• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,373 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2021 at 10:25 PM, JvR11 said:

Nice to see the 2008 thread lives on the first page! I was recently looking at the HA auctions coming up. I'm sure these Bakers will fetch a premium as they deserve. I kind of weep a little to think of all the ones I let go at fractions of the prices. But, glad I have the ones I do. I have All Picture All True 1 8.5 but never was able to get the 2. Probably never will unless it's at a local garage sale.

APATLSa.jpg

The last book I needed to complete my Baker St John romance set. I finally landed a 4.5 that I've since upgraded (slightly) to a 5.0. Given how spotty St John's circulation was, I imagine that these books made up of remaindered copies probably only were distributed to newsstands within five blocks of their offices. "Hey Matt, on your way back uptown, see if that cigar store around the corner will put these 10 books on the rack."

Edited by Sqeggs

On 10/10/2021 at 12:38 PM, szav said:

It's a tough call...the hands keep me skeptical.  Nice copy though!

That's funny, I'm a relative newbie to these did-he-draw-it debates but I was thinking the same thing re the hands. It looks to me like (perhaps) a well-done swipe from a photo, but by an artist without the depth of knowledge of anatomy that Baker had.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, Sqeggs said:

When I won a raw copy of the 2 on eBay, I believe it still wasn't listed in Overstreet. I don't seem to have a scan of this book graded, but it's a 7.0. It's been superceded on the census by the only other graded copy, which is a 7.5. My guess is that there may only be five or so copies in existence. 

$T2eC16ZHJH0FG1L8LFqzBS!GZbvYFg~~60_57.jpeg

Here's my theory on this one. The hands are clearly not Baker style. I'm thinking they were an after thought. I'm thinking this cover was modeled after Klimt, The Kiss.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:01 PM, JvR11 said:

Here's my theory on this one. The hands are clearly not Baker style. I'm thinking they were an after thought. I'm thinking this cover was modeled after Klimt, The Kiss.

Hmm. Maybe? The frilly detailing on the woman's clothing and the way they both have parts in their hair made me think it was swiped from a specific photo. (If that's the case, it's possible her right hand in the photo wasn't doing what the artist wanted it to do.)

On 10/10/2021 at 5:01 PM, Point Five said:

Hmm. Maybe? The frilly detailing on the woman's clothing and the way they both have parts in their hair made me think it was swiped from a specific photo. (If that's the case, it's possible her right hand in the photo wasn't doing what the artist wanted it to do.)

It's not just the hand, nothing in this drawing looks like Baker to me. The faces, the awkward pose, the lifelessness. One thing about Baker, his characters always looked like they had a soul. This isn't even a department store dummy.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:12 PM, comicnoir said:

It's not just the hand, nothing in this drawing looks like Baker to me. The faces, the awkward pose, the lifelessness. One thing about Baker, his characters always looked like they had a soul. This isn't even a department store dummy.

^^

bart simpson no soul GIF

On 10/10/2021 at 8:14 PM, comicnoir said:

C

On 10/10/2021 at 8:12 PM, comicnoir said:

ongrats on this great copy. I didn't even know a 7.0 had popped up.

What could have also happened is that another artist took previous Baker illustrations (we've seen this in other instances) and used it for APATLS. If you look at the male figure he looks a lot like the pose in CL26.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:41 PM, comicnoir said:

Actually the way her head is placed, it looks like her neck has been broken.

Ron, I'm starting to think this is just not your favorite cover.