographs?

I believe it's because of SOTI.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:13 PM, szav said:

Looks like all Baker to me and it bears his signature (though the label clearly states Matt Baker and Roy Osrin cover, that takes nothing away from it).  It's not just intense, the babe is great even by Baker standards IMO, one of his best drawn ones, the layout and angle are great, and as mentioned the SOTI connection.  It also seems relatively rare.  I'm not sure if it actually is or if it's just tightly held (it's a Gerber 6).  You rarely see it offered above 5.0.  This particular copy is a nice 9.4 by Promise Collection standards too I think.  It's been spared the ugly dust shadows as well.

For me it's just one of those books that gave me the omg I gotta have it no matter what, I must find a copy or my collection is incomplete feeling.  Love at first sight.  I believe when we did that Baker poll a few years ago it was my number #2 behind Seven Seas 4.  A kindly boardie let me buy his undercopy a few years ago and it's going to the grave with me.

Always loved it, as exhibited by my avatar. Ppl went after it for the SOTI connection, but for me the cover was the thing. I saw two Canadian copies that were high grade, maybe better than than the Promise, but the interior was a different issue. It was numbered APC 8. Passed on both to my ever living regret.

Edited by comicnoir

On 10/29/2021 at 6:36 PM, Chief1332 said:

Guy may look a bit rougher, meaner, because it's not a romance type of book.  Softer, gentler, more handsome gents on the romance covers?

It's one of the roughest, meanest thugs from Baker during this time period.  He naturally drew handsome faces, making it possible he drew some inspiration from Kamen for the baddie on this cover.

Edited by adamstrange

On 10/29/2021 at 2:10 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

If I'm not mistaken, the idea of having Baker only draw the female character and others fill in the rest only happened during the Iger Shop/Fox era. I think the St. John covers are all entirely Baker pencils.